Feral With Eye Infection

Kallie kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have a small colony of feral cats and one that adopted me and a few that will let me get close to them and fewer that will let me touch them but not pick up one that will let me touch it has an eye infection that comes and goes anything i can do for him/her

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kallie kitty and welcome to the forum !

It's very likely that there are rescue organizations in your area. Most of these have access to veterinary care and, if you go and meet up with them, tell them what you're doing, then it's also likely that they'd be able to help.

If the infection you're seeing "comes and goes" it may be a very easy 'fix'.

Google exactly this: "cat rescue in (your town/city)" - keep us updated!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the infection gets worse, can you borrow or rent a Humane trap to get her to a vet? They would likely give her a long lasting antibiotic shot and they could also spay her.

If it comes and goes, she msy need an antibiotic I have helped feral cats with infections with Fish Mox, which can be purchased online without a prescription (it is Amoxicillon). You can google this to learn more about it. But trapping her and getting her to a vet would be best.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, trap her if you can, if not, get her an over the counter antibiotic from the vet and explain she is feral, then give it to her every day in a small amount of tuna. I ahve cleared up quite a few eye infections this way.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many vets won't prescribe antibiotics for a cat they haven't seen within a year. I's a law, at least in my area- they could lose their license. Getting her to a vet would be ideal. The only OTC antibiotics I know about in the USA is Fish Mox. If you decide to go this route because you're unable to trap her to get her to a vet, PM me for the link. Does the eye have puss in it, or drippy discharge? Can you get close enough with zoom on your cell phone camera to take a pic? Many vets will look at s picture if you email it to them, and will give their "unofficial" thoughts. Then at least you'd have an idea of how serious it is.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're very fortunate. The vets in my area won't do that, not even the one clinic I use for my feral cats. It's always worth a shot to ask, but Fish Mox is a godsend when prescribed antibiotics aren't posdible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kallie kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok Kallie is doing better eyes are all clear but now baby Jeff's eyes are starting to get crusty hes only 4 week's old can i give him fish mox

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't, it would be extremely hard to know the dose in one that tiny. Your kitten most likely has what is called, feline herpes, a virus that woukldn't be affected by an antibiotic anyway. It is EXTREMELY common in young kittens. Keep the eyes clean with a warm wash cloth wet with saline, and watch the discharge, if it turns from clear to cloudy, THEN it means tehre is a secondary bactrial infection going on and a eye ointment should be applied. This can even be wiped gently across the kitten's eyes until they get used to you messing with them, then pull the lower lid down until a little pocket forms. Put a ribbon of ointment there. This virus usually clears up on it's own in a couple of weeks, but may become concerning if it gets a secondary infection, it could then affect the kittens sight. Keeping the kitten warm, fed, and wiping teh eyes is important right now, all the luck!