First Attempt At Tnr Got Complicated

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I'm here because my first attempt at doing TNR has gotten more complicated than I expected. And I haven't even gotten a trap yet!

A while ago my brother moved into a house a couple of streets over from us and he mentioned a "crazy cat lady" that had a bunch of cats. Well, of course after that I was on the look out. I found food, water, and a box set out on the porch of the house right across the street from him. So I started keeping an eye out on the house and started keeping track of the cats I saw.

One classic tabby.
One mackerel tabby.
One chubby black cat.
One orange cat that always kept his distance.

There are other cats around the neighborhood, but those are the ones I saw at that house. And it stayed that way for a while.

Then everything started happening at once. The orange cat who I had only seen from a distance allowed me to get relatively close to him and he doesn't look great. I had always gotten a certain sense from him that made him seem old. Like he had seen a lot in his time. Well, he's not in the best shape. His ears are always at a certain angle and I'm not sure if it's intentional or what, but I've never seem them at a different angle. His eyes seem small and squinty, but he seems alright otherwise. He's not thin, his coat is dull, but not messy. He's cautious, but doesn't seem outright terrified.

I also saw a cat that's mostly white with some orange splotches sitting on the porch under the bench. I had never seen this cat before.

That same day, on my way home I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye. It was the orange cat in the backyard, but I noticed he wasn't alone back there. I noticed a pretty big looking blue tabby short hair on the stairs of the deck in the back. And a long-haired solid blue cat. And a long-hair solid blue kitten.

The kitten was what worried me. I had been hoping they were all neutered since they seemed to be getting a long very well and I hadn't noticed a bunch of kittens or anything, but then there was this little one that was probably a few months or so old.

The next day I saw a small, medium haired dilute tortoiseshell sitting by the stairs. Then there was another dilute tortie, this one bigger and short-haired, laying on the porch with the classic tabby. Seeing these cats, I decided I wanted to do something about it. I got in contact with a TNR group who said they couldn't come trap cats until May, but said if I could get traps and do the trapping then they could keep the cats for recovery and take them to the vet. The county is currently covering TNR, so it would be free. So then it was a matter of getting traps and also trying to get in contact with the person feeding these cats. I was hoping I could try to find the caretaker outside rather than knocking on the door. Or if I couldn't get in contact with them then I could ask my brother to let me put traps in his yard.

But yesterday I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. I saw two cats dart out from under the house. I barely saw the first one since I just caught to motion out of the corner of me eye, but the second I believe was the white and orange cat I had seen before. It got up on the porch and slipped into the house through a cat door that I hadn't seen. Right after that, I noticed a little face in the window and I believe it was the medium-haired dilute tortie I had seen before. So now it looks like these cats have access to the inside and I'm wondering if this is really a case of someone rescuing ferals/strays or if it's someone hoarding cats. They seem pretty well cared for, but I can't imagine how this person could possibly keep up on vet bills if they got sick and they don't seem completely tame.

Any advice, tips, experience, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try talking to the person. They may be in need and even desire help. It may have just gotten out of hand for them. Not everyone who has a lot of cats is boarding. They may be doing some feeding and minimal care of semi ferals but appreciate help. They may be elderly. They may have been feeding out of sympathy but have no way to Spay and neuter. Please don’t assume it’s a “Crazy cat lady.” It could be but try to find out the details and then see if you can help. Make sure they know you are not judging and that you love kitties. Tell them you noticed their sweet little kitties and then try to open the conversation. They may be afraid you will cause them trouble with the kitties. I did rescues myself and would have loved the help. I managed to get them all spayed and neutered, vetted and 3/4 or more socialized and adopted, but at first they were turning up like mosquitos. Everywhere! It took me time to get through the process since I am older, can’t drive far and not one neighbor would help control the situation. I finally quit asking them. If you care, you may be the answer they have been hoping for. I sure hope that is the case! I’m so glad you care! You’re awesome! I wish you were my neighbor!
Please keep us updated. :rock::thanks:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I think my first thought is whether you could set up a camera discreetly so that you can monitor the comings and goings, and hopefully get a better idea of what all is happening?
Hmm... I'm not sure. I'd probably have to ask my brother if he'd be okay with it since I don't know where else to put one. We do have a camera, but it's already been mounted. I'm not sure how easy it is to take it down. The other camera is meant for indoor use only. But it would certainly be useful.

