Finally Trapped My Feral - Then Let Her Go! Should I Re-trap?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding a feral cat for several months and trapped her to bring her inside since I will be moving this summer (I feel she is dependent on me at this point). After only a few minutes in the trap, I freaked out and let her go because my heart was breaking as she yowled and threw herself against the trap. I had never seen a cat so afraid. Well, she was back for dinner the following night (this was three nights ago). It's been months of feeding and I still can't touch her. She has been spayed, by the way (ear tipped), so it's not urgent.

What do I do? Trap her again? She comes regularly, once or twice daily.

How long will she yowl for once she is in her Safe Room? I live in an apartment, so this is a concern.

Do I take her to the vet immediately upon trapping her (that sounds very traumatic, but I have other cats to consider)?

Will she lunge at me when I go into her safe room to feed her or will she hide instead?

I love the little gal, please help!

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats will not go back into a humane trap if they have been trapped before. You may need to borrow a drop trap, or somehow lure her into your house. Be sure and scrub the trap well so the smell of fear isn't still in it. Try to camouflage it by putting a brown or green towel on the bottom inside of the trap and put dirt and twigs inside. If you are taking her immediately to her safe room in your house, then it shouldn't be too traumatic for her to be in the trap for the minute it takes to get her into your house. Of course any animal is going to be scared and struggle once the trap door closes. When you cover the trap with a towel or blanket, they calm down rather quickly.

If getting her to a vet to get tested for FIV and felv is a main concern, you might consider taking her immediately to the vet once she is trapped. Once she is trapped, it is important to cover the trap with a towel or blanket because it will calm her down. You should also get her vaccinated for rabies, and have them treat her with Frontline Plus for fleas . They may need to sedate her to do these things.

If you want to hold off on the vet visit, keep her in a room of her own ( which you would do anyway for at least a few weeks). Provide her with a litter box, water, and a bowl of dry food that is available 24/7. Provide a few catnip toys. If you have a cat tree, that is ideal for socializing. It provides both height and cubby holes for her to hide in . If not, provide her with a place to hide but cat proof the rest of the room. You didn't mention how old she is? Feral cats that are over a year old may not adjust to life as an indoor-only cat, and that kind of life may be too stressful for them. You will know after a few weeks whether or not she could make the adjustment. A certain amount if yowling or crying may be expected. However if she caterwauls, and scales the walls and windows desperately seeking a way out, and this behavior doesn't lessen after a week or two, then you might try to find another person in your neighborhood to assume responsibility for her care as an outdoor cat. If she is mostly quiet after a week of crying and frightened, but not desperately seeking escape, socialization msy likely take place, but it may take a while. There are a lot of helpful threads on this site about socializing feral cats which you could find very helpful. Thank you for helping this Kitty.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
By all means trap her and take her with you if she's dependent on you. Just be aware that you'll have to keep her inside for 3 or 4 months after you move so that she doesn't disappear after she's let outside again. Many experts say ferals should be kept inside for at least 6 months.

I've been involved in several of our shelter's TNR operations, and one of the biggest surprises was that true ferals don't yowl. They'll growl and hiss while in the trap or if they're put in a quarantine cage for medical treatment and have to endure close proximity to a human, but they're unaccustomed to communicating with people, and their instinct is to not draw attention to themselves when they're confined to safe rooms and feeling vulnerable. (It can take weeks to trap and neuter an entire colony, so we keep them in large rooms at the shelter until we're pretty certain we've got them all, then release them en masse. We also have a large resident colony that couldn't be returned due to construction.)

You'll almost certainly have to take her to the vet while she's still in the trap, for your own and the vet's safety. There are special "crush carriers" (wire carriers with an insert that enable vets to press the cat against the side of the carrier to give injections), but it's extremely difficult for the unpracticed to transfer a cat from a trap to a carrier, and your vet might not even have such a carrier to lend you.

She won't lunge at you unless you get awfully close to her in the safe room, i.e., you're inches away from her. Ferals won't lash out unless they're cornered. She'll hide for the most part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your input, both of you! I see I made a mistake by not covering the trap with a blanket when I first caught her. I do think she will go in it again - it was her second time (someone before me), and I had no trouble. I fed her near the trap for a few days and she waltzed right into it. I do think she would go in it again.

I am relieved to hear that yowling in her safe room would be unlikely. If that were the case, I would not be able to keep her inside since I live in an apartment.

