FHV-1

Future Breeder Gail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Purchased a kitten to start my cattery, she traveled from Russia to USA. Upon arrival she showed signs of FHV and testing proved that she is FHV-1 positive. She was vaccinated before leaving Russia, could this be a false/positive diagnosis? If not, would it be ethical to breed her?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You are more likely to get a false negative than a false positive, and no, it would definitely not be ethical to breed her.
Any queen previously infected with FHV will be a permanent carrier and the stress of kittening will often result in re-shedding of FHV which can then be passed to the kittens (although the queen may show no signs herself).

Breeding is not easy; this is just the first hurdle you'll encounter. For a start it's much better to find a closer breeder who can mentor you. There's a good lot of information about how to find a reputable breeder, along with a lot of other things you'll need to know, in here.
Breeding Cats: What Cat Owners Need to Know – TheCatSite Articles

But this is not my area. We have people who know a lot more, and they'll probably post their responses when they're on the forums.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's always possible to get a false reading on a test. You could wait a couple of weeks and have her retested. If she's still positive you have your answer.

Does your contract with the breeder have a health guarantee? Depending on the way it's worded you might be able to get at least part of your money back, or get a different kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Future Breeder Gail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are more likely to get a false negative than a false positive, and no, it would definitely not be ethical to breed her.
Any queen previously infected with FHV will be a permanent carrier and the stress of kittening will often result in re-shedding of FHV which can then be passed to the kittens (although the queen may show no signs herself).
[/URL]

Breeding is not easy; this is just the first hurdle you'll encounter. For a start it's much better to find a closer breeder who can mentor you. There's a good lot of information about how to find a reputable breeder, along with a lot of other things you'll need to know, in here.
Breeding Cats: What Cat Owners Need to Know – TheCatSite Articles

But this is not my area. We have people who know a lot more, and they'll probably post their responses when they're on the forums.
Thank you, I was hoping for a different answer, but you confirmed what I already assumed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Future Breeder Gail

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's always possible to get a false reading on a test. You could wait a couple of weeks and have her retested. If she's still positive you have your answer.

Does your contract with the breeder have a health guarantee? Depending on the way it's worded you might be able to get at least part of your money back, or get a different kitten.
Thank you, I will try testing again. My breeder is applying cost towards another kitten, it is just heartbreaking to have to send her somewhere else to live.