FIP? Help :(

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Sorry if this doesn’t all make sense I’m in a panic and so upset.

My 1 year old cat has had diarrhoea for the past month. Majority of the time it’s had blood in it. I’ve been to the vets every single week, they took bloods, samples and gave antibiotics but it didn’t stop it. He’s seemed well in himself.
Today we went back for a follow up and the vet said he tested positive for coronavirus so he suspects FIP. He’s been admitted for the weekend to have more bloods and a scan to determine if he definitely has it but there is no actual test for it.
He’s said if he does have it I’d have to put him down. He has no temperature which he said is a good thing.. The only symptom he has is diarrhoea and this has caused him to lose 200g in the last week.

Does anybody have any experience with this?
I feel so so guilty as my 6 year old was with me and she’s absolutely heart broken ;( I haven’t stopped crying the thought of putting him down at 1 year old is making me feel sick. I miss him so much already

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FIP is NEVER diagnosed based on just diarrhea. Nope! Either there are other abnormalities in the blood test you don't know about, or the vet is being way too generous with the FIP diagnosis here.

A lot, in some places most cats are tested positive for coronavirus. Only in a small minority of them it mutates into FIP.

Antibiotics themselves might cause diarrhea. Having diarrhea for more than a few days might cause bleeding. A food intolerance might cause diarrhea. What did the ultrasound show? Is he on probiotics right now? What is he eating?

I would strongly recommend getting a second, maybe third opinion about a dry FIP diagnosis anyway as there is no reliable test for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FIP is NEVER diagnosed based on just diarrhea. Nope! Either there are other abnormalities in the blood test you don't know about, or the vet is being way too generous with the FIP diagnosis here.

A lot, in some places most cats are tested positive for coronavirus. Only in a small minority of them it mutates into FIP.

Antibiotics themselves might cause diarrhea. Having diarrhea for more than a few days might cause bleeding. A food intolerance might cause diarrhea. What did the ultrasound show? Is he on probiotics right now? What is he eating?

I would strongly recommend getting a second, maybe third opinion about a dry FIP diagnosis anyway as there is no reliable test for it.
Thank you for replying. They said they are testing for protein levels in his blood or something and they’ll try and do the scan today. The vet didn’t make much sense to be honest he rushed us through.
From what I understand, he’s saying if his protein levels below a certain amount then it’s a strong sign of FIP.
It just doesn’t seem right to me, he doesn’t seem seriously I’ll to me, just his diarrhoea.

He eats both wet and dry foods, he’s had the same food since he was young with no problems, he is on probiotics also.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying. They said they are testing for protein levels in his blood or something and they’ll try and do the scan today. The vet didn’t make much sense to be honest he rushed us through.
From what I understand, he’s saying if his protein levels below a certain amount then it’s a strong sign of FIP.
It just doesn’t seem right to me, he doesn’t seem seriously I’ll to me, just his diarrhoea.

He eats both wet and dry foods, he’s had the same food since he was young with no problems, he is on probiotics also.
That also doesn't necessarily mean he has FIP. An albumin to globulin ratio is one of the things they use to diagnose FIP. My own cat's that indicated FIP too, and she had high bilirubin... like several things to hint FIP but turned out she had a rare thing, not FIP.

Cats might develop food intolerances later, just like humans. I would certainly try a bland diet if I were you. And maybe his probiotics isn't a very good one. Could you tell us which exactly wet and dry foods, and probiotics he's on?

Did they check well for a foreign object?

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s on whiskas pouches and biscuits and I give him purina FortiFlora probiotics.

Thank you for the information, without it I wouldn’t of had any idea what to say to the vets. I did try chicken and rice and it didn’t seem to help BUT he was on antibiotics by this point so maybe, the antibiotics could of caused it to continue.

I’m hoping for a phone call by 5 with results of the scan and bloods

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He’s on whiskas pouches and biscuits and I give him purina FortiFlora probiotics.

Thank you for the information, without it I wouldn’t of had any idea what to say to the vets. I did try chicken and rice and it didn’t seem to help BUT he was on antibiotics by this point so maybe, the antibiotics could of caused it to continue.

