Fip In Older Cats

Carol28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can an 8 year old cat, living for all those years in an indoor, 2 cat only household, develop corona-virus symptoms from an infection caught as a kitten --- 8 full years before? Can this virus be dormant inside a cat for 8+ years before suddenly showing up? Our boy came down with a terrible upper respiratory infection one year ago. Exactly one year later, he contracted full blown, wet fip and we lost him within days. It was completely out of the blue as he was never sick a day in his life. I'm so confused and broken hearted. Can anyone help me understand where this could have come from?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible. We had an 8-year-old cat at the shelter last year that had tested "highly positive" for Corona virus before we got her (we didn't have the actual test results, just that info from the rescue that had pulled her from a foreign kill shelter). About three months after intake she developed wet FIP and was put down. She went downhill incredibly fast. :bawling2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carol28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry. It happens so fast, mere days from being totally normal to so sick. I understand that there are 2 very good treatments/cures for full blown fip, but they are in commercial development and out of our reach for now. I hate this horrible, horrible disease and everything about it.
The part that strikes me as strange is that this kitty had no contact with other cats - for years. Our first cat was 4 years old when we brought the second home. Then suddenly, the second got sick, first with a terrible respiratory thing, then a year later, with wet fip.
Frankly, I'm very worried that he could have picked it up at the vet. I know there's nothing I can do about that, but I don't have to take my other critters there. It's a highly respected vet office, never stinky, etc., and they know us well. We've been going there for a long time. I just don't want to go back if it's possible Kodi contracted the virus while getting a regular check up. I feel like that's something they would know, but never be able to tell me. I thank you so much for your feedback. Take good care:)

Carol28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That reply of mine needs to be clearer. The second cat, Kodi, had been in our home, away from other kitties for 8+ years, and then he got sick. He had been very healthy.
Also should mention that they tested the abdominal fluid DNA, and it was positive for feline infectious peritonitis.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost your kitty. I could be completely misunderstanding it, but I thought that most cats are exposed to corona viruses, but that in some cats, the virus mutates to FIP.

Carol28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your support. I guess most cats either recover or are not too sick from the initial virus. Later the virus can mutate into fip - rarely - in some cats.
What's puzzling me is that it took many years to run the course. I usually read that kittens are exposed to one of these corona virus bugs while around other cats or kittens, and within a few days or so, they may show the symptoms of sneezing, diarrhea, etc. Then, IF they get the mutation of the virus, it usually shows up within a few weeks or months. Our cat hadn't been around new cats for years and years, hadn't been sick but one time, and wasn't under any apparent stress I can think of. It was so out of the clear, blue. I hope to find out what happened. I feel like I just need to know if it was something he had all along, or if he was able to catch it through casual contact, i.e., from clothing or handling. We can be more careful if so. Thank you, again. Take care:)

ziggy1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Quizzy, was diagnosed 2 days ago. She's about 12. She lost weight and I was concerned, so off to the vet we go. She had an incredibly high titer for Corona virus-1:18000. She does not seem sick, she eats like a horse and is her usual self. She lives in a household with 3 other furry friends. Right now, she's on steroids, an antibiotic and probiotics. I am hoping that she has been misdiagnosed...We'll ride it out and hope for the best