First Hairball and some Squirts

nat_urge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, Im a first time cat owner and have had Skype (the cat) for about 6 months now. He just passed his first hairball today (that ive seen, he is about 9 months old), which was a fun surprise as ive only ever had dogs. He also had some 💩diarrhea that kind of looks like bile. I know hairballs happen and sometimes the squirts happen when the food or treats change, which I've realized require consistency. My main question is, are there any signs I should look for that would be concerning? Skype is a little less peppy, which id expect but still has an appetite and is drinking lots of water, there isn't hair or anything in his poop. If the diarrhea continues I plan on taking him to a vet just to be sure. Is there anything other than deshedding or grooming I can do on a regular basis to help prevent hairballs in the future? Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this, and for all the amazing info on here in general!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the Cat Site! You've come to the right place for all things cat!

There are different kinds of food you can buy that helps to pass the hairballs (it's marked on the bag), and also an additive that will help grease the hairballs through. Mine came from the vet, but it smelled like fish oil to me. For that reason, I can't feed it to Mingo as he is allergic to anything fishy. So we have a few hairballs in the late spring or early summer. Grooming is the best way get the extra hair out, and I've found a flea comb to be the best on getting it out. That said about the dry bagged food, it's best not to feed that to male cats as it can cause urinary crystals. I feed my two only one meal a day of dry food. If Skye is drinking lots of water, it shouldn't be a problem.

If he continues to have diarrhea, you can get some Fortiflora at a pet store that you add to his food. It's a probiotic for cats. The thing to watch for is blood in the stool, in which case, take him to the vet because something else is going on.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hairballs can be treated with raw egg yolk (no egg white) or egg yolk lecithin along with daily brushing. There's info here: How Best to Manage Hairballs Store bought hairball remedies can work, too.

FortiFlora isn't the best probiotic to use. The bacteria CFU is just too low and it's only one strain. There are plenty of other brands you can use, even Human brands. See Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis FortiFlora is best used as a topper to get inappetant cats to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nat_urge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the info and links! It seems like he is feeling better today, and has less funky poops 🥳I give Skype wet food in the mornings and dry at night. I will definitely try the egg yolk! and more brushing..the creature Hates it. Thanks again for the advice! google searches had me down a rabbit hole 🙏😓

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gracie threw up her first hairball (at least the first that I've seen/found) over the weekend. She looked shocked at what came out of her. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nat_urge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a cutie!! 😍see I wish I wouldve seen it in action, I just found a nice little surprise on the rug when I walked in 🥲

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a cutie!! 😍see I wish I wouldve seen it in action, I just found a nice little surprise on the rug when I walked in 🥲
Better to see it with your eyes than with your bare feet. :lol: One of our previous cats would throw up hairball constantly. And getting hairball remedies in him was impossible.