Finding A Home For A New Cat

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need to find a new home for my almost 2yr old cat. We can’t keep her anymore. She’s puking and peeing and pooping on everything. We don’t have the money to take her to the vet and step mom doesn’t want to either. But she has to go soon. We don’t want to take her to the shelter. They’re a high kill shelter.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You could try re-homing her, but the problems may very well still exist (if behavioral) or will definitely still exist (if health related) and she'll end up where you don't want her to be anyway by the new people.

I looked back at your other threads - be sure and request a re-homing fee to keep the creeps away, and you could try Nextdoor.com. Don't use craigslist.

This is titled for kittens but the information applies to cats too.
"kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens

I'll mention these things just in case you're able to get your parents to make some changes.
First, can you try changing food? Walmart, Tractor Supply and local grocery store/supermarkets have decent foods that aren't expensive. Canned food would be a better choice.
You could even try different water?

Another litter box, and different litter? There are Cat Attract litters, to cut the expense some people put about a cup of it on top of other litter, but there are other litters available that she might like as well.

Also, do you have cats roaming around outside that she can see and/or hear? Try putting non-sticky window coverings on the lower parts of those windows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I currently have her on canned food as of 2 days ago and she keeps puking it back up. I’ve tried feeding her once at night and once in the morning but she keeps puking. I don’t have the time nor money to spend on a vet visit. I’ve already had to give away my bearded dragon because of $$. I have 2 other cats I need to rehome also. I’ve tried a calming collar but she still pees and puked on everything.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try a 50:50 ratio of boiled unseasoned chicken and white rice to settle her stomach, or even a little canned chicken - if it's got sodium/salt in it, rinse it first.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can try but I doubt my step mom would want to do that.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well. Dad and stepmom talked about it and I can only keep one cat. I have to get rid of the rest in two weeks or she’s hauling them off somewhere.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found home for two of the small kittens but I still have to find homes for the three other cats/kittens. And I posted on the Nextdoor site you recommended and no one has said anything.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
if you can, bump that nextdoor post early tomorrow morning, sometimes it takes a little while...hang in there!!

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Google online for local cat rescues and see if any of them can take any of the cat's you need to re-home. If you say your parents are taking them to a kill shelter very soon they may step up and take them. Rescues are usually no kill unless the cat is sick. The one that's vomiting and peeing and pooping everywhere could have serious health issues or just be stressed with food allergies or something minor. But the longer she goes sick and untreated the more dehydrated she'll get and harder to treat.

Your parents really should pay for one vet visit just to make sure she's ok. If they can afford it, that is. There's low cost clinics that don't charge for exams that could say if it's an emergency or not and give some good guesses as to what's wrong with her.

She could be allergic to chicken like my dog is and need to only eat beef or tuna or turkey flavored food, limit the ingredients to one kind only. Maybe try giving her baby food in one flavored broth. If she's been eating chicken and getting sick, try turkey or beef.

Is she spayed? If not that could be why she's peeing, to mark her territory. Or having a lot of cats in the house is stressing her, or a urinary tract infection which can be very painful. If a cat has a urinary tract infection or is in pain they'll avoid the litter box because they associate using it with feeling pain.

Does someone change the litter boxes every day? Are there enough litter boxes (1 per cat?) If they're not clean or too many cats have to share one, she'd avoid the traffic and a dirty box and just go in the house if she's afraid of being bullied. Especially if she already feels sick.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I still have to find homes for two kittens and two adult cats and it has to be very soon.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey. I am so sorry about all of this. I have been in a similar situation when I was younger. I don’t know where you are but that can make a difference. Don’t put details out pubkicly though. Try this, do a google search of cat rescuers in your area. Try city, county and state. There are vet services for people who cannot afford them so google that too. Call all the local vets near you or even go there if you can and plead for help. Tell them your whole story and show them pictures of the kitties. Ask for any help they can give you or any information they can give you. ( I would not normally say this but after reading your story...... a few genuine tears might help to get the kitties some help) My heart goes out to you. Purina cat food company has a site to help find homes too. Rehoming your pet. Your parents may not want or be able to get the kitties spayed or neutered but maybe if they knew there were places that will do that it would make a difference.The National Spay Alliance helps and your local Humane Society May have a grant to help. They might also help with the sick kitty. Some vets volunteer to places like that. Tell them your story just like you did here. It’s really all about finding one person who cares and will help. Makes tons of phone calls, emails and texts for help. Any group you find through google needs to hear from you. The more people you tell, the better your chances are. Some areas have Retirement homes who might take a kitty. Ask. If you are part of any kind of church or religious group then go to the head of that and ask them to make an announcement to help these living creatures. If you can’t find any groups to help you can send me a PM and I will try to help you. Alley Cat Allies might be able to give you information. I know it seems like a lot to do but it gives you a much better chance of finding them safe homes. Please let me know what happens. I think you are fantastic for trying so hard to help these kitties.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good news! I found a home for two of the kittens. The multicolored kitten and one of the black ones. They leave this weekend. I’ll still have the two adults and one more kitten to find a home for. I really wish I could keep Callie myself because I love that cat to pieces but I can’t so I want her to find a really good home but it’s hard since she’s not a kitten kitten anymore.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s been a while since I updated so good news and bad news. I have gotten rid of 2 out of the 3 kittens (1 black left) and parents day if I get rid of her we’ll keep the three adults. BUT bad news... Salem, the black kitten, is still not using the box. she’s peeing on my sheets and pooping on the floor.

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No they are not. There is one black kitten left