I’m hoping for a phone call by 5 with results of the scan and bloods
I strongly recommend switching to a grain-free, high premium food. If that doesn't work, he might need to switch to a prescription food. Whiskas has too many different ingredients and longer the ingredients list is, more likely for that food to have one or more things your cat developed intolerance to.

He has had diarrhea for a month so I wouldn't be surprised if his blood test was off but without even a food change tried, the abnormalities in the blood test result---depending on what is abnormal---might only be because he has had diarrhea for weeks and not over what is causing diarrhea.

If there is no infection and he has diarrhea that can't be explained, food change is the first route to go. And at the same time or later, depending on the test results, they should check for a potential foreign object in the digestive tract. With that said if I'm not mistaken usually there is fever if there is a foreign object so probably this is not very likely but just to say there are definitely other tests to do before diagnosing with dry FIP and certainly things to try before putting anyone to sleep.

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’ve just had a call.
His protein levels at 0.3, the vet said in FIP it’s always under 0.4 so it’s a big indicator of it. They haven’t performed the scan yet. They have said they are giving steroids and antibiotics but if he doesn’t respond in a few days they’d advise putting him to sleep.
I did ask about diet but he brushed me off saying that if chicken and rice didn’t settle his stomach then it won’t be that (which I don’t fully believe by the way)
The vets brought up his record, When I first got him, he was half the size of the rest of his litter, severely underweight and dehydrated. Another trip to the vet was for a bout of vomiting. Also he sometimes wheezes and coughs which they didn’t want to investigate. The vet said and I quote “he is not the best specimen” which really upset me. I feel so lost and out of my depth speaking to the vet he’s very patronising. My heart feels so broken

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its been 6 years this month since I lost my 18 month old Gordon to FIP. Very difficult to diagnose, and unfortunately no cure. My vet tried everything but he not only lost a lot of weight quickly, he went from being a very playful kitten to barely moving in a short time. I probably waited too long to say goodbye, but I needed to be sure. When there was obviously no quality of life, he did not want to be held or petted, and was not eating at all, I knew it was past time. It was a difficult week as my Dad died that same week, which may have accounted for my hesitance to do anything. Gordon was at the animal hospital for 6 days being kept alive on IV and meds while I buried my dad and tried to figure out what the right thing to do was.
No one can tell you when the right time is, but your vet can help guide you. Corona virus alone does not mean FIP, most shelter cats have it. My other 2 cats at the time were tested and they also had the virus - they are still healthy 6 years later.
Don't hesitate to see another vet if this one is too patronizing - you need to feel comfortable talking with the person who is helping you care for your cat and decide his fate.
I wish I knew what to tell you, or how to console you, but having been in your shoes, all I can do is wish you well.

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I would also refer you to the above post on this site - written by a member in 2011, has had many views, and it helped me when I lost Gordon. Noting takes away the immense pain when you lose a cat, but listening to the rationale of someone else that understands is often helpful. After all, that is why most of us come to this forum, not only for advice, but to know that we are not alone.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you need a second opinion. Also, here is a document that talks about the most common symptoms and how they are rated in terms of best pointing toward FIP. It also talks about testing, but in the case of dry FIP (where fluid is not accumulating in the belly), the testing is much harder to do as it requires a biopsy of sorts.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His protein levels at 0.3, the vet said in FIP it’s always under 0.4 so it’s a big indicator of it. They haven’t performed the scan yet. They have said they are giving steroids and antibiotics but if he doesn’t respond in a few days they’d advise putting him to sleep.
I did ask about diet but he brushed me off saying that if chicken and rice didn’t settle his stomach then it won’t be that (which I don’t fully believe by the way)
The vets brought up his record, When I first got him, he was half the size of the rest of his litter, severely underweight and dehydrated. Another trip to the vet was for a bout of vomiting. Also he sometimes wheezes and coughs which they didn’t want to investigate. The vet said and I quote “he is not the best specimen” which really upset me. I feel so lost and out of my depth speaking to the vet he’s very patronising. My heart feels so broken
I suggest taking him to another vet as this one doesn't sound like a good vet at all. The fact that he believes "if chicken and rice didn't settle his stomach then it won't be that" alone is a pretty good sign he is way behind medical info as a lot of cats are intolerant to chicken. In fact, statistically chicken is something like the number one intolerance. (It might very well be because most foods contain chicken, but still...)

