FIP??????

PhyllisK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, my name is Phyllis. I have been a registered nurse for over 30 years. A blessing and a curse at times.
My sweet wonderful kitten Symon is almost 6 months old. Has over the last week or so bad marked decreased appetite, decreased energy, sleeping more, softer stools. As of today, diarrhea. But most of all has significant abdominal distention.
He plays a little in the morning, but tires quickly.
I have talked to my vet. I can take him in on 12/9/20. Financial reasons.
He is a rescue kitten. Was wormed in late October and has not been out of this apartment. No contact.
Any and all comments, experiences appreciated.

Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Was he treated with a broad spectrum wormer? If not, he might not have been given the proper wormer. If you could afford the cost of a full fecal PCR panel, you could take some stool into the vet and have it checked. Most vets will accept stool this way, and it could be done prior to the appointment. It will check for a number of possible parasites, as well as various bacterial/viral issues. A list of items tested can be found in the link below.

You would have to call the vet to confirm they will accept a stool sample, and also ask if the stool sample can contain litter - that is, unless you can collect some without it coming directly from the litter box. With your background, I would suspect you could collect samples on swabs yourself...

Maybe the vet would allow you to pay for part of the testing now, and the remainder at the time of the appointment?

Feline diarrhea PCR panel (zoologix.com)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its very possible there is still a parasite in there. It's also possible it's FIP, but let's not go there just yet. If it turns out that it is, there are new medicines in trial right now that are very promising, albeit quite expensive. So hope is not lost like it used to be. But, still, let's not go there until there is no other road to take. :crossfingers:

:vibes::vibes::vibes:that these are some pesky worms hanging on for dear life.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could be worms but it could also be something else. If they want to rule out FIP don’t let them do it on the basis of the FCOV/“FIP test” (it’s not an FIP test but some vets will call it that) alone, it’s not a useful test. If he has distention from fluid build up they may want to draw some of it out to look at it.