Fiona is ill/fluid in her lungs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlynnrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm Rhonda I am new here I have a female tabby cat named Fiona I have had her about 11 yrs maybe longer just recently she started breathing heavy & loosing weight she refused to eat her solid cat food , she breaths thru her mouth at night and does a lot of sleeping mainly on my lap I cant afford to take her to the vet right now is there anything I can do to keep her comfortable

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi I'm Rhonda I am new here I have a female tabby cat named Fiona I have had her about 11 yrs maybe longer just recently she started breathing heavy & loosing weight she refused to eat her solid cat food , she breaths thru her mouth at night and does a lot of sleeping mainly on my lap I cant afford to take her to the vet right now is there anything I can do to keep her comfortable
This doesn't sound good. I am worried that she doesn't want to eat she might have an upper respiratory infection, also known as a kitty cold, could be allergies. We really cannot tell. Is there any way you could borrow the money or call a Vet and see if they might work with you? There's not much you really can do for her otherwise. You might see if she'll have some canned tuna fish, the kind that's meant for humans, just to see if she'll eat for today. Do try to keep her warm.

She must be awfully congested, in order to breathe through her mouth, cats don't normally do that. Do you have a warm shower, that you can steam up a bathroom and sit with her in it to see if she might be able to breathe a little easier? I do think she does need medical attention though, for sure.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Open mouth breathing can also be a sign of heart disease. You really need to find a way to get your cat to a vet asap.[article="32915"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rlynnrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update - I took my cat to the vet monday because she got worse her gums were purple the nurse put her on oxegen and took exray's and blood work she didn't have cancer or heart deases her blood work can back fine she is on a antibiotic and is home . she is eating and drinking does anyone know what could have caused this so it doesn't happen again ?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you got to a vet and she's feeling better for now.

Honestly, so many things can trigger respiratory distress that it's impossible to pinpoint one for you. Really, this is a question for your vet. They'll have far more experience and knowledge than us non vets here...not to mention actually having your girl in front of them.

I hope your vet can give you some answers, and that your girl is fully recovered soon :vibes:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you got to a vet and she's feeling better for now.

Honestly, so many things can trigger respiratory distress that it's impossible to pinpoint one for you. Really, this is a question for your vet. They'll have far more experience and knowledge than us non vets here...not to mention actually having your girl in front of them.

I hope your vet can give you some answers, and that your girl is fully recovered soon
Well, I think that for some reason she's not getting enough oxygen, only things I can think of right now is either asthma or pneumonia. Did the Vet say anything at all about her?

Last edited by a moderator:

rlynnrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a update on my cat fiona last time i was in here she is now on 2 medications one for her fluid in her lungs witch is called Lasix she was on two 1/2 pills 2 times a day  now that is down to  1/2 pill for the fluid and now she is on Remeron 1 half pill for her appitite she still isn't eating much small amounts here and there she lost a lot of weight she is 7 lbs she goes to the vet every week for check ups if she doesn't eat the vet says it could be cancer i am leaving this up to god her breathing is the same but with out fluid found out she is 12 yrs old not 11 . just wanted to up date you all on Fiona's health

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mega :vibes: for you and your girl. I'm so sorry the outlook isn't good. Really hope the Lasix is helping her breathing - I know it helped my boy a lot. I have no experience with Remeron.

You're both in my thoughts :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

rlynnrob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm not sure if i have been here sense last yr most of you know Fiona my kitty had been very sick she had fluid in her lungs and was loosing a lot of weight Well last yr She passed away 1 week before Christmas .

It has been 1 month a 1 week this Saturday sense she has been gone i miss her everyday and continue to miss her I have good news though i have a wonderful new addition to my family her name is Paris she just about 2 yrs old next fall she is so much like my fiona i fell in love with her the 1st day i saw her pictures to come soon

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: I'm so, so sorry about Fiona. She was truly special. You gave her wonderful care right to the end, and she she knew for sure that she was loved.

:rbheart: Rest in peace, Fiona, you gorgeous girl :rbheart:
:angel: [emoji]128062[/emoji] :rbheart: [emoji]128062[/emoji] :angel:

Congratulations on your new addition. Paris sounds wonderful :heart3: You might want to start a separate thread to introduce her.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the TCS Team, we offer our condolences on your loss of Fiona.  We'll lock this thread now out of respect for your loss.  Please consider posting a tribute to your kitty in our Crossing the Bridge forum. 

And please do introduce Paris in our New Cats on the Block forum.  We look forward to seeing photos of her.  

Status
Not open for further replies.