Finding a claw-proof (!) comforter for my bed

SadieAdvocate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since rescuing my little boy, I've had a crash course in learning to meet his special needs. One of the challenges I constantly have is finding surfaces he can't shred, because his claws can't retract very well. For this reason, I have no carpets and no covered furniture--he avoids anything that even looks like carpet, because he knows his claws will stick and frustrate him.

Bedding, that's the hurdle I'm on now.

He can only comfortably walk on a few fabrics. He really loves sleeping on my winter bubble coat (nylon casing), I have to "rent" it from him on cold days. Are there comforters made from this material? Or are there any fabrics similar to this? Cotton of any thread-count is a no-go, he will slash it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt it. You may want to look into a duvet cover to put the actual comforter into. I found this web site that sells nylon duvet covers:

Or try this DIY sleeping bag turned comforter:

Or place a small nylon fabric (scrap from the fabric store, actual pet mat / bed, old sleeping bag, etc) on the bed so your cat has his own place to sleep and claw at.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you considered gel claw caps? They can be applied at home, and although they shed off periodically, they are really very reasonably priced. They are blunt enough not to snag in fabrics.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Will he let you keep his nails trimmed short? Even if they don't retract well, I'd think without the sharp points, they wouldn't be so apt to catch in things.

About the comforter, I have 2. They are both made of "polyester fibers" however, one is more "satin-y" and is full of claw picks. The other is more "cotton-y", I guess, and doesn't have any claw picks. I got the 2nd one at Walmart, so maybe check out their comforters.

I just Googled "claw proof bedding" and found some links that might be helpful.
Cat Proof Bedding | Cat Claw Resistant Bed Sheets ⋆ Happy City Cat
Finding a cat-proof comforter for the bed
Cat Proof Bedspread - ProTeacher Community

Plus this one from TCS:
Claw resistant blanket?