Finally ........found A Roofer

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a lot of damage to our roof during Hurricane Florence. The insurance adjuster recommended replacement of the roof and it was fully covered by the insurance. All roofers have had too much work since the hurricane. We thought we had a man lined up, but he took another job and never really connected with us. But we finally have a signed contract with a roofer who is fully insured and is a Platinum Roofer with the Owens Corning Company. We think he is about four weeks out and then he will start. How happy I am to know it will be totally replaced should a hurricane blow up the coast of N.C. this year. Praise the Lord.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you are getting yours fixed.
I want to get mine re-done, but with all the wind we get the only way to go is metal and that's a minimum of $10k. But it's supposed to last 75 years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our roofer is showing us an Owens Corning shingle which is supposed to be their top of the line shingle. It is called Durations Tru Definition. It has a sure nail strip which helps keep the shingles from blowing off. 130 mph wind protection is achieved with four nails into this strip. We are trying to find it in a color we like. Our shingles presently are Oakridge Driftwood by Owens Corning. They make the driftwood in the Durations, but is has a lot more color and definition in the shingle. I am used to the blended shingle look of one color, so it will be hard for me to accept the idea of a roof with more color. Still, it will be worth it to have a better roof. Is anyone here familiar with this roof?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
aliceneko aliceneko The roof is not yet fixed but we are getting closer.

Our roofer rode us around for two hours in a subdivision that was flooded and heavily damaged. He has put 400 roofs on there over the years. He was able to find us a house with bricks like ours that had the Owens Corning Tru Definitions shingle in the driftwood color. It looked beautiful on that roof so our decision is made. That is what we will be getting. Our gutters also have to be replaced. He can connect us with some people who do that so we get to have a whole new look on our house. I am getting excited about it now.
The next thing on my list is new flooring in the kitchen/dining room area in my house.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tomorrow is the big day. We will have a new roof before dark.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They arrived at seven o'clock yesterday morning. There were 12 people, the owner of the company, eight roofers and three clean up guys. They were done by one PM, cleaned up and gone by one thirty. The roof is beautiful. It is a different look, not a blended shingle. They are Durations, Tru Definition, in the Driftwood color. They are a mingled look, but it blends in beautifully with the brick. They were hand nailed. Because of the nailing strip on the shingle and how they are installed they have a 130 MPH wind rating. The roofer is a Platinum Certified roofer with the Owens Corning Shingle company. Having him install the shingles gives us a better warranty on the shingles and a ten year warranty on his work. The gutter company will be here today or tomorrow to put up new gutters. We chose the over sized ones because the house sits out in the wide open and because of the roof pitch. The leaf guards are a new style that attach in such a way, nothing can get in the gutters. No more gutter stops forever we hope.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds great!! We had pine trees next to the house when we bought it. We are down to one now; but man the number of pine needles DH has cleaned out!! Then we have silver maples that lose their pinwheels. So that's another clean out! Even with a hose attachment DH ends up with a ladder out to clean it all out right. When/if we get new gutters; I'll be looking for reviews on these!!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They arrived at seven o'clock yesterday morning. There were 12 people, the owner of the company, eight roofers and three clean up guys. They were done by one PM, cleaned up and gone by one thirty. The roof is beautiful. It is a different look, not a blended shingle. They are Durations, Tru Definition, in the Driftwood color. They are a mingled look, but it blends in beautifully with the brick. They were hand nailed. Because of the nailing strip on the shingle and how they are installed they have a 130 MPH wind rating. The roofer is a Platinum Certified roofer with the Owens Corning Shingle company. Having him install the shingles gives us a better warranty on the shingles and a ten year warranty on his work. The gutter company will be here today or tomorrow to put up new gutters. We chose the over sized ones because the house sits out in the wide open and because of the roof pitch. The leaf guards are a new style that attach in such a way, nothing can get in the gutters. No more gutter stops forever we hope.
Good to hear, but keep an eye on the gutters!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds great!! We had pine trees next to the house when we bought it. We are down to one now; but man the number of pine needles DH has cleaned out!! Then we have silver maples that lose their pinwheels. So that's another clean out! Even with a hose attachment DH ends up with a ladder out to clean it all out right. When/if we get new gutters; I'll be looking for reviews on these!!
I had that problem with pine needles due to my house being surrounded by sixty year old pines. After spending a fortune to have them cleaned out every year I went to Leafguard Gutters which have a metal cover partially over them which stops the needles from falling in. Not much more expensive than regular gutters and so worth it.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you think I need to be concerned about the new gutters?
I've known people who had anti-litter gutters that didn't work as well as expected.

Just check to be sure that feature's working properly after a few months. I hope it does, and if it does, advise, so I can recommend to others.