finding a new vet in an underserved region

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We recently moved to southern Delaware. The area is seeing explosive population growth. The two animal hospitals I contacted are not accepting new patients. So thought I'd solicit comments and suggestions before resuming the search. I suppose we'll accept having to travel up to an hour, maybe more, to obtain care. Hopefully we won't have to settle for just anybody, regardless of the quality. I asked three dog walkers this morning, and the only helpful suggestion was to consider a mobile vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might check with folks on Next Door Neighbor to see if they can recommend who they use for their pet care - assuming you have this site in your area. You could also talk to local rescue groups to see who they use.
Yes I will check out next door. Not too many subscribers in my area but still worth considering. In additions to shelters etc I may ask the vet that visits the local pet store for suggestions.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes I will check out next door. Not too many subscribers in my area but still worth considering. In additions to shelters etc I may ask the vet that visits the local pet store for suggestions.
I would, as well as the hospitals that aren't accepting new patients. See if they recommend anyone else in the area.
It also might be a good idea if you would ask one of the hospitals you talked to if they're taking a waiting list and asking to be put on it. Just in case you find a vet but aren't happy. (If you find a vet you like and they call you with an open slot you can always just tell them to call the next person on the list.). 🙂

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would, as well as the hospitals that aren't accepting new patients. See if they recommend anyone else in the area.
It also might be a good idea if you would ask one of the hospitals you talked to if they're taking a waiting list and asking to be put on it. Just in case you find a vet but aren't happy. (If you find a vet you like and they call you with an open slot you can always just tell them to call the next person on the list.). 🙂
One nearby animal hospital says they may accept new patients in June. I'd thought the other day about asking if they have a wait list. Agree it's good to consider contingencies.

Just received all the records from our prior vet.

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: I contacted our local NBC affiliate to let them know what we've experienced. They expressed interest in doing an interview and broadcasting a segment. It aired two days ago near the start of their broadcast at 6 pm. The reporter and I hope that more folks are aware of this important issue. Here's the segment:
Veterinarian Shortage in Sussex County

Epilogue: yesterday I encountered a stray walking among large trucks at a convenience store near a busy highway. Scrounging and begging for food. Wished I could help...take it to a vet and into a loving home...