feverish cat cant swallow anything

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, i have a 1 year old cat that recently contracted a high fever (unknown causes so shes been quarantined in case its viral and infects her brother) and the vet said that she also had inflamed tonsils.

She hasnt eaten in over 24 hours and vomited her last meal out so shes running on basically nothing. The vet told us to force feed and ive tried, but she starts squeaking and seems unable to breathe, and immediately starts gagging everything out. Ive only been feeding her realy smooth wet food and vitamin paste, but she wont take them in. Even just water is difficult for her to swallow. Im at a loss on what to do because she needs to eat but it seems like she physically cant take anything in, and shes miserable when i try to push it.

Any advice or suggestions?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think she needs to be at the vets, on a drip to keep her hydrated. Cats cannot go very long at all without water/hydration.
I'm not sure what the vet means by 'force feeding'?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
100% agree with above. Get her to a vet ASAP. In my opinion, any quality vet will hospitalise her immediately if you tell them the above symptoms.

If her gag reflex isn't working, your vet may even consider putting a feed tube in, and yes, IV fluids.

If she can't swallow, I wouldn't advise, in my unprofessional opinion, to continue force feeding her. It could cause even more problems. Best of luck, and please give an update!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she needs to be at the vets, on a drip to keep her hydrated. Cats cannot go very long at all without water/hydration.
I'm not sure what the vet means by 'force feeding'?
thank you for your advice, i'm sending her to a different vet tomorrow morning for the drip because she just vomited the little amount of water she drank. Hope everything goes well by then.

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
100% agree with above. Get her to a vet ASAP. In my opinion, any quality vet will hospitalise her immediately if you tell them the above symptoms.

If her gag reflex isn't working, your vet may even consider putting a feed tube in, and yes, IV fluids.

If she can't swallow, I wouldn't advise, in my unprofessional opinion, to continue force feeding her. It could cause even more problems. Best of luck, and please give an update!
Thank you, i'll update this thread once i've sent her to the vet in the morning and hopefully see some progress.

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, i have a 1 year old cat that recently contracted a high fever (unknown causes so shes been quarantined in case its viral and infects her brother) and the vet said that she also had inflamed tonsils.

She hasnt eaten in over 24 hours and vomited her last meal out so shes running on basically nothing. The vet told us to force feed and ive tried, but she starts squeaking and seems unable to breathe, and immediately starts gagging everything out. Ive only been feeding her realy smooth wet food and vitamin paste, but she wont take them in. Even just water is difficult for her to swallow. Im at a loss on what to do because she needs to eat but it seems like she physically cant take anything in, and shes miserable when i try to push it.

Any advice or suggestions?
Update : cat's condition has stabilized and she is eating and drinking properly. We've been giving her antibiotics and anti-inflammatories but after a few days we noticed clear liquid coming out from her ears. This happened when she was sick (and medicating) last year but i just wanted to know if this was normal (eg side effect of the meds) or if its something to worry about.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clear discharge usually means an inner ear infection. The antibiotic should clear this up, but if not, research or call your vet and ask about colloidal silver.