I will give it a few more days and re-trap her. I am undecided about when to go to the vet - ideally, right away, but to put her in a car after trapping her just sounds so very stressful.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the ferals I had in a safe room started to yowl at night his second night there, he was extremely frustrated. He tolerated confinement for a few days and then started jumping and scaling up the walls and windows. That was the only cat whoever reacted to that extreme, and the only cat I ever trapped and ended up releasing back outside to care for him as an outdoor feral. Yes, it is hard when they cry or yell or panic. Whenever I am transporting a cat in a trap to the vet, or going through the initial stages of socialization with the cat in my safe room, I keep reminding myself that their fear and discomfort will be short-lived. I currently have 3 formerly feral cats living inside my house with a formerly semi feral, and also a cat I adopted from a shelter. They are all very pampered and content. I don't think any of the ferals ever think about the initial trauma of being trapped, they are too busy playing with their toys and sleeping on my bed it is well worth the effort. :)

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear you have successfully brought in so many ferals! This makes me optimistic! She just ate a huge dinner, but I didn't set the trap out yet. I figure wait a few days from the last trapping.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think waiting is a good idea. You may be surprised at how docile they can be after all of the drama. And, yes, covering them really helps them to calm down.
I would wait to take her to the vet. That may be just too much trauma all at once. Sometimes it takes awhile to find a vet who is really comfortable with handling ferals. If they and their staff don't have experience their own fear of the feral acting out makes everything worse.
I would just concentrate now on bringing her in, getting her to realize you are not going to eat her. By the way, do blink at her ....eyes closed for 2 or 3 seconds. Then open, then close again. Also look her directly in the eye and back away from her while doing so. Do that often. That signals to the cat you are not a predator. And, finally, drop your head down and roll it around in that position for a few seconds. That also signals non-predator behavior, and a wish to play.
I hope it all goes well. Just keep saying to yourself "this is because I care for you and because I want to help you and I really know what is best for you".

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those are wonderful tips, thank you! I must be making progress, though, because I used to not even be able to watch her in the window without her running away. Now, she definitely knows it is me in the window and she looks at me. She looks alert, but not frightened. However, as soon as I open the door to put the food out, off she goes. Then she comes back a few seconds later after I have gone back inside (I can see her in the window).

I agree about waiting for the vet. As long as she gets tested before being exposed to my other cats.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that the next step in socializing her is to put her food out at feeding time and sit a good six feet away from her food bowl. Look away and do not make any kind of eye contact with her. She will slowly and timidly approach her food to eat. Do this for several days, and she will begin to feel comfortable eating in your presence. Gradually move closer to her food bowl so you are only a few feet away. You can do this while she is still outside, and also when you bring her inside. It's important for her to build up trust enough for you to be near her. When are you moving? If you aren't moving for another five or six months, you could maybe take a few extra weeks socializing her while she is still outside, so she has some comfort level with you before you bring her inside.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no experience with ferals, so have no advise to offer, but I do enjoy reading the threads about trapping and socializing these fearful felines, so I am going to follow your thread and be here to offer moral support.

If you haven't read them yet, here are a couple articles about trapping/socializing ferals:
Should You Try And Tame A Feral Cat?
Handling Feral Cats

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a great idea! I think the problem is I was too close to the food bowl. I live in an apartment complex and have been trying to be discreet about this whole situation because I don't want anyone complaining that I am feeding ferals, etc. People can be unkind when it comes to feeding outdoor kitties. I will try from a good 6 feet and see how that goes.

I am not moving until the Fall, so I have several months. I have a feeling it may take that long! She is so worth it, though! :)

