Finding a reputable dog breeder...

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I are looking into getting a dog, probably sometime this summer.
We will be visiting shelters to look at dogs but also want to investigate purebreds. My question is, how do you find a good breeder? The breed we're mainly interested in, for a variety of reasons, are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. I've looked on the web to find a breeder via the akc website and haven't had much luck finding a breeder that is near enough to us that we could drive out on a Saturday or Sunday to meet them.

Anybody have any good resources on finding breeders?

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on a new pup! I vote for the shelter route but if you are looking for a purebred, the key to finding a reputable breeder is what you shouldn't see rather than what you should.

Here is a good link that determines the difference between a BYB/UNethical breeder and a Reputable/Ethical/COE breeder.

http://www.cinemaboxers.com/bybvssb.htm

Ie, A good breeder doesn't:
---advertise in the newspaper
---put in their ad "both parents can be seen"
---sell for a profit
---sell to petstores

Its a rewarding long road to determining YOUR breeder, but when you find the right one and you get to take a pup home, you have earned a buddy and dog advisor for life! You MAY have to drive far from home to find the breed you are looking for.

dicknleah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another thing, once found, a reputable breeder will always have a waiting list so you may have to wait months or even years to get a pup.

Being in rescue myself I agree that you should start with that route. With rescue it could take months as well so I would start searching now. Petfinder.com has a huge database of adoptables. Good luck in your search.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find word of mouth is good.. Try the local shelter , yes some will not give you that info but others will have some info on local breeders.. I will tell you cavelier prices are varing up to 1000 dollars depending on area( just in my area with two I have heard good things about breeders one sells pup for 500-850 and the other starts at 1200/... Some good breeders starting out may advertise in papers on the web just like cat breeders...

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dicknleah

Another thing, once found, a reputable breeder will always have a waiting list so you may have to wait months or even years to get a pup.

Being in rescue myself I agree that you should start with that route. With rescue it could take months as well so I would start searching now. Petfinder.com has a huge database of adoptables. Good luck in your search.
Good point, Dicknleah...A good breeder doesn't have to advertise as they will have waiting lists.

Other links I found to peruse are:

http://www.ackcsc.org/

http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/reputablebreeder.html

And here is the addy of the National Rescue Chair for CKCS's
http://www.barkbytes.com/rescue/cavking.htm

While you are waiting for your puppy, you can fully research the breed, acquire equipment, acquaint yourself with trainers in your area (sit in on classes), etc..

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if you do decide to go with a breeder make sure that they health test all their dogs-- For Cavs it should be CERF, OFA Patellas/hips, Heart testing (again OFA), leggs-calve-perthes disease (bloodlines should be free of LCP disease) and there may be another one i cant recall at the moment.

Make sure they have a reasonable contract and a LIFETIME guarantee-- 2 year guarantee minimum as many genetic issues will not show up until about 2 years of age.

Good breeders dont have pups available all the time-- and like others said they dont breed for profit.

Good luck! Its a lot of work researching and reading but well worth the payoff when you get your new dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info, guys!
We've got lots of research to do! I'm still about 60% positive we'll get a shelter dog, but it seems worth it to research cavaliers since we're so fond of them. I've also found a Cav rescue group in my area, going to email them to get that ball rolling.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want one I do advice the rescue... I got Gigi by accident the humane society should have turned her over to yorkie rescue I am so glad they didnt