Finally making the jump to RAW

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We recently moved into a new home about 2 months ago and have been super busy painting it and fixing it that Ive sort of put this on hold. But Im ready to finally try it and make my first batch. Ive watched a few videos and thought I seek out some advice on here before I go out and buy/make it all.

First question is, can anyone please recommend a very simple and easy to make recipe that will not overwhelm my first batch? Next is I saw a website that offered all the supplements needed to add to it called felines pride kit, would anyone recommend this or another place to go to get a similar kit to avoid buying all the supplements individually? Lastly, are certain meats like liver and ground turkey necessary or can you just simply do the chicken thighs mixed with the supplements?

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are several supplement premixes you can get:

Alnutrin http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com

Raw Made Easy https://www.mypetspride.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66

Better In The Raw https://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/cat_food_better_in_the_raw

TCFeline http://tcfeline.com/tcfeline-canada/

EZ Complete http://www.foodfurlife.com

You decide how easy is easy for you and then choose appropriate supplement. Some of them are for just meat, some of them are for meat+bone, some of them require fresh liver in the recipe, and some - do not.

Most of these supplements include a recipe and they all are pretty straight forward. 

When you are just starting out, it's fine to use just one source of protein (like chicken thighs) but it is strongly advised to include at least 3 different proteins in your cat's diet to avoid possible allergy development, plus different meats have different nutritional profile which will provide more balanced diet to your cat long term. 

I started out with chicken+chicken liver+Alnutrin with Calcium. For 2-3 weeks that's all my cat ate. Then I introduced turkey and beef. So now my cat eats 3 different proteins homemade raw + some freeze dried raw i order online + occasional can of cat food.

Make sure if you are buying meat at the store, it hasn't been injected with broth or saline solution and no preservatives have been added. Sodium level must be below 100mg per serving (4oz) for the meat to be suitable for a cat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are several supplement premixes you can get:
Alnutrin http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com
Raw Made Easy https://www.mypetspride.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66
Better In The Raw https://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/cat_food_better_in_the_raw
TCFeline http://tcfeline.com/tcfeline-canada/
EZ Complete http://www.foodfurlife.com

You decide how easy is easy for you and then choose appropriate supplement. Some of them are for just meat, some of them are for meat+bone, some of them require fresh liver in the recipe, and some - do not.

Most of these supplements include a recipe and they all are pretty straight forward. 

When you are just starting out, it's fine to use just one source of protein (like chicken thighs) but it is strongly advised to include at least 3 different proteins in your cat's diet to avoid possible allergy development, plus different meats have different nutritional profile which will provide more balanced diet to your cat long term. 

I started out with chicken+chicken liver+Alnutrin with Calcium. For 2-3 weeks that's all my cat ate. Then I introduced turkey and beef. So now my cat eats 3 different proteins homemade raw + some freeze dried raw i order online + occasional can of cat food.

Make sure if you are buying meat at the store, it hasn't been injected with broth or saline solution and no preservatives have been added. Sodium level must be below 100mg per serving (4oz) for the meat to be suitable for a cat. 
Awesome!! Thank you for the info. Im trying to start with something simple and that doesnt require a lot of manual labor lol. From the wet food I feed my cats now they only seem to like chicken. They usually turn their nose to beef and some turkey, thats about the only other one I can get them to eat.

My next step is finding the meat. I need to search for an organic meat market in my neighborhood if I can find one.

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I just simply go to like Sams Club or Winco for my meat?

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome!! Thank you for the info. Im trying to start with something simple and that doesnt require a lot of manual labor lol. From the wet food I feed my cats now they only seem to like chicken. They usually turn their nose to beef and some turkey, thats about the only other one I can get them to eat.

My next step is finding the meat. I need to search for an organic meat market in my neighborhood if I can find one.
Yeah, no problem) I, myself, just started that journey not so long ago and understand it can be a bit overwhelming. 

You mean they only like chicken cat food in cans? Or have you tried giving them small pieces of raw meat to try. That's how i initially started by simply giving raw meat as treats. Mine didn't want to eat beef but now is slowly warming up to it :) But, yes, start with something they will be eager to it. 
Can I just simply go to like Sams Club or Winco for my meat?
If the cost is not the issue, go for organic meat, but It's ok to buy regular supermarket meat. So, yes, you can totally shop for your cat where you shop for yourself, just watch out for those sodium levels, sometimes more expensive brand could have higher sodium content then the cheaper one, always go for the lowest number. I buy my meats at the local supermarket, there I also found chicken liver (apparently, they have it all the time but in the back and frozen, since not many people buy it). 

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, no problem) I, myself, just started that journey not so long ago and understand it can be a bit overwhelming. 

You mean they only like chicken cat food in cans? Or have you tried giving them small pieces of raw meat to try. That's how i initially started by simply giving raw meat as treats. Mine didn't want to eat beef but now is slowly warming up to it :) But, yes, start with something they will be eager to it. 

