FIP - Coronavirus - Contagion (when to get new cat)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If someone ( not me, fortunately) just had a cat die of FIP, and has 2 other cats that are seemingly OK, is it wise to get another kitten a week or 2 after their cat died?
I know FIP itself is not contagious. but isn't it a mutation of coronavirus that IS contagious? These folks have found a kitten and want to pick her up this weekend. She's 5 or 6 months old and has had all her kitten shots. but doesn't a kitten have less immunity anyway?
It just seems to me this may be risky. If they absolutely are determined to get a kitten right now I hope they would totally clean the house with bleach, buy a new litterbox, new everything for the kitten, and then keep her isolated from the other 2 cats for longer than the usual period.
i just wondered what some people here think.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the corona virus that is contagious.

That virus then has to mutate in the cats body in order to trigger FIP.

Most cats will be/have been exposed to the corona virus and will test positive for exposure on a titer. The percentage that will ever develope FIP is very very low when compared to the number of cats exposed.

Some cats are chronic shedders of the virus, but will never go on to develope FIP themselves, they just keep putting the virus into the environment.

If this kitten has not already been exposed to the corona virus, then more than likely it will be exposed at this persons home. More than likely it will become ill after acquiring the virus and the typical symptoms will show up. URI and some stomach upset. The odds are in favor that it will not mutate to FIP, but this kitten, just like 90% of the cats in the world will always test positive for corona virus exposure.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. If no one adopted a kitten into a household because the resident cats were exposed to the corona virus, the shelters wouldn't adopt out many cats. I lost an 18 month old to FIP one time and that cat was exposed to 7 other resident cats, who in turn were exposed to all of my existing cats. FIP hasn't appeared in my house since that time and I've probably had over 30 cats live with me since then. The theory is that a cat needs to be predisposed to FIP in the first place for the corona virus to morph into FIP. No bleach or cleaning in the world will take the corona virus away from a cat exposed to it.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. What will happen would happen in most multi-cat households.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all I guess I was just being paranoid. I was talking to an acquaintance who has been finding homes for some kittens and doesn't have prior experience at rescue. I will pass on to her what you said.