ferals peeing in their cozy cat beds?!

wildgrace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're below freezing out here right now and I put out 2 weatherproofed carriers lined with cardboard and straw. They've been out there for a couple months now and I don't ever see kitties using them, but i stuck my hand in one today and it smells like pee!

Do I need to change their bedding or did someone just mark his territory so nobody else will use it? Is this a sign they are rejecting my carriers or are they rejecting them *because* the bedding is marked? Will nobody use it now that it smells like pee?

It's kind of a pain working on their beds and I don't want to change it out if they're just going to pee all over it again! Anyway, input appreciated.

wildgrace

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
they are marking it and claiming it as theirs to keep others out of their hidey hole. I always use straw or hay and switch it out about every 3 days for bedding so you are on the right track. You can also buy a cheap box of disposable dipers and line underneath the straw to catch most of the urine.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure what is cheaper - disposable diapers or puppy pads. I bought a box of 30 puppy pads for $5 at Target. They spread out flatter than diapers and absorb a lot of liquid. Agree with changing out the straw and that they are marking their territory.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The other answer you're looking for is yes - no one will use it now that it is marked. So changing the hay or straw frequently is essential. It also helps avoid flea and other pest problems in warmer months.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also spray down the house with an enzymatic spray, though I don't know whether that will work in freezing temps. I have found that this behavior stops several weeks after they have been neutered. Have you been able to trap and neuter these ferals yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wildgrace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nobody's been fixed in that group yet. They are 4 calicos and possibly one tabby I've seen occasionally. I figured my chances of things being sprayed were low but I was wrong! P.U.!

Thanks for everybody's input. I changed the bedding.

wg