Finding cat food and litter

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both my grocery store and pet store seem well stocked. I don't have to worry for about a month now, got half her food from chewy and the rest plus litter from pet smart

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There seems to be no problem in the immediate area, but friends in Toledo, Ohio (an hour away) say they can't find any cat food or litter box filler. Locally, Tractor Supply Co. is the least-impacted by this coronavirus thing.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Just yesterday in this area both Petco and Petsmart were very well stocked and limiting nothing. I did make purchases and did not compare price with Chewy as I figured this might be the best way to go.

Chewy did have a delay with a med for my dog which could have been very serious. Conflicting info on their site about whether or not it was available and they never did pick up the phone so I got an extra one for double the price from my vet. I did eventually get the Chewy order in good condition and I don't blame them for being in a bind.

Only problem in Petsmart was that a man wanted 200 crickets and got shirty when they said that they did not have that many and probably could not sell them all to him if they did.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Tidy Cat kitty litter was delivered yesterday. Not our regular delivery man. Himself (I wasn't home) said he did have gloves and mask. Was wearing the gloves but had the mask on his neck and not covering either his nose or his mouth.

We left the three boxes outside the front door for 24 hours. Unpacked and will leave the plastic buckets of litter outside for an additional 24 hours. I'm not sure that is necessary but if it makes Himself happy . . .

I made a run to a Wal-Mart superstore yesterday. They did have some FF classic pate including about 30 cans of the Tender Beef Feast, still at 64 cents / can. I thought about it, decided since I have all that Tiny Tiger arriving in a few days . . . And left it for someone else who may need it.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Chewy's order of Tiny Tiger was just delivered a few minutes ago, Saturday 28 March. It is sitting outside for at least 24 hours. I am curious as to how they managed to fit all the Tiny Tiger I ordered into this one carton. Guess I'll find out tomorrow late afternoon . . .

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my orders from Chewy were delayed, as expected, but they got here. one case of cat food trays had some leaking -- oh boy, that smelled horrible. :cringe: i removed the group of trays in that case, and those went to the trash can outside. then i called Chewy about that, which it took 45 minutes to get a person on the phone -- no fault of theirs, i'm sure their phone lines are incredibly busy these days. while i was on the phone waiting, i decided to order a bit more cat food. i figured next months autoship order will be delayed, so ordered that 'bit more' so we won't be running out of cat food before the order arrives. :thumbsup:

i ordered my usual spring bulk cat litter order, a few weeks early -- since it was available/in stock at walmart online. that arrived yesterday, and is now neatly stacked. it'll be late summer or early fall before we need to order more cat litter.

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to switch completely to pine or wood pellets because you get like 40lbs for $10. Chewy takes forever on my auto-ships, and orders in general, so sometimes I'll just feed regular food (which they like better anyway) while waiting.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well as far as litter I'm pretty safe, specter uses pine pellets - any pine pellets - as long as I mix them for one box change before switching completely. We have a walmart and tractor supply nearby selling rabbit/guinea pig/small animal pine and there's horse pine as well which spec is used to the both of.

Pretty sure I'm going to have to rely on homemade heavily pretty soon which makes me nervous because sometimes she's picky when she's hormonal. I've been ordering from anywhere verified by the Tiki cat company, no third party sellers. Which is proving more difficult each time but I refuse thrid party.

So far no issues getting premixes or the do it yourself tools and worse comes to worse in the meat department....We have chickens and ducks. Got the tools to hunt. Definitely don't wanna go down theat road but hey.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got an email from Chewy saying that, because shipments were taking longer, if I want my autoship on time, I should hit the "order now" button 5 days before the scheduled ship date. I didn't bother because I'm not relying on Chewy right now, so it doesn't matter when they send it.

They said it may take longer in transit too, but it was here in 2 days, as usual. So I guess UPS is managing well enough.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got an email from Chewy saying that, because shipments were taking longer, if I want my autoship on time, I should hit the "order now" button 5 days before the scheduled ship date. I didn't bother because I'm not relying on Chewy right now, so it doesn't matter when they send it.

They said it may take longer in transit too, but it was here in 2 days, as usual. So I guess UPS is managing well enough.
My Amazon orders are like that too. They tell you that the shipping may take longer as they prioritize orders but my orders have been packed, shipped and delivered like they always are. I guess the bird/squirrel food and the mouse pad I ordered are a priority. The birds and squirrels sure think so.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just cancelled mine. Love the comp love the workers, but I don't have the time or patience!
Yeah, I canceled my last two orders with Chewy. The last order I received was placed on March 24 and not delivered til April 10. My next order was placed on April 7, shipped April 15, and I got an email from them on Friday stating that it was damaged en route, so they were sending out a new order, and the damaged order was being returned to them. I called this morning to get tracking number, and the rep said that whomever created the replacement order failed to press the submit button, so the replacement order was never shipped. I give up, I need the items, so placed the orders with Amazon. I love Chewy, but it's time to get it together.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I get litter at Costco and they've been well stocked with it. I've been getting food at Petco with order online and pick up in store, and it's been fine so far. I'm staying a bit ahead without "hoarding" and hope it stays ok!

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ive been doing my shopping closer to home, as I dont trust public transport at the minute. There is a supermarket within walking distance, but it does not have Amber's favourite food (she wont eat any other wet food) so I have had to order a box on Amazon, as well as cat litter as I have five cats and cannot carry enough litter home with me. Also had to order Teddy's dry kitten food, as the supermarket has been sold out of the brand he has always eaten for two weeks. I bought a bag of a different kind, but he does not like it, so has been eating adult cat dry plus his usual kitten wet food for the past week, but will have kitten dry food again on Tuesday.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So..I'm getting worried now. Part of my cat's diet is a Rx food which is sold out on my vet's online store.

So I ordered from Chewy.com and put in my vet's details, but I am unsure if the Rx has been approved by my vet yet and the order status is "preparing for shipment" but I don't actually know what that means. Has anyone ordered Rx'es with chewy before? Its my first time doing so, I usually just get it direct from the vet. Anyone have experience with this?

I have food left but its getting to the stage where I would normally order more because I don't want to reach the point of "I'm about to run out". I'm contemplating alternate foods I could try for her, but I'm not sure what to try.

Edit: I look further on my account and it says the Rx is still "pending". I can upload authorization but the problem is I don't have an actual prescription for it from the vet, I usually just buy it from them and its on her file. Would a receipt from a prior recent purchase be sufficient for Chewy?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise