First Cat Shelter

wily1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the other morning just before I left for work at 0450 AM I did a double take as I have a second floor condo and saw a cat looking at me through the sliding glass door. I know my neighbor had been feeding a little white and black cat so I think it was that one. Then I'm sure a minute later I saw a second cat, this one a solid color hard to tell in the dark. So I spoke to my neighbor on the first floor and she told me there was a second brown cat as well. She actually had the b&w kitty in her place but has a cat already. I also have a cat, who gets along good with other cats but not in his house lol.

Anyway here in Manitoba it gets pretty damn cold in the winter, -35 Celsius is not uncommon, a few years ago with the windchill they said it was actually colder than the Planet Mars. So anyway I decided I had to do something and already seen plans for simple shelters. I already had a totebox and a bit of Styrofoam Insulation here so I made up a quick shelter and put one of my hot seats I use for hunting inside. I still didn't think it was adequate but the temps have been unseasonably warm so I waited for a friend to get me some straw so I could insulate it better. So I took an insulated shopping bag and glued and bolted in some more Styrofoam. I then packed straw all around and drilled some very small holes near the top sides just to let out moisture from condensation. I put the hot seat back inside and a little flap over the door. So basically he/she has an insulated hut with an added bonus of a sleeping bag inside. Rita told me the cat was in there last night so hopefully it will enjoy the improvements.

It doesn't look pretty but from someone who has spent a lot of time outdoors in the cold, I think I have it insulated pretty good. The hotseat is made out of very dense foam, and from experience they keep my butt warm even in extreme temps. They also won't soak up any moisture and freeze. So its the best I can do, Tim already checked it out and fit him with room to spare (he is just over ten pounds).

I hadn't added the door flap or straw yet in the picture, did the straw part on my deck and good thing as it was a bit messy.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A very good friend lives in Winnipeg, so I know what you are talking about. You are very kind to take care of these cats and make a shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wily1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A very good friend lives in Winnipeg, so I know what you are talking about. You are very kind to take care of these cats and make a shelter.
I'm originally from Winnipeg but moved to Brandon just over 20 years ago.