FIP? Help :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How about treating/testing for giardia? It is caused by a parasite and has those same symptoms. It wouldn't hurt! As long as he is interested in life, not hiding and not eating, he still wants to live. If he comes to you and eats, love him aslong as you can, I'm so sorry.......
Thanks - I will mention this to vet when he phones today.

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad you went to a new vet. My boy Figaro passed away did to dry FIP in February. I felt at the time the vet wasn't giving his all to my sweet baby. I do think some vets might just be better with dogs. Neko-chan goes to a cat only vet and gets great care there. However, it's up to you, not the vet when to assist your cat over the bridge. It's never easy to make the decision. I might have waited a bit too long, but it's hard to not try everything. My opinion is if your cat is interested in food, playing and being with her humans, then the quality of life is still there. I hope the new vet can help. Every time I hear about FIP I cry.
I’m so sorry for your loss I hope you’re ok. It’s absolutely devastating. I’d never even heard about it before the other day. Sad to see how many kittys have lost their lives to it :(

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss I hope you’re ok. It’s absolutely devastating. I’d never even heard about it before the other day. Sad to see how many kittys have lost their lives to it :(
I'm not religious, but I still pray regularly that they find a cure for this horrible disease. I also believe in reincarnation and hope that Figaro has been reborn into a loving home with gentle people who give him the occasional lick of peanut butter. He really loved peanut butter.

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off I have no experience with FIP. I do have a cat with a sensitive stomach, possible IBS/IBD. He would eat a certain food for months then all of a sudden diarrhea. Sometimes he refuses to eat more than just a spoonful of a different/new food at meal times until his stomach settles. This is usually within 2-3 days once on metronidazole. He was a smaller male cat until we got him on a probotic (Purina Fortiflora) & grain free can food. He finally filled out at 6 yo as he was a skinny boy. Improvement in energy & mood, even his furry. He's no longer on the grain free food, but is doing well.

He also had coccidia as a kitten (5-6 months old) when we adopted him. He had lots of energy & very playful, but terrible diarrhea & gas.

The symptoms you're describing seem similar to issues my guy has had. Please don't give up on him too soon. A food change can take between 4-6 weeks to see firm stool every time.

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of your replies. Chase was put to sleep yesterday at 12.40. I’m devastated. 💔

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. Praying the wonderful moments you had with him will bring you comfort.

Landon&Lucasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has your cat been tested for Tritrichomonas Foetus? It is a protozoan that causes chronic smelly diarrhea that can be accompanied by blood and mucus. Cats will continue to eat, play and act normal except for diarrhea. The infection will not show up on a regular fecal float or smear, you need to ask for a PCR Panel to diagnosis it. The treatment is 14 days of Ronidazole. Both my cats had Tritrichomonas Foetus and have been treated. It took months to figure out what it was, our vet never offered a PCR Panel, we had to request it nor did they ever discuss possibility of Tritrichomonas Foetus until we asked about it.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your cat :( . Anyway, 2 things come to mind: first thing is, allergies. My oldest son was allergic to milk and soy. We didn’t realize that and he was a very sickly little guy until we put him on goats milk. Diarrhea, bloated belly, weight loss etc. the turn around with him was amazing! I know you have a cat but I believe that the same applies. Second thing: raw food diet. This has all the nutritional needs your cat needs. I’m not a vet however we lost 2 -16 year old cats to kidney failure and I’m sure it was diet related. My kittens are on raw food diets and they are very healthy. One of them was a rescue who was really thin and frail and his change was amazing! Stella and chewy and Primal raw are the best, I feel. Also, chicken is the worst for producing allergies! My kitten suddenly stopped eating instinct kitten canned and we switched to primal pork because she threw up the chicken and the beef, wouldn’t touch the rabbit. She’s thriving now. Sorry this is so long, but I’ve experienced a lot of issues with diet and failure to thrive including kids, dogs and cats with an allergy. Don’t listen to that vet who tell you chicken and rice should help the stomach. I find that insulting...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for all of your replies. Chase was put to sleep yesterday at 12.40. I’m devastated. 💔
I am so sorry. :alright: RIP little Chase. :angel3:

If and when you are ready, please consider sharing more about Chase, and paying tribute to him in the Crossing the Bridge section of this site. It's where we all can go to memorialize a loved one who has left us behind.