Can you go knock on the door and talk to the person who lives there?

Crazy idea, I know :tongue:.
Try talking to the person. They may be in need and even desire help. It may have just gotten out of hand for them. Not everyone who has a lot of cats is boarding. They may be doing some feeding and minimal care of semi ferals but appreciate help. They may be elderly. They may have been feeding out of sympathy but have no way to Spay and neuter. Please don’t assume it’s a “Crazy cat lady.” It could be but try to find out the details and then see if you can help. Make sure they know you are not judging and that you love kitties. Tell them you noticed their sweet little kitties and then try to open the conversation. They may be afraid you will cause them trouble with the kitties. I did rescues myself and would have loved the help. I managed to get them all spayed and neutered, vetted and 3/4 or more socialized and adopted, but at first they were turning up like mosquitos. Everywhere! It took me time to get through the process since I am older, can’t drive far and not one neighbor would help control the situation. I finally quit asking them. If you care, you may be the answer they have been hoping for. I sure hope that is the case! I’m so glad you care! You’re awesome! I wish you were my neighbor!
Please keep us updated. :rock::thanks:
I do want to get in contact with this person. I have some anxiety issues, though, that make it a bit difficult for me. I've sort of been arguing with myself over whether or not I should just go up and knock on the door. I just don't know anything about this person or how to go about talking to her if I did do so. I can be very awkward when it comes to communicating with people and I don't want to accidentally offend her. I've been wanting to try to catch them outside so that way I could sort of casually start up a conversation and get a feel for what she's like. But I don't know. I've no idea when she feeds the cats to know when to catch her. Maybe if I could get someone to go with me it would be easier, but not sure if any

@Jcatbird
I'm not trying to assume anything about this person since I clearly don't know anything about her. Just considering all of the options. I don't believe hoarding is defined by a particular number but by how many a particular person can care for. One person can have twenty cats and not be hoarding, but someone else could be hoarding at four. My concern is if this lady can actually care for them. Perhaps she is someone who decided to care for ferals and it got out of hand. I can understand that. But it would be different if she was going out of her way to get cats. The problem is I just don't know. If I want to help, I'll have to find out one way or another. It would be great if I could learn more before getting in contact with her so that way I know exactly what the situation is and how to treat it, but that's pretty hard to do.

I'm definitely going to keep trying. I'm communicating with the TNR organization and trying to get things sorted out. One thing I don't want to do is offer my help if I can't actually help. At this point there's not much stopping me, but I'm one of those people that likes to be extra cautious.

I'll definitely keep updating. I had intended on starting a thread once I knew I was going to be trapping anyway, but things got a bit more complicated and it seemed best to get help from others.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Every idea and piece of advice is greatly appreciated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always go a totally different route. You could just bake some cookies or buy some cat food and walk over to say,” I had these extras and was just looking for a neighbor who might enjoy them.” It might start a conversation and it might not but at least you would know if the person is pleasant. If they decline, just walk away and if they accept you can say, I see you have a pretty kitty. You could just pick some flowers too. If a friend could go with you, that would certainly help you out. If you really can’t make yourself face them you could just put some cat food at the door with a note. Wait and see if they take in the cat food! At least then you might know the kitties are eating.
I think you are great for caring. Most people would ignore the situation and there could be a person and/or kitties that need help. I wish everyone cared! Good luck on everything. I hope you can find a way to figure this all out. I’ll be hoping that there is just a nice person there that will welcome your kindness! Who knows, you might even make a new, cat loving, friend! :heartshape:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First I want to say --- - a BIG BIIIG yeah for you for noticing the kitties, and being concerned enough to continue to monitor them!!!!!!!! Another big woohoo to you for your lack of jumping to conclusions, and being kind enough to not immediately assume you understand her situation. I agree - hoarding is defined by things other than straight numbers - and hoarding or not, she may be very nervous about neighbors approaching her about them. Obviously we can't really come to a conclusions - just a guess - until you can talk to her - -- -but chances are, she's had neighbors who haven't been kind in the past.

