FIC? Something else?

scarlett71177

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12 year old male cat has had increased drinking for the past couple weeks. It turned into one normal pee, and then a few hours later, a tiny one. We assumed it was Feline Idiopathic Cystitis. His bloodwork came back great, good ultrasound and xray on the urinary tract and bladder. Urine culture didn't grow bacteria. Doc said he was very heatlhy. He's been on gabapentin for the weekend and things *may* have improved. He didn't pee for quite a while today- more like his normal schedule. He's sleeping a lot on the gabapentin and maybe that's enough to disrupt his pattern of drinking and peeing a lot. I know FIC has a lot of subtle causes. His vet said it could be rearranging the furniture, the Christmas tree, me making the mistake of changing litter. Does anyone have any feedback? I bought him some new toys, and I'm trying to keep him entertained and spending lots of time with him when he isn't dozing.

The vet said we'd have to look into irritable bowel or pancreatitis next, which is scary. Has anyone else had a cat with FIC who had clean bloodwork and urine? I'm assuming it's more stress induced? Did you go through a barrage of tests to find nothing? Should I be patient? He eats one can of wet food per day and 2 tbsp. of dry food. We're weaning him off the dry. He seems to drink most after eating that dry food. Will things improve as the dry food decreases? Is the cat picking up on MY anxiety over this?

I'd appreciate ANY comments. Thanks in advance.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they changed the formula of the dry food recently or if it was just drier for another reason, he might get more thirsty. Or maybe the wet food's formula? Or does the water taste different?

My cat also seems to drink more water when her dental issues get a flare. Or when she gets constipated.

If you haven't seen this already, worth a read: Drinking A Lot in Cats - Definition, Cause, Solution, Prevention, Cost

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlett71177

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! Constipation was something we did discuss too. Makes sense- drink more to get things moving.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the testing comes back clean, no bacteria, etc. it most likely could be stress related. He's also 12 yeras old and a senior, so it may be age related too. I would definitely encourage drinking more water by leaving small bowls around to make him check them out and hopefully drink. How are his bowel movements? Firm, but not overly so (pellets), is he going regularly? i gave my senior 1/4 tsp. Miralax mixed in an egg yolk to get things going, ask your vet about it if you think he is constipated. Going that tiny amount is what scares me, sounds more like a UTI. if it is the beginning of one you will see him go more and more just going little amounts and he will cry. If he becomes really bad, and they always do on holidays and weekends, feel deeply around his lower abdomen. if you feel a mass like an ornage or even bigger he is blocked and it is an emergency. If you feel nothing. it is most likely a UTI. Please keep us informed! PS would be a good thing to feel his abdomen now to get to know what 'normal' is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlett71177

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He doesn’t poop daily, but every 18 hours or so. He did have quite a bit in his system.

He’s definitely drinking. Clumps have been more normal size today, but still more frequent then normal. Definitely watching for UTIs. And yeah, just in time for the weekend. 🙄. Thanks!