If the cost is not the issue, go for organic meat, but It's ok to buy regular supermarket meat. So, yes, you can totally shop for your cat where you shop for yourself, just watch out for those sodium levels, sometimes more expensive brand could have higher sodium content then the cheaper one, always go for the lowest number. I buy my meats at the local supermarket, there I also found chicken liver (apparently, they have it all the time but in the back and frozen, since not many people buy it). 
They arent too big on the beef can cat food. We have 4 plus 2 fosters, and of our 4 we have 1 that will eat anything, 2 that are in between, and 1 that is super picky lol.

Thats good to know about the liver, Ive been looking around for it for the last few weeks and couldnt find any. Im going to try and find a meat market or a place with organic first, Im pretty picky with what I give my little ones. I care about there diet more than mine lol

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats good to know about the liver, Ive been looking around for it for the last few weeks and couldnt find any.
Yes, ask the meat department people :) I have a lower end local store that carries fresh beef liver, but chicken liver was easily found in local higher end grocery store, i just asked them :)
Im going to try and find a meat market or a place with organic first, Im pretty picky with what I give my little ones. I care about there diet more than mine lol
Ha-ha, yeah, me too. i'm not particularly concerned about what i eat, but with kitties you gotta be careful since they can't tell you when something isn't right. And always better be safe than sorry. I wish there was a good organic store nearby or a butcher shop, but they are way too far... so i make do with what's available :)
They arent too big on the beef can cat food. We have 4 plus 2 fosters, and of our 4 we have 1 that will eat anything, 2 that are in between, and 1 that is super picky lol.
You know, they might feel different about raw meat. My cat was turning his nose on, well, pretty much ALL cat food, but now eats his chickens and turkeys like a champ! Hope all your kitties will enjoy raw :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Avoid Feline's Pride. That company has gone downhill in the past year or so and many people are upset with how horrible the company is now being run.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/324740/my-pets-pride-felines-pride-operating-without-a-license

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/291787/experience-with-felines-pride

Start with chicken since most cats like that. You can try other meats in the future: beef, rabbit, turkey, duck, etc. Some novel proteins like rabbit and duck may not be easily found in a supermarket or butcher shop. Your best bet is to order these types of meats from Hare-Today.com or from a local independent pet store that sells chubs of raw meat for pet food use.

mardnajela

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We recently moved into a new home about 2 months ago and have been super busy painting it and fixing it that Ive sort of put this on hold. But Im ready to finally try it and make my first batch. Ive watched a few videos and thought I seek out some advice on here before I go out and buy/make it all.

First question is, can anyone please recommend a very simple and easy to make recipe that will not overwhelm my first batch? Next is I saw a website that offered all the supplements needed to add to it called felines pride kit, would anyone recommend this or another place to go to get a similar kit to avoid buying all the supplements individually? Lastly, are certain meats like liver and ground turkey necessary or can you just simply do the chicken thighs mixed with the supplements?
We have three cats, all which are on the raw food diet and I don't know if this info might help but we went on this page called feline-nutrition.org and they had all the info you need plus a really easy to follow recipe which is also really flexible, which is great for cats because once they start on raw they can get tired of foods quicker than regular dry food diets.
Best of luck to you on the raw food diet!

mardnajela

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also
We have three cats, all which are on the raw food diet and I don't know if this info might help but we went on this page called feline-nutrition.org and they had all the info you need plus a really easy to follow recipe which is also really flexible, which is great for cats because once they start on raw they can get tired of foods quicker than regular dry food diets.
What I usually do is buy the packets of chicken thighs at Costco and supplements and organ meat from
Whole Foods. The less chemicals and preservatives the better for your kitty, and the quality of supplements are also important.

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think Ive been on that site too, Ive been trying to read up as much as I can. I still have to get over the fact that I can give my pets raw meats, stuff as humans we've been told could seriously harm us if consumed, even just slightly under cooked. Ive been giving them samples of chicken breast when Im preparing dinner and I still think to myself, are my cats going to get sick from this lol. Does anyone else think this way? I think thats going to be the hardest part for me to adjust to.

So after the food is cut, mixed, prepared, and put into the freezer, whats everyones process of serving it? Do you thaw it out in the fridge 12 to 24 hours or in warm water? Do you serve it cold or do you pop it in the microwave to warm it up a bit?

