First Liter.....

KatLover88$

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mama kitty Harley, is having her first liter, she had the first kitten about 5 hours ago, and hasn't had anymore since she is now bleeding but doeant seem in distress is this normal? She still feels like there is at least one more kitten in there. Help please!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There can be several hours in between kittens, sometimes even a day or more. Don't worry about it unless she's actively straining for more than half an hour or otherwise seems to be in distress. Keep the emergency vet's number close by.

How much is she bleeding? She'll definitely need a vet if its more than a little.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatLover88$

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its just a little bit now, she is licking herself she actually licked most of the sack off the first kitten before the head was completely out, it came out tail first, and I helped her get the head out she was crying and kept licking the kittens bottom, in gently pulled the kittens head out and mama licked the kittens face and it seems to be ok, mama is resting now, is it normal for her to go to sleep? Does this mean she is done?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It just means she is tired and needs rest. If there are more kittens she will have them when she resumes labor.

Is the kitten nursing?

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a bit worried about the bleeding. Is it fresh red blood? Or a bit mixed with water?

If she seems happy and content, is maybe even purring, and feeding the kitten, she might be done. You can place your hand on her belly to feel if you feel any movement. Don't put too much pressure. You can also try giving her some of her favorite food - mine always eat like crazy when they are done. They usually don't eat too much or even nothing a day before labor, so it never hurts to give her some. If she eats, I wouldn't worry too much.

If she wasn't very big, it could be a single kitten. If you think she was rather large and you felt a lot of movement before, it is possible there are more, and they can come hours or even a day after the first (as said above). As long as she hasn't had any contractions after the last one, and she is not stressed, she should be okay. If she has pushed and nothing came, and she has now stopped, you will need a vet.

KatLover88$

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so the blood was a dark red, almost as if someone had cut themselves, it did stop and didn't seem to be too much, she licked it up. However she has eaten and the first kitten has been non stop nursing, mama has been very relaxed etc. But I do feel a bulge in her lower abdomen as if its another kitten very close to her bottom. I've not been bothering her, but everytime I leave the room she starts crying and comes to find me and brings me back into the spot I've made for her. She's been wanting me next to her and will even leave the kitten to come look for me, so I've been camping out with her all night and day. Should I be worried??

KatLover88$

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The blood was like if you cut your finger it was a darker blood, and the kitten has been nursing, mama ate and had something to drink and had a couple treats, she will however get up and leave the kitten to come find me if I leave her side, which worries me a little. She however, does feel as if there is still a bulge in her belly....she acts as if she is done, but then starts to have contractions, she doesn't seem in distress though....????

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may have another kitten to deliver still. Just be patient and continue to camp out with her if you can. Another labor can take hours.

It’s great the kitten is nursing well. The amount of blood sounds normal.

Hang in there!