Finding Kittens

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there such a thing as a kitten finding dog? Like one who will not hurt them, just find the kitten nests for you? I need one of them.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know, but I had a fox terrier mix I let out to go "potty" one Christmas Eve and when she came back in she brought a semi-feral back in with her. She had never had a relationship with a cat before, but they remained devoted to each other through out their lives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so sweet!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds as a gift from Above.

I don't know, but I had a fox terrier mix I let out to go "potty" one Christmas Eve and when she came back in she brought a semi-feral back in with her. She had never had a relationship with a cat before, but they remained devoted to each other through out their lives.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay, I dont think that is the common. It probably happens with individual, friendly dogs, as exemplfied here in the thread. There was the renown dog Ginny whoms big pleasure was to save kittens and cats in trouble. He was said to save over 800 cats. I suspect its exaggerated, because its impossible unless they did it semi-professionally. Not even to mention finding all the fostering and adoption homes. If you google the owners name was Gonzales, rescue dog Ginny.

Here? Try to phone around to hunters around. They perhaps know of some friendly dog whom whom may be talket into just finding and fetching. Perhaps a dog fetching shot water birds? These are known to fetch even fragile things - for example eggs, or still alive birds, not hurting them anymore. I mean, such hunters using dogs, they do know each other and the dogs, and the rumors. You dont need to find them all, its probably enough to findd a couple of friendly hunters, and they may help you further.

Otherwise, please describe more closely the situation, we perhaps will find some ideas...

Is there such a thing as a kitten finding dog? Like one who will not hurt them, just find the kitten nests for you? I need one of them.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a batch of kittens in an overgrown wooded area behind a dumpster. I saw one small tabby kitten run out and back in the fence and I have seen the mother with full nipples. So I think there is a batch of them back there. I have looked but I just don't have the time to keep searching, so I have to give up. I feel bad I cant rescue them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you start feeding them and try to trap them?

Food tends to help.

How old did the kitten look?

Can you ask a recue organization to help?

This is sad. :(

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you start feeding them and try to trap them?

Food tends to help.

How old did the kitten look?

Can you ask a recue organization to help?

This is sad. :(
I have tried getting help before with no luck. I think that kitten may have been four weeks and that was a week ago, so it would be five. I am feeding the cats at the dumpster and I sometimes see the one who might be the mom there. I did rescue three kittens at that dumpster from another batch. I will TNR the adult cats slowly as I am able working through a feral cat program.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can perhaps find some friendly youngster or better still, a young girl, whom wants to help, and will be happy with just several dollars? AND doing a good deed at the same time. Be shure she is used with cats. :)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can perhaps find some friendly youngster or better still, a young girl, whom wants to help, and will be happy with just several dollars? AND doing a good deed at the same time. Be shure she is used with cats. :)
It is too dangerous an area to send a child. The dumpster is behind a strip mall where drug dealers hang out. You have to lift up a very heavy fence behind a smelly trashy dumpster. There is trash and branches and a muddy slope where it is easy to fall and there could be snakes or rats back there. I got stickers all over my clothes and I was worried about poison ivy pushing through the brush. Some young guys who are adventurous would be ideal, but I don't know any.