Finally, Jasper gets it!

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our younger Australian shepherd Jasper has had a rough first year. First Jasper had serious gastrointestinal issues that caused many trips to the vet and for which nobody had any answers. I finally figured out his issues on my own (food allergies) and with a carefully researched and controlled diet Jasper has thrived. Then back in the summer Jasper took a nasty fall and injured his leg, requiring surgery and a long period of crate confinement. Because of all his tribulations and the fact that Jasper is very sensitive emotionally (as some aussies are) we haven't been as strict with the training with him as we were with the other dogs we have had. We've had two remaining and frustrating training issues with Jasper. One is that he wouldn't come in from playing outside when called and the other is that he is obsessed with sticks but sticks aren't allowed in the house, so there was always a stand off at the door. Jasper turned a year old in December and it seems he has finally decided to be a grown up dog. Last night I called Jasper to come in. He not only came the first time I called but when he ran up to the door, he laid his stick down to the right of the door and hopped inside. I'm proud of him!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is a beautiful boy! When my avatar Lily was just learning that it was safe to come into the house, she wanted me to stand at the back door at 5AM with the door slightly ajar so that she could just "look."

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have a friend with two Aussies and as pups they were, shall we say, extremely active to the point of being hyper. But they are so intelligent and so cute that they always bring a smile to my face. The friend has been involved in agility for quite some time since she has always had Aussies. However, the younger one of the two she has now has practically driven her to pull her hair out. :frustrated:

Very proud of Jasper, obviously your patience and being consistent has paid off. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a friend with two Aussies and as pups they were, shall we say, extremely active to the point of being hyper. But they are so intelligent and so cute that they always bring a smile to my face. The friend has been involved in agility for quite some time since she has always had Aussies. However, the younger one of the two she has now has practically driven her to pull her hair out. :frustrated:

Very proud of Jasper, obviously your patience and being consistent has paid off. :thumbsup:
Both of our aussies are super intelligent, but Jasper is the one that makes me want to pull my hair out because he definitely marches to the beat of his own drum. Jasper's saving grace is his happy-go-lucky temperament.

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another Aussie! Hello, Jasper!

We just got our first Toy Aussie, and she's almost 9 months old. She's growing up, too. She used to be petrified of walking on wet grass, but that's no longer an issue... although she does still have other "quirks" we need to work through. Lol! That's okay though. She's worth it, just like your Jasper.

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another Aussie! Hello, Jasper!

We just got our first Toy Aussie, and she's almost 9 months old. She's growing up, too. She used to be petrified of walking on wet grass, but that's no longer an issue... although she does still have other "quirks" we need to work through. Lol! That's okay though. She's worth it, just like your Jasper.
Awww, the toys are so stinking cute. Our older aussie Kowboy hates water and getting his paws wet. Jasper, on the other hand, adores water. I can't even water my outdoor plants unless I lock Jasper in the house first.
20220618_174949.jpg
20220618_174449.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Jasper is a born aqua lover! 💧 I love seeing dogs enjoying nature. We had to close the blinds and keep our dog in the house when my husband was shoveling then leave him out afterwards to play in the snow.

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was owned by a standard Aussie for 14 1/2 years. He was my ❤dog. When he was 7 months and teething he knocked the Christmas tree over and ate some ornaments. The vet got it all out. View attachment 440959
Beautiful dog. Both of our aussies are joys but Jasper owns my heart. Kowboy is kind of a stick in the mud, always serious and always obedient. Jasper is a goober (one of his many nicknames) with a zest for life that you can't help but enjoy. We lost our two german shepherds in 2022 and it was the same with them. My husband's GSD was all seriousness, all the time, while mine was a 130 pound goofy love bug. Jasper was born a month before my Kane passed away, otherwise I would think that Jasper is Kane reincarnated.
20221215_175150.jpg
20170206_204805 (1).jpg

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jasper is a cutie. :blush: I grew up with Aussies as my dad loves them and has used them a lot with our cattle. They currently have two and they are a lot of fun. Really sweet and loving.

If spaniels hadn't stolen my heart I would probably have one of my own, haha.

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was owned by a standard Aussie for 14 1/2 years. He was my ❤dog. When he was 7 months and teething he knocked the Christmas tree over and ate some ornaments. The vet got it all out. View attachment 440959
I understand about the eating of ornaments. Lillie (Toy Aussie) is the first dog we've ever had that is a chewer and will eat anything. I'm constantly sweeping the floors because of it. If I don't sweep the floors, then SHE will do it for me. Lol!

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand about the eating of ornaments. Lillie (Toy Aussie) is the first dog we've ever had that is a chewer and will eat anything. I'm constantly sweeping the floors because of it. If I don't sweep the floors, then SHE will do it for me. Lol!
Jasper is our first serious chewer. Naturally shed deer and elk antlers turned out to be the answer for us. When my DH complains about antlers scattered all over the floor I remind him it's the antlers or his shoes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We lost our two german shepherds in 2022 and it was the same with them. My husband's GSD was all seriousness, all the time, while mine was a 130 pound goofy love bug.
My sincere sympathies and deepest regrets on the loss of your two GSD's. :hugs: It looks like your husband's GSD was a plush coat, is that correct? My heart dog was a long coated shepherd and sometimes when I wake up in the wee hours of the morning I still think he's lying beside my bed. Such a noble and loyal boy. :redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump:

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sincere sympathies and deepest regrets on the loss of your two GSD's. :hugs: It looks like your husband's GSD was a plush coat, is that correct? My heart dog was a long coated shepherd and sometimes when I wake up in the wee hours of the morning I still think he's lying beside my bed. Such a noble and loyal boy. :redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump:
Thank you. ❤ Kane was 12 years old when he passed. Jax was 13 1/2. Good long lives for GSDs. Kane, the bi-color, was a long-haired and my boy. Jax (hubby's dog) was a sable. They were brother/cousins - same sire and their mothers were full sisters. They were the perfect combination of east German (sire) and west German (mothers) bloodlines...loyal, loving and super intelligent.
I'm sorry for your loss. They never live long enough.
Jax.jpg
20210328_222640.jpg