Filtered water

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I be giving my cats filtered water? I've been giving my cats tap water in a bowl for a long time but recently decided it would be better to give filtered if I can afford it. I bought a Brita to give my guinea pigs filtered water which is all new to me. I just recently bought my cat a cat fountain with a filter but I didn't realize the filter is $9 and advised to replace monthly. To expensive. Should I look into a different cat fountain? Should I use without a filter and just put Brita filtered water in it? So far the week I had it I haven't seen my cat drink out of it. He gets most of his water from wet food anyway and I add a little water to his food so he really doesn't drink much anyway.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I use a Brita too, and my cats have fountains that have long been without a filter. IDK if it helps but it's not hurting anything, and I personally prefer the taste of Brita water vs. tap, too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should I use without a filter and just put Brita filtered water in it?
If you decide to leave the fountain out for him, you can eliminate the fountain filter if you change the water frequently and ensure the fountain parts get a good rinse, and then also a complete cleaning regularly.

Rather than, --or in addition to depending on your situation, just a plain bowl of water in another location in the house to really try and entice him, you could try a nonelectric waterer. I ended up having to go this route, because Captain Jack was unimpressed with the electric fountain I put out for him initially.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NX5KZYD/?tag=thecatsite

I prefer filtered water to try and decrease the fluoride, chlorine and who knows what other chemicals the water treatment plants add in their attempts to make the water safe :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you decide to leave the fountain out for him, you can eliminate the fountain filter if you change the water frequently and ensure the fountain parts get a good rinse, and then also a complete cleaning regularly.

Rather than, --or in addition to depending on your situation, just a plain bowl of water in another location in the house to really try and entice him, you could try a nonelectric waterer. I ended up having to go this route, because Captain Jack was unimpressed with the electric fountain I put out for him initially.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NX5KZYD/?tag=thecatsite

I prefer filtered water to try and decrease the fluoride, chlorine and who knows what other chemicals the water treatment plants add in their attempts to make the water safe :)
That's what I've been having to do

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just fill a bowl up from the fountain. If he doesn't start using it soon tho I might as well just unplug it and fill his bowl with Brita water. Those filters last a lot longer

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many of the additives to our city waters evaporate after being left out for an hour. The recommendations for plants is to leave the water out for that long, or overnight. Im sure if it's safe for plants at that point that it's safe for cats.

Rather than a filter though, you can boil the water in your kettle and then allow it to cool.

It's not a must, but many people like to have the filter on the water. It may depend on where you live! Previously, we filtered out cats water because the iron content in the well was high. In the city I live in now, there was no difference in water intake between tap and Brita so I don't use a filter now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many of the additives to our city waters evaporate after being left out for an hour. The recommendations for plants is to leave the water out for that long, or overnight. Im sure if it's safe for plants at that point that it's safe for cats.
Many do such as chlorine, but flouride does not evaporate.

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think it's mostly fine especially if you can't afford it. Of course everything has risks. I'll probably continue to do so tho. I ended up getting 7 free filters by mistake so I'm good for about a year on the fountain

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I read some bottled water isn't to good. Maybe mineral water.

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is what I use for Lunar.
Water Fountain
I replace the filters monthly as per mgf recommendations.
I rinse it out and replace the water every day and it gets a good cleaning twice weekly.
I noticed she drinks more than when I just had a bowl out for her.

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently got one of the fountains with the filter, it was quite inexpensive here.. Previously was just giving tap water, but after one of my cats got kidney failure trying to do anything from letting my other cats get in poor health. Also filling it with bottled water which should be better then tap. Plus now they just drink what we drink minus the continuous filter on the fountain.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This may provide some extra insight regarding water. Additionally, community water treatment plants are finding it more challenging to handle all the contaminants such as over the counter, black market and illegal medicines that people flush or put down the drain, or fertilizer runoff from upstream mountain areas being used for pot growing as in my case, etc.

Hidden Danger in Some Bottled, Filtered and In-Home...