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She isn't just a feral or stray, she's your cat. If you were the one to spay her, she is legally yours. Even if you weren't the one to take her to the vet, you are her caretaker and intend to take her with you when you move. It would be good if some of your neighbors knew that she is your cat so no one mistreats her or calls Animal Control. I understand you wanting to be discreet about the situation, though, you never know who might complain to the landlord.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She won't eat in my presence, even from 6 feet away. I didn't want her to miss breakfast, so I finally gave up and went inside. I will try from across the greens next time. Quite a distance, but she must get used to eating in my presence or she will never get acclimated inside.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think waiting is a good idea. You may be surprised at how docile they can be after all of the drama. And, yes, covering them really helps them to calm down.
I would wait to take her to the vet. That may be just too much trauma all at once. Sometimes it takes awhile to find a vet who is really comfortable with handling ferals. If they and their staff don't have experience their own fear of the feral acting out makes everything worse.
I would just concentrate now on bringing her in, getting her to realize you are not going to eat her. By the way, do blink at her ....eyes closed for 2 or 3 seconds. Then open, then close again. Also look her directly in the eye and back away from her while doing so. Do that often. That signals to the cat you are not a predator. And, finally, drop your head down and roll it around in that position for a few seconds. That also signals non-predator behavior, and a wish to play.
I hope it all goes well. Just keep saying to yourself "this is because I care for you and because I want to help you and I really know what is best for you".
I was in an awful hurry when I posted, so I want to clarify some of the "tips" for helping ferals. All of the behaviors I have mentioned above (eye closing for 3 seconds, then opening, then closing; head dropping, backing away, should all be done in the beginning while standing up.
You CAN look directly into any wild or feral animal's eyes as long as you are backing up at the same time. Predator's ALWAYS move towards their victim...never away from them. What is needed with feral cats first and foremost is to convince them you are not a predator. Their mother's spend their entire time (once the kitten's eyes are open) along with how to hunt, groom, etc. teaching them how to behave with predators. And, humans are predators, whether or not you feed makes no difference. You simply are a predator and it is your job to convince the ferals otherwise.
So, do the suggested behavior standing up while you are getting to know them, and down on all fours as quickly as possible (outside too, if you can). Once you have the cat indoors, then practice those behaviors every day on all fours. If you nod your head down, and move it side to side while also giving them a toy....you will be communicating that you want to play. (Definitely NOT a predator's behavior.)
If you have questions, let me know.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Supermax, your tips worked! Things are improving! Tonight, she ate her dinner in my presence! It was 11 feet away, but that is the FIRST time she would eat without me having to go inside. I stayed the whole time, and when she would look up at me, I would slow-blink, then do the head roll. I sat, then crouched, then stood - at no point did she run.

I would do this in 2 foot increments - I have several months, so there is time.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So happy for you. It really does work. Take your time I wouldn't move in any closer in one sitting than a couple of feet. And the minute she runs, you have moved in too close. Back up to where you last were, looking at her, if possible.And if you want to just stand or sit wherever you are.. always do the blinking ...lots... and someday you will notice a "softness" in her eyes and the way she looks at you. You'll know then she is beginning to trust you. Sometimes, sadly, that is as far as it goes, but I think there is always a possibility for more of even the most feral if you have the time and can dedicate yourself to doing it. If you will remember Jane Goodall did that with the Gorillas, she just sat with them and learned to mimic behaviors that were normal for Gorillas.
That is the key with all wild animals...to learn what behaviors are most common to them, especially those behaviors they do between each other. When we lose our "humanness" and become more "feral" we have a chance of becoming friends.
Please let me know how it goes!

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Supermax, your tips worked! Things are improving! Tonight, she ate her dinner in my presence! It was 11 feet away, but that is the FIRST time she would eat without me having to go inside. I stayed the whole time, and when she would look up at me, I would slow-blink, then do the head roll. I sat, then crouched, then stood - at no point did she run.

I would do this in 2 foot increments - I have several months, so there is time.
Forgot one last thing. The behavior cats display that most signals they feel comfortable with you is to roll on their backs. I haven't done that yet (I think the neighbors would call the psych. ward if they saw me do that), but if you can, you might try that after a while (THEN, OF COURSE, you will have to post pictures!).

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So far so good! Although, I have not rolled on my back yet, lol! I moved the food plate closer, and she comes. She is also approaching less gingerly, more confident.

Last night it was cold, so I put a box out with towels, not thinking she would use it. But when I peeked out the window this morning, there she was, snug as can be! She would never have done that weeks ago - she would have slept in the woods.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So glad it is going well. If you have a feed store nearby that sells straw you could try putting the straw (NOT HAY) in a box for her. My ferals love it. On cold mornings you can actually see the heat rising from the straw (it makes its own heat...something about decomposing, or something..don't really know why, but it is warm for them). Then when you can put a roof on it (like a big rubber-maid box with a cover or something similar), she will really be quite warm. I pile the straw really high so they can snuggle in it.

Sounds as if you are really making progress with her. So happy for both of you.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've caught a few ferals and once i got them inside i set them up a base in the bathroom. The tub was good to keep walls between us and i keep a cat carrier with door open in there. To me it seemed a good option then they will associate carrier with a safe space. I lay down some blankets and some food a small litter pan and just wait it out till their comfortable to approach or come out. Right now i got a Russian Blue mix named Church in our bathroom he'll come out when were not around when i go to the door i can hear him shuffle back in. I even out a few treats on top of the carrier (that is covered by a towel) I try and coax him out to feel more at ease to explore. So far so good :) I wish you the best of luck and give them lots of time to come around. i know waiting for them is the hardest part. We've only had Church two days and it feels like forever