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think Ive been on that site too, Ive been trying to read up as much as I can. I still have to get over the fact that I can give my pets raw meats, stuff as humans we've been told could seriously harm us if consumed, even just slightly under cooked. Ive been giving them samples of chicken breast when Im preparing dinner and I still think to myself, are my cats going to get sick from this lol. Does anyone else think this way? I think thats going to be the hardest part for me to adjust to.
Yep, can take some getting used to. And yes, like with anything in life, there are risks. However, I think the reward is much greater in this case. And as you also know, buying cat food poses some risks as well, look at numerous recalls now and in the past. No matter what you feed, I think, we gotta watch out for our kitties and monitor them closely 

So after the food is cut, mixed, prepared, and put into the freezer, whats everyones process of serving it? Do you thaw it out in the fridge 12 to 24 hours or in warm water? Do you serve it cold or do you pop it in the microwave to warm it up a bit?
Microwave - is a big NO - NO, since the moment you turn it on the food begins to cook, therefore nutrients get damaged, destroyed or changed, so I personally steer clear of microwave.

I put a day or two worth of food in the fridge to thaw overnight in a plastic container, and before serving I put a portion of what my cat would normally eat for one meal in a different plastic container, close the lid and submerge the bottom of it in warm water for a few minutes, because my kitty prefers it warm. Your cat might like it cold right out of the fridge, you'll just have to try :)

Another tip on warming up food I picked up on this forum is to add less water when making food and then add a tsp or tbs of warm water before serving.

Oh, and I always stir the thawed food before taking out a serving, so all the supplements and water get all mixed with the meat.

If you are short om time and food is still frozen and the kitty is hungry, you can put the food in the zip lock baggy, get as much air out if it before zipping it close, and put it in the cool/slightly warm water in the sink, it will defrost faster than in the fridge. Change water occasionally so the food keeps on thawing. 

That's my two cents. 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with @KiraTheCat about not using a microwave oven on raw cat food: I wouldn't do it, either. (I don't have a microwave oven anyway!) I've added warmish water before, too. 

I freeze raw food in small containers and when I forget to take Rad Cat out of the freezer the night before I need it, I usually let it sit in the refrigerator for a while, then cut (or chip at) the partially frozen food with a knife and chop it up on a plate, flattening it out with a large fork. It thaws pretty quickly then!
Our cats aren't picky about the temperature: they'll eat it as long as it's thawed!

mardnajela

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The great thing about cats is that their stomach acids are so so strong that salmonella really isn't a problem for them. I have a 3 month old kitten who's growing strong and eating raw food it's whole life and some 3 year old cats who made the transition to raw and they have never looked better!
The way I do it is I make my cat food and put daily potions for the cats in ziplock bags and then thaw the food for the next day over night in the fridge. It thaws quickly though.
But some cats may be apprehensive about how cold it might be so something you can do is run the bag under warm water. Ideally they recommend "mouse-like temperature"
But in a pinch (let's say you dont have time for that) cats won't really make a fuss over the temperature (might be differed from cat to cat though)
But all three of my cats eat it cold or warm either way.

mardnajela

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The great thing about cats is that their stomach acids are so so strong that salmonella really isn't a problem for them. I have a 3 month old kitten who's growing strong and eating raw food it's whole life and some 3 year old cats who made the transition to raw and they have never looked better!
Stomach acids are strong but like other people have said, there's always a risk which is why it's always better to look for the best quality ingredients for cat food. I once bought some ground meat from a butcher and it was just putrid. Ever since then I've been grinding it myself, you never know in what conditions those grinders in stores are kept in.

rose2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried EZ Complete? I'm thinking of purchasing it to incorporate a few chunky meat meals per week for kitty. At the moment, some of her meals are raw (premade or chicken wings for teeth) and some are canned, so thinking of introducing EZ as a bit of variety.

Do you think this would be okay and what are your experiences with EZ?

:)

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Has anyone tried EZ Complete? I'm thinking of purchasing it to incorporate a few chunky meat meals per week for kitty. At the moment, some of her meals are raw (premade or chicken wings for teeth) and some are canned, so thinking of introducing EZ as a bit of variety.

Do you think this would be okay and what are your experiences with EZ?

:)
Lots of people here use EZ complete. I just got a sample from them to see if my kitty likes it sprinkled on (haven't actually tried it yet). The ingredients in this premix sound really good. And I think your kitty will enjoy more raw in his/her diet. It is fine to feed raw and canned, as long as your raw is balanced which it will be with EZ Complete.

Here's the link on how to request samples from them: http://www.foodfurlife.com/contactsamples.html

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much @KiraTheCat   - assuming it's all trialled and tested with no ill long term effects?
No problem. When I was researching raw on the forum I came across a lot of members who's been using EZComplete for a while and some prefer it over other supplements they've tried. You can always write to the company with any questions or concerns you have or start a new thread here just looking for feedback from people who's been feeding EZComplete long term. 

I also think that as long as you provide your kitty with variety of proteins, different cuts of the same proteins,and different brands & flavors of canned food you will be as safe as you can get in terms of meeting your kitty's nutritional needs. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's been a lot of great advice here already. I'll just add in a few links that might be helpful:-[thread="272287"][/thread][article="32321"][/article][article="31714"][/article][article="31138"][/article][article="31997"][/article][article="32194"][/article][article="31673"][/article][article="31801"][/article]