Feral with croupy cough

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My feral has a croupy cough - has had it for some time. Anything I can do for her? Thanks. She has something of a "nest" but doesn't seem to want to go into an enclosed space. Working on getting a heating pad for her. