FIP

scotts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi -

I have one 3 year old Calico, one 1 year old Bengal and I just got another Bengal a few weeks ago who is around 4 months old. I had him to the vet three weeks ago for his shots and the usual tests. Today I took him back to be neutered and the vet tech told me the FIP test came back positive. I've heard of feline leukemia but I haven't heard of this disease until today. Since the vet wasn't in the office yet, I'm waiting to speak with him when I pick Otis up later today.

I've spent most of the day on the Internet reading the different things about FIP and I am finding information that seems contradictory. From what I gather, the FIP tests given to cats are usually not that accurate. Some info says that cats can live several years with FIP while some sites say they can live anywhere from 2 to 11 months after being diagnosed.

Obviously I'm concerned about my cat's health and well being and was wondering if anyone has any information they can share, of if you have had a similar experience.

Thanks --

Scott

mdsiamese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The FIP test that was run was probably the titre. The titre test indicates exposure to FECV, NOT FIPV. It is totally inaccurate to claim that a cat tested positive for FIP, but unfortunately some vets and vet techs still do it.

FECV is Feline Enteric Corona Virus. If your kitty came from a breeder or a multi-cat household, most assuredly your kitty was exposed to FECV. It is ubiquitous in a multi-cat environment. In 5% of cats, FECV mutates into FIPV. But there is no test for FIPV, or at least not one you want to do on any living cat. If your kitty is eating normally, gaining weight appropriately, not showing any other symptoms, then don't worry about a positive FECV titre. It just means he was exposed to FECV, nothing more nothing less.

Your 3 year old Calico is probably not in any danger, however your 1 year old Bengal *may* be exposed to FECV from your new kitten. If you've already let them share a litter box, it's too late to do anything. But your 1 year old Bengal was probably exposed LOOOOOOONNNG ago when he was in his original cattery anyhow so don't knock yourself out worrying about it.

What you can do is keep reading, keep your cats healthy and happy, prevent stress to their immune systems to the greatest extent possible, and just love them. If they ever show more clinical signs, then you find a vet that knows the titre is practically meaningless and knows to do other tests and consider all the signs before diagnosing FIP. Don't waste your money on any more tests unless a cat is showing clinical signs, and don't bother with the vaccine. The vaccine can only be effective if the cat has never been exposed to FECV, and your cats all already have been exposed.

There is a special FIP mailing list at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FIP
and there are a ton of documents and links there. It's worth joining the list just to read the info there.

If you have *any* other questions about FIP, just ask.

Mary

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the forums Scott!

Mary has provided some great info there. She's absolutely right.

You may want to read some more in this article, if you haven't already done so.

As for the contradictory info you've found - like Mary said, being exposed to the FECV virus means very little and even if your cat was tested positive - he can still have many wonderful years ahead of him. However, if clinical signs of FIP actually show up, then the prognosis is pretty grim. These cats die within weeks...
Like Mary said, there is no accurate test for diagnosing this active form of the virus and sometimes only a post mortem can verify the diagnosis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scotts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Mary and Anne for the information. Your put my mind at ease

Scott

ross

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, there
I am having hard time with FIP as I lost one of my cats
( Persian ) 19 months old to FIP 20 days ago, and my other cat ( Siamese ) 21 months old has it as well. I am so scared for him and take him for check ups every week. He has not shown symptoms yet, and the hardest thing is that I know FIP is fatal.
I' ve been reading about it a lot and nobody has much information, knows much about it and there is no help for it. Please let me know if I can help and if you find something positive out and help for it.

Originally posted by scotts
Hi -

I have one 3 year old Calico, one 1 year old Bengal and I just got another Bengal a few weeks ago who is around 4 months old. I had him to the vet three weeks ago for his shots and the usual tests. Today I took him back to be neutered and the vet tech told me the FIP test came back positive. I've heard of feline leukemia but I haven't heard of this disease until today. Since the vet wasn't in the office yet, I'm waiting to speak with him when I pick Otis up later today.

I've spent most of the day on the Internet reading the different things about FIP and I am finding information that seems contradictory. From what I gather, the FIP tests given to cats are usually not that accurate. Some info says that cats can live several years with FIP while some sites say they can live anywhere from 2 to 11 months after being diagnosed.

Obviously I'm concerned about my cat's health and well being and was wondering if anyone has any information they can share, of if you have had a similar experience.

Thanks --

Scott

frogsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Scotts,

My boyfriend and I are currently going through the same thing with our cat, Quinn, except Quinn was showing symptoms and that is why we took him to the vet.

We haven't gotten back the results of the titer yet. However, we are treating him symptomatically, with antibiotics and immunoboosters, and he seems to be getting a little better.

What you read is true.. the test is very inconclusive. Even if the test comes back positive for Quinn, we are going to continue to treat him symptomatically, because he seems to be feeling okay.. not great, just better.

Talking to Rene has given me a lot of hope, as has the literature I have found. My vet seemed clueless, so we took Quinn for a second opinion. You may want to do the same. Also, you can try talking to Rene.. she is on these forums, and is very educated on this topic. She gave me a lot of information and a lot of hope that I had lost the night that we heard that Quinn may have this.

Good luck,
Jessica

rene

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please go to my web site and read my newspaper column on FIP (click on link below)

http://www.listnow.com/helpingpaws/a...rticle_89.html

(www.listnow.com/helpingpaws) Go to newspaper columns and it is the latest one that was published. Mary is 100% right - most cats from catteries or pounds or shelters will titer positive for Corona Virus (it is not a test and wrong for your vet to call it that as it is misleading to people). There are 40 different coronas and only one will mutate to FIP. Most cats will not succumb to FIP. I have 22 cats and I just lost one of my Sphynx kittens to FIP - she was a failure to thrive and had a very compromised immune system since birth. My other cats had all been exposed previously to the Corona virus either from the catteries they came from or the shelters, including (probably) mine. But my cats are healthy and happy. I suggest you stop worrying and just enjoy your cats. They have all been exposed together so it doesn't matter. I am curious why your vet would automatically titer for FIP on a healthy cat? Seeing as it is so innacurate I don't know why they would do that.

[Edited by donna on 03-23-2001 at 03:45 PM]