I can honestly say that every neighborhood I've lived in, anyone who seems to be working with strays and/or TNRing cats is sadly more often than not branded a "nut." We had someone in our neighborhood caring for a mom and litter that had been dropped off in their (locked) garage. Sadly, neighborhood tongues started wagging about "that house with at least one cat and all those kittens (3!) that no one seems to care for." When I finally approached the house (after two kittens ran in front of our car as we drove home --- seemed like a good time), they were VERY apprehensive about opening up (they knew the neighborhood was upset), they finally realized hubby and I just wanted to help. They were suddenly SO relieved to find someone on "their (and the cat and kitten's) side. Theytold us how she'd been shoved, pregnant, into their garage, and how they'd never had a cat and had no idea what to do. It all ended up in a WONDERFUL conversation with them - - - and we ended up getting mom spayed, and we took the babies home, socialized them, and found all 3 homes. They now have the shelter with heated mat we gave them, and little Maggie had become an important part of their lives.

ANYWAY...... (sorry)

I too can be shy, and am a little fearful; approaching people I don't know (particularly if I have a "sensitive" subject) often worry I won't get out/get across what I want to say correctly. Luckily my hubby knows my anxiety and comes with me (to be my Cyrano if you will). As noted by Jcatbird Jcatbird noted - - I think it's important you approach her (and like me- - find someone you trust, brother or someone to go with you), and showing up with cookies isn't a bad bribe...er...idea. :)

If you approach it as a positive thing - - "I've seen these gorgeous kitties around - - and I'd been SO worried about them, out here all alone. I just kept praying they had food and water, let alone a warm place to sleep - - and then I noticed a few actually came your way!" If you immediately approach it her from the angle of "Im worried about the kitties - I know helping them can be ALOT to take on - -and I was wondering if maybe I can help you somehow." Chances are - - she'll be so thankful that someone's concerned for HER (and the kitties!) that this will be alot easier than just trapping and walking away. And I bet the conversation flows after that. :)

Keep us posted - - and again - - - thanks for caring!!!!!!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would approach her and offer help. I wouldn't say anything at all that hints at judgement. I wouldn't even say you are worried or concerned just let her know that you have some connections and can help get them spayed/ neutered if she/ he needs the help. Tell her you are a fellow cat lover, say how you've noticed the cats ask if she needs help with feeding etc (if you are willing to obviously). Basically just go and offer aid and do a little fact-finding. He/she might be hesitant to trust at first so after that first contact leave some food or litter on the doorstep with a note with your phone number or your house number. Even though you are across the street the person might be under too much anxiety when you talk to them and could forget that detail very very quickly.

If you do bring flowers make sure they are not toxic to cats obviously. No lilies etc.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always go a totally different route. You could just bake some cookies or buy some cat food and walk over to say,” I had these extras and was just looking for a neighbor who might enjoy them.” It might start a conversation and it might not but at least you would know if the person is pleasant. If they decline, just walk away and if they accept you can say, I see you have a pretty kitty. You could just pick some flowers too. If a friend could go with you, that would certainly help you out. If you really can’t make yourself face them you could just put some cat food at the door with a note. Wait and see if they take in the cat food! At least then you might know the kitties are eating.
I think you are great for caring. Most people would ignore the situation and there could be a person and/or kitties that need help. I wish everyone cared! Good luck on everything. I hope you can find a way to figure this all out. I’ll be hoping that there is just a nice person there that will welcome your kindness! Who knows, you might even make a new, cat loving, friend! :heartshape:
That's a good idea. I'll definitely keep it in mind. And I will try to get someone to go with me if/when I go to the door. Even if nothing else, having someone else there will prevent me from backing out at the last second!

