First litter, 9 weeks

Calexv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Manx girl is currently 61 days pregnant with two little ones. As per vet suggestion we started tracking her temp at the weekend, she was sitting at 38.2 as a base until yesterday where it was 37.5 in morning and 37.4 in evening, today it was 37.6. She has been extra cuddly, and been scratching at her nesting boxes but still eating away. She has long black hair so discharge wouldn't be easy to see before she would lick it so I can't really say if she has any or not.

Vet said that anything under 37.7 was a sign that labor was pending, however unsure if its normal for it to go up and down a little bit? It's only 0.2 of a difference I know so don't want to harass the vet again haha

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There’s no use in bothering your cat for a temperature, especially at 61 days. Most cats go 63-68 days in pregnancy, and temperature is not always a reliable indicator of impending labor.

She’ll have them soon enough — when the kittens and her body are ready. She’ll likely let you know when it’s time, and you’ll see ripples down her sides and heavier breathing as labor progresses.

Have you bred her with another Manx? How old is your cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calexv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've not done her rectal temp since this post, she had an egg white discharge last night that I believe may be her mucus plug however not noticing any change in behaviour this evening. I did do her underarm temperature while she was getting belly rubs this evening as she doesn't care about it and it was 37.4 so no more of a drop so not hopefully it's any time soon 🤣

She is not bred with another Manx (she's technically a Cymric but most just know them as Manx), the father is an Oriental. I did not think the risk of Manx syndrome that increases greatly with two Manx was worth it at all, there's still a high chance of some stumpies like her though as its a dominant gene 😊 She is two and a half, this is her one and only litter and vet has seen her all through the pregnancy and very happy with her and her babies :)

Attached what I think was her plug?

Attachments

Calexv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has some clear liquid now leaking from vulva, it's only little drops?

Calexv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s normal too. It’s probably from her water sac.
Does this mean things are getting started? She's wanting me to rub her tummy which isn't like her at all either. She's licked herself a little around vulva and her nipples but only, but not seeing any obvious signs of anything different with her. She definitely doesn't seem distressed or in any more discomfort than the regular heavily pregnant would feel haha.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Things are probably getting started, but labor can take awhile. First stage lasts 24 hours, followed by pushing. It could begin soon, or could take a day or two. When you start seeing ripples in her sides you’ll know she’s contracting. She’s very close though since she’s lost her plug.

Calexv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Things are probably getting started, but labor can take awhile. First stage lasts 24 hours, followed by pushing. It could begin soon, or could take a day or two. When you start seeing ripples in her sides you’ll know she’s contracting. She’s very close though since she’s lost her plug.
Thank you :) she has very long hair so not sure I'd see much movement until they are quite strong, as even when babies kick I can't see it but it feels very strong 🙈 she's fallen asleep in her nesting box after two consecutive trips to litter box so it seems she's not overly bothered right now haha.

Calexv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her milk has come in today, and she's been even more affectionate and chirping when I dare stand up and stop stroking her so hoping we will see these babies by end of the weekend 🤞 mostly so I can go back to having a full night's sleep rather than waking every time she moves at all haha

Calexv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no behavioural changes, but her underarm temp is 37 tonight. Thought I'd check just because she was lying getting her belly rubbed. She's going between it or lying sprawled out on the floor 😂
Kittens feel like they are doing somersaults in there, they are clearly very comfy 😂

Calexv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the updates!
She has been meowing like she is in heat since 8am this morning, very very restless and a short growl occasionally. Since a twitch in her back a few times too so think we have contractions. Looks like rest of her plug is coming away too 🤞

Attachments

Calexv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20230324_153617.jpg

Started pushed at 2 and by 3 we had all 3little ones, healthy and latching on :)