Financial Assistance for FIP Treatment

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the drug is the GS441524. We were told subcutaneous and not to put it into the muscle. We were also given a chart as to where to give the injections, which is in the front shoulder area, to the side and not over the spine. Did your cat have wet or dry FIP?
I want to investigate more about this muscle/skin thing.
We weren't given any chart, and because he was a feral cat and very handy, the best we (the lady at the shelter) could do, was to give the shot in the cat's left hind leg.
He had a wet FIP.

I wouldn't like to dash your hopes, but my cat didn't make it.
He finished his treatment mid July, he died a month later... His name was Matisse

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a facebook group called (I think) FIP warriors, specifically for people who have Cats diagnosed with FIP to get information and help. I don't have much info on it myself as I don't use facebook, but I've seen other people post about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Illiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a facebook group called (I think) FIP warriors, specifically for people who have Cats diagnosed with FIP to get information and help. I don't have much info on it myself as I don't use facebook, but I've seen other people post about it.
Yes that is the group I mentioned earlier I joined in order to obtain my medication for Yen.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just read more on it using the actual drug number, and it definitely says to do the injections sub-q, and shows the chart on where to give, etc.
This is the site I read, and it says they have cats in their group on both the most expensive versions of the drug, and the least expensive version and all are doing well. There is apparently also a pill version of the medication. General FAQs About Treating FIP Using GS-441524

Antonio65 Antonio65 , I'm sorry Matisse didn't make it. :rbheart: No one can ever say you don't give cats your all, that's for sure :alright:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read more on it using the actual drug number, and it definitely says to do the injections sub-q, and shows the chart on where to give, etc.
This is very serious! It might mean that we had the wrong directions and that this might have changed the outcome of the treatment! :(

Antonio65 Antonio65 , I'm sorry Matisse didn't make it. :rbheart: No one can ever say you don't give cats your all, that's for sure :alright:
Thanks mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens :redheartpump:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is very serious! It might mean that we had the wrong directions and that this might have changed the outcome of the treatment! :(
I sure hope not. I would talk to whoever you got the directions from though, and if they gave you misinformation, perhaps if nothing else, you can get your money back for the drug. It's too late for Matisse, sadly, but if you were able to recoup your money, you might be able to help more cats along the way.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope not. I would talk to whoever you got the directions from though, and if they gave you misinformation, perhaps if nothing else, you can get your money back for the drug. It's too late for Matisse, sadly, but if you were able to recoup your money, you might be able to help more cats along the way.
I just texted the vet, and she told she's sure the lady at the shelter had been instructed to give the shots under the skin and along Matisse's sides.
Anyway I will soon talk to that lady and ask her what she did.
I was there a few times during those 14 weeks, I witnessed at least 5 or 6 injections, and I could swear they were in his muscle in the hind leg.
I can't wait to go to the shelter and know.

Whatever the answer is, it will be hard to prove that someone did it wrong.
My only concern is Matisse, not the money.
Thank you for your support and words of encouragement.

Illiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 I'm sorry to hear about Matisse. I'm sure he's waiting on the bridge for you.

Yeah it may be a good idea to find out how they were giving him the shots. Just so you can maybe know exactly what happened and if it was something they did wrong.

Illiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to all who have been following Yen's story. I just wanted to share that I will not be posting updates for a few days while I am out of state. My mom has stopped her dialysis treatments and I had to rush home to spend time with her before the end. I hope you'll still keep an eye out for updates later if you are following. Thank you.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I Illiana , I just read your update on Yen's fundraiser page. I'm so sorry about your mother. :hugs:

My sympathies are with you and your family.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I Illiana , I just love reading your updates on Yen's GoFundMa page. She seems to be doing fantastic :cheerleader: . And now today I see her sores are healing up nicely. What do you attribute that to? Her entire journey gives me such hope for the future of so many kitties with this dreaded disease. I just hope they can get the cost to a reasonable amount so more people can take advantage of this medicine and help their furbabies.

Just wanted you to know that your updates are being read, AND that Yen is so adorable. I just love seeing pictures of her :loveeyes:

Illiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens Thank you so much! And also thank you for your sympathies. My Mom passed on 10-10-2020. I was not there, but I had just called my dad a few minutes before she took her last breath so i was there in spirit.

I think the contributing factor for her wounds healing is an antimicrobial spray I purchased from PetCo called vetericyn. We also greatly avoided giving shots in the same area, and alternate sides each day for the shots.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I Illiana , still enjoying reading the updates on your GoFundMe page. Yen is a hoot! And just over two weeks to go with those horrible shots! I'll bet you can't wait for that to be over with, particularly since she's gotten so much better that she's fighting them. But how wonderful that she's feeling that good :cheerleader:. Do keep us posted here on TCS as time goes on.after all her shots are done. I've grown quite attached to her.

Illiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even once her shots are done I will continue to post updates for everyone! You all kept track with her progress while she was ill, that I will certainly let you all follow along as she gets to be a normal kitten!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yay :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:. I see Yen is done with her treatment. What super news!

This new treatment for FIP is about the only good news to come out of the year 2020, and it's GREAT news.