Thank you. I was going to let it be when I thought it was a few cats who seemed to already be neutered, but the numbers just keep increasing. If I'm seeing this many cats, I can only imagine how many I might not be seeing at all, especially since they have access to inside. Seeing the kitten was really a wake up call since that suggest there's at least some cats who aren't neutered. I could certainly use another friend though. Lol. I don't have many.

First I want to say --- - a BIG BIIIG yeah for you for noticing the kitties, and being concerned enough to continue to monitor them!!!!!!!! Another big woohoo to you for your lack of jumping to conclusions, and being kind enough to not immediately assume you understand her situation. I agree - hoarding is defined by things other than straight numbers - and hoarding or not, she may be very nervous about neighbors approaching her about them. Obviously we can't really come to a conclusions - just a guess - until you can talk to her - -- -but chances are, she's had neighbors who haven't been kind in the past.

I can honestly say that every neighborhood I've lived in, anyone who seems to be working with strays and/or TNRing cats is sadly more often than not branded a "nut." We had someone in our neighborhood caring for a mom and litter that had been dropped off in their (locked) garage. Sadly, neighborhood tongues started wagging about "that house with at least one cat and all those kittens (3!) that no one seems to care for." When I finally approached the house (after two kittens ran in front of our car as we drove home --- seemed like a good time), they were VERY apprehensive about opening up (they knew the neighborhood was upset), they finally realized hubby and I just wanted to help. They were suddenly SO relieved to find someone on "their (and the cat and kitten's) side. Theytold us how she'd been shoved, pregnant, into their garage, and how they'd never had a cat and had no idea what to do. It all ended up in a WONDERFUL conversation with them - - - and we ended up getting mom spayed, and we took the babies home, socialized them, and found all 3 homes. They now have the shelter with heated mat we gave them, and little Maggie had become an important part of their lives.

ANYWAY...... (sorry)

I too can be shy, and am a little fearful; approaching people I don't know (particularly if I have a "sensitive" subject) often worry I won't get out/get across what I want to say correctly. Luckily my hubby knows my anxiety and comes with me (to be my Cyrano if you will). As noted by Jcatbird Jcatbird noted - - I think it's important you approach her (and like me- - find someone you trust, brother or someone to go with you), and showing up with cookies isn't a bad bribe...er...idea. :)

If you approach it as a positive thing - - "I've seen these gorgeous kitties around - - and I'd been SO worried about them, out here all alone. I just kept praying they had food and water, let alone a warm place to sleep - - and then I noticed a few actually came your way!" If you immediately approach it her from the angle of "Im worried about the kitties - I know helping them can be ALOT to take on - -and I was wondering if maybe I can help you somehow." Chances are - - she'll be so thankful that someone's concerned for HER (and the kitties!) that this will be alot easier than just trapping and walking away. And I bet the conversation flows after that. :)

Keep us posted - - and again - - - thanks for caring!!!!!!
Thank you! I've always loved cats and maybe when I was younger I could have looked away, but it's a lot harder now. I know what it is to love and care for cats and I've spent too much time on this site. I've read about people trying and struggling to care for ferals. And I always try to avoid assuming things. I've seen people do it. I've seen people assume things about me and it can be irritating. I've always been pretty good at seeing different perspectives, though, which helps. I wouldn't be surprised if people had been mean to her. I seriously doubt anyone has tried to help her. Most people turn and look the other way in this neighborhood.

I can certainly understand being thought of in a certain way just because of a love of cats or animals in general. There aren't many people in my family or in my area that take a love of animals as far as I do.

