Finding A Felv+ Rescue Cat A Forever Home

greyteque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I realize that this forum is not typically a place to try to find a cat a home, but I figured it was worth a long shot, as I'm running out of options. I would also be open to any advice (stuff I haven't already tried - please read below) to find a 3-year old, sweet, sassy, orange/white tabby female FeLV+ cat that I rescued a permanent wonderful home or a sanctuary.

I am located in Belleville, NJ (Northern, NJ) however I am willing to make the time to drive her just about anywhere to find her the best possible situation!

In July of this year I rescued a sweet, friendly (but unclaimed) cat who turned out to be FeLV+. When rescuing her my intent was to find her a home, however her FeLV status has made it quite challenging. She has been confirmed positive by the IFA test. She is about 3 years old and I've had her vaccinated, spayed and dewormed.

I unfortunately cannot provide a permanent home for her as I am guardian to four non-positive rescue cats of my own (FeLV is contagious to other cats - but not to humans or other animals). I've been going through great measures to keep them separate (she is kept in a small spare bedroom) and to not spread the illness (hand sanitizer, changing shoes in the room, etc... to be on the safe side) . I give her as much attention as I can but she is very social and doesn't like being isolated from the rest of my home.

That being said, she will be staying with me, safe and with a full belly, until I find her the much better situation that she deserves!

I have been trying very hard to find her a great compassionate home that would be able to provide her the vet care and nutrition she will need, but have not had any luck yet. I've posted her adoption flyer on tons of Facebook cat groups as well as my personal page and local pages, but no one is interested.

I've also reached out to local rescues in my area but they are too busy and most of them do not adopt out FeLV cats. One rescue was nice enough to let me show her at an adoption event, but unfortunately, she was very scared and her sweet, quirky personality didn't get to come out. I am hesitant to take her to more adoption events because I'm worried the stress isn't good for her immune system. She is healthy right now and very friendly and social.

I have also contacted **many** FeLV sanctuaries, which are all full and unable to help right now. I'm am still waiting to hear back from a few, but I much rather get her into a home, if the right one exists.

She has been doing really well since I took her in. She's gained some weight, has a great appetite, is very social, loves humans and is playful. She would be very adoptable if not for her FeLV status. I've been giving her a L-Lysine supplement, feeing her high quality grain free wet food and learning everything I can about FeLV!

I've named her Nettles. She loves being petted and brushed (but not held). She "marches" in place when she is happy (usually when eating or interacting with humans) and she is very playful. I've attached some recent pictures, as well as the adoption flyer that I've been posting to various Facebook groups.

I would also greatly appreciate anyone who would be willing to share her adoption flyer with their networks and on their social media pages! My contact info (email and cell phone # is on the flyer). My personal facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/greyteque - all my post about her are public if you want to share.

Please let me know if you have any advice or leads to an amazing home!

Thank you! View attachment 196177 net1.JPG net2.JPG net3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What an amazing person you are for doing all this. I certainly hope you can find her another loving home. If not, maybe one of those FeLV Rescues will eventually come thru :crossfingers:

Dorothym

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I recently found a forever home for my FIV+ foster, so I'm wishing you the best of luck.

I would recommend continuing to go to the adoption events, that's how my FIV+ foster found a home. The first time is always the most stressful. Does the rescue running the event have a Petfinder or adopt-a-pet account? If so I would see if you could add her there. Try and do some studio/professional style photographs for the flyer and website.

I hope she finds a good home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greyteque

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you - I found a great guardian (very experienced with FeLV) for Nettles and will be taking her there next week. I have agreed to raise some money to help the new guardian with some of the veterinary care that Nettles might need in the future. I just started a GoFundMe for her. If anyone would like to donate a small amount or share on your networks it would be much appreciated!

Click here to support Nettles Veterinary Fund organized by Shan Baker

Thanks again for your support.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:

To all members, a reminder that it is your responsibility to check out these solicitors to the best of your ability. Ask for references, phone numbers, call around the area and find out if this is a legitimate cause or a scam. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reason that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized.

Please note that this is a generic note added after all pleas for money.