Ferals Old And New

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so defeated. I have two feeders on my small block and I am the only one who fixes the cats. I have asked them to stop leaving food out (they are both on main streets), so that this issue stops, but it continues. I have fixed over 15 cats in the past 8 years (the last 4 the worst of this). I cannot keep this up. I am broke, defeated, and tired. I cannot go anywhere. I mistakenly built a heated cathouse thinking that ferals don't stick around (and would only use it in the worst of weather), and had had 3 living permanently there. Two more have stayed and now there are more. How can I make it stop. Now a new one came and it is chasing away the resident cats. How can I stop him/her. I have to trap it, but I usually wait for a little warmer weather (50's). Any suggestions how to scare the new cat away or to stop it from bullying the others? I don't understand how they don't have feral cat sanctuaries. All of these places only want socialized cats to adopt out. Thanks for any advice.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel you! since there are neighbors that like to feed cats, can you ask for their help? You need help and hopefully someone can help you with resources, but in the long run I think your neighbors are going to be the daily help you need.
You guys need to band together!
There are ways of getting cats moved down for feeding.
maybe they can get a cat house too!
Hopefully somebody will come along and give you more info!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. Once you start feeding feral/stray cats, it usually will attract more cats. If your neighbors are feeding the cats and not doing TNR that is completely irresponsible. It is only making the cats healthier so they can continue to breed. Spaying and neutering is a must for these cats.

Are there any rescue organizations in your area that could assist you? They might be able to talk with the neighbors or help to do TNR on these cats.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know where you live but if neighbors are feeding, they might help. Other than that, there are lots of organizations the might offer some help. Start with the National Spay Alliance. Do a google search stating you city, county and state along with Spay neuter services and again do it with feral cat rescues. You should get some lists of groups that help. It’s really about contacting over and over again. We are coming up on kitten season but that also means there should be grant money available to help with fixing and rabies shots. I’ve searched many states for others and been fortunate enough to find some level of help in most areas. Your vet might help or others in the area. Call and ask, if they can’t ask for any contacts they may know of. The local animal shelter may know of contacts and groups as well. Humane societies too. If you exhaust these ideas, I’ll be glad to try to find some contacts for you. Don’t give up!:alright: I was in the same situation just a year ago and have gotten over a hundred spayed/ neutered and most adopted. I live on a very limited income and it was wearing me out too! My neighbors fed cats too. As for the cat running off others, get that one fixed . It’s very likely it is having hormones stirring. Getting it fixed is the likely solution.
You’re doing a marvelous job! Thank you for helping these cats! :rock:I’m sure others will be coming in with other tips too. Please keep us informed! :wave2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your help. I have tried even gently stating that the police can fine them if they are not fixed. They will not aide in fixing them. I will look for further resources. Glad I'm not alone, 100!!!