Thank you for your encouragement and for sharing your own story. It makes me feel a lot better. I'll certainly be trying to find someone who could go with me. I don't have many options since my family isn't exactly tight knit and I don't have many friends, but I think the one friend I do have would go. It's just a matter of if she has time.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would approach her and offer help. I wouldn't say anything at all that hints at judgement. I wouldn't even say you are worried or concerned just let her know that you have some connections and can help get them spayed/ neutered if she/ he needs the help. Tell her you are a fellow cat lover, say how you've noticed the cats ask if she needs help with feeding etc (if you are willing to obviously). Basically just go and offer aid and do a little fact-finding. He/she might be hesitant to trust at first so after that first contact leave some food or litter on the doorstep with a note with your phone number or your house number. Even though you are across the street the person might be under too much anxiety when you talk to them and could forget that detail very very quickly.

If you do bring flowers make sure they are not toxic to cats obviously. No lilies etc.
Ah, thank you for the reply. I just got the alert right when I hit send. I'll definitely keep your advice in mind. Leaving food or litter afterwards is a good idea.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help everyone. I just wanted to let you all know what my plans are as of right now. I'm going to my dad's this weekend which will prevent me from being able to check on the cats, but I'll ask him about borrowing his trap. I'm also going to try to talk to my brother in order to gather as much information as I can. If I can know anything about this person beforehand, then that's great. For the time being, I'm going to keep trying different times to see if I can catch the person outside as I try to find someone to go with me and make plans to go up to the door. We'll see which happens first. Hopefully we can get a slightly warmer day for that as it's about to get quite cold again. I doubt I, or the cats, will be wanting to be outside much.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just go with the approach that, hey, you wanted to help the cats, and, hey, look, you noticed she was already helping the cats, yay! And maybe the 2 of you could coordinate efforts, etc. That way you can find out what she's already done and what still needs doing.

Cats and Bees

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You beat me to it! I was going to suggest showing up with some cat food and mentioning how much she loves cats to start the conversation.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about your post more. I think if the person is willing to accept help you should look for a rescue or TNR organization in your area that can provide more traps. With just one trap this job could take a lot of time and go very slowly. That's more stress on the owner because it'd take many visits. I think you could also use more help. I'm inferring from your post that you haven't trapped before- and that really shouldn't be a deterrent but this sounds like a bigger job. It's not just a small group. The potential is for 10's of cats. What you see outside might just be a smaller subset of what is inside. Having some extra hands that are experienced can make things go smoother and there might be cases that are tricky.

I trap. I found it easy to get started but there was quite a-lot of heart-pounding moments and feeling like I didn't know what to do. That's unnecessary. Yeah everyone can trap- it's really not that hard but the mental/ emotional component and troubleshooting can feel overwhelming at first and gets far far easier with experience. Dealing with health issues, testing etc also has a learning curve and having someone experienced who knows what to say to the owner if there is any bad news is vital.

I'm a member of several local facebook groups for my state- community cats, TNR, Feral rescue etc. Rescue orgs pay attention to those local sites and for cases like this I find there's a lot of help out there. You might even find people that are willing to provide help by going with you to talk to the owner or by providing literature that helps you know what to say.

So this weekend maybe join some of those groups. I am not a huge fan of facebook and really only use it for cat rescue and my local city groups but those are indispensable resources.

If you are someone who runs more to the anxious side normally- as a lot of us animal-oriented people do- you might find that getting some extra hands and expertise could totally change your experience with this. Afterall, what you want to accomplish here is very worthy of your time and worth the time of others who are involved in your locality and it could be overwhelmingly helpful to this person who is trying to care for so many cats.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just go with the approach that, hey, you wanted to help the cats, and, hey, look, you noticed she was already helping the cats, yay! And maybe the 2 of you could coordinate efforts, etc. That way you can find out what she's already done and what still needs doing.
Yes, I think that would be a good idea. I actually was wanting to help with ferals even before I knew about this colony.