As you know there is no reliable test for dry FIP and dry version is harder to diagnose than wet. When the cat doesn't have severe clinical symptoms like high fever, high bilirubin, etc to insist on FIP and even bring up euthanasia makes no sense to me. As I said, my own cat had couple of things in her blood test result that are "seen more with FIP" but it turned out she had a rare thing, not FIP.

It is also ridiculous they didn't even perform a scan nor tried a hypoallergenic food or SOMETHING.

Seriously, I would very much recommend going to a different, better vet. Try to search for "another vet said FIP but this one found out it wasn't" clinic reviews in your area.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
who in there right mind would say that!! Please don't make any life decisions for your boy until you get another opinion from a vet that you trust. If that means you have to go to 3,4 5 or more then please do. I am certain you will agree your boy deserves the best

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The coronavirus titer is a terrible diagnostic for FIP on its own. Somewhere between 50-80% of all cats are coronavirus carriers and thus will test positive. Only a small number of them will develop FIP. The coronavirus titer can’t detect the mutated version of the virus that actually causes FIP. Do you have bloodwork that shows A/G ratio?

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Chase had his scan. His lymph nodes are very enlarged, he’s lost 300g in the past week. They advised me again to put him to sleep but I refused.
I collected him last night, he’s on antibiotics and steroids at the moment. He’s still eagerly eating but within a minute of finishing he’s straight into the litter tray.
He’s very lethargic today, no interest in anything at all, very jumpy at the slightest movement. His back legs are very slow but I’m not sure if he hurt himself jumping off the table or if he’s just feeling weak.
We are seeing a different vet in an hour.

To be honest, I think the vets may be right.
I feel very guilty that he may be in pain, but I don’t feel it’s time but.. will I ever? :(

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, Chase had his scan. His lymph nodes are very enlarged, he’s lost 300g in the past week. They advised me again to put him to sleep but I refused.
I collected him last night, he’s on antibiotics and steroids at the moment. He’s still eagerly eating but within a minute of finishing he’s straight into the litter tray.
He’s very lethargic today, no interest in anything at all, very jumpy at the slightest movement. His back legs are very slow but I’m not sure if he hurt himself jumping off the table or if he’s just feeling weak.
We are seeing a different vet in an hour.

To be honest, I think the vets may be right.
I feel very guilty that he may be in pain, but I don’t feel it’s time but.. will I ever? :(
Did they do a bloodwork panel and CBC?

Conniew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did they do a bloodwork panel and CBC?
I’m really not entirely sure what the first vet done - all I was told was his A:G ratio was very low. the new vet last night redone all the bloods and he will rescan him for me today.
He’s picked up loads overnight.. his poo is a lot more solid and no as often, seems to be keeping more food in him. He’s not the most affectionate cat but he’s been hanging around me purring and wanting to play all the time. Looks bright and happy. But obviously I am still preparing for the worst.

I pray this vet was wrong!

I’ve been told a lot about this GS treatment people have been using but unfortunately I just cannot afford it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about treating/testing for giardia? It is caused by a parasite and has those same symptoms. It wouldn't hurt! As long as he is interested in life, not hiding and not eating, he still wants to live. If he comes to you and eats, love him aslong as you can, I'm so sorry.......

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad you went to a new vet. My boy Figaro passed away did to dry FIP in February. I felt at the time the vet wasn't giving his all to my sweet baby. I do think some vets might just be better with dogs. Neko-chan goes to a cat only vet and gets great care there. However, it's up to you, not the vet when to assist your cat over the bridge. It's never easy to make the decision. I might have waited a bit too long, but it's hard to not try everything. My opinion is if your cat is interested in food, playing and being with her humans, then the quality of life is still there. I hope the new vet can help. Every time I hear about FIP I cry.