I've been thinking about your post more. I think if the person is willing to accept help you should look for a rescue or TNR organization in your area that can provide more traps. With just one trap this job could take a lot of time and go very slowly. That's more stress on the owner because it'd take many visits. I think you could also use more help. I'm inferring from your post that you haven't trapped before- and that really shouldn't be a deterrent but this sounds like a bigger job. It's not just a small group. The potential is for 10's of cats. What you see outside might just be a smaller subset of what is inside. Having some extra hands that are experienced can make things go smoother and there might be cases that are tricky.

I trap. I found it easy to get started but there was quite a-lot of heart-pounding moments and feeling like I didn't know what to do. That's unnecessary. Yeah everyone can trap- it's really not that hard but the mental/ emotional component and troubleshooting can feel overwhelming at first and gets far far easier with experience. Dealing with health issues, testing etc also has a learning curve and having someone experienced who knows what to say to the owner if there is any bad news is vital.

I'm a member of several local facebook groups for my state- community cats, TNR, Feral rescue etc. Rescue orgs pay attention to those local sites and for cases like this I find there's a lot of help out there. You might even find people that are willing to provide help by going with you to talk to the owner or by providing literature that helps you know what to say.

So this weekend maybe join some of those groups. I am not a huge fan of facebook and really only use it for cat rescue and my local city groups but those are indispensable resources.

If you are someone who runs more to the anxious side normally- as a lot of us animal-oriented people do- you might find that getting some extra hands and expertise could totally change your experience with this. Afterall, what you want to accomplish here is very worthy of your time and worth the time of others who are involved in your locality and it could be overwhelmingly helpful to this person who is trying to care for so many cats.
Thank you for your reply. I greatly appreciate any help I can get.

I've been in contact with a TNR organization for my county, but they are, unfortunately, busy until May. The lady I've been talking to there has been helpful and has made all the arrangements to allow me to do this other than lending me traps. The one trap was really just to get me started. It's pretty easy to ask my dad if I can borrow his trap and, knowing that I have at least one, I know I can go through with this. It could take longer to get a trap from another organization, especially since I'm going to my dad's tomorrow. I do still plan on contacting others to get at least one more trap.

Part of the problem, however, is that I live right outside of the nearest big city. Most of the resources and organizations are in that city, but at the same time most of them focus within that area alone. Which means I'm right outside of the area they work in.

That being said, I did get a list from Alley Cat Allies awhile ago and, if no one from the county's TNR organization can help me get started, I will be contacting people from that list to see if they can at least help me get started and teach me how to do it. And I can look around some more as well, but I'm not sure how many resources I'll find. I think TNR is still a new thing in my county, honestly.

I'm certainly an anxious person and I would certainly love to have more people help if I can. However, my main goal isn't necessarily to get all of the cats neutered. It's to get as many as I can done. If I don't finish, the TNR organization can step in and help, but I want to prevent as many kittens from being born as possible.

All excellent advice. I hope the support here helps. :grouphug::rock:
It's all very helpful. Even knowing there are people here to help and support me in this task is wonderful. I've wanted to help ferals for a while now, but haven't been in the situation to be able to.

If the cats are semi-tame, trapping may not be necessary. She may be able to handle them, pop them right into a carrier. That would be a pleasant surprise!
Haha. I've actually thought about that. Some of them certainly seem tame enough to be able to handle them, but there's at least a couple that aren't so calm. I'm not getting my hopes up.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of these cats (or even a lot of them) might already be fixed. You won't know the details of the situation until you talk to the person who lives there.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of these cats (or even a lot of them) might already be fixed. You won't know the details of the situation until you talk to the person who lives there.
Yes, I agree. I've even thought perhaps someone had already fixed them or at least most of them. My first thought was that they were all done, but seeing a kitten made me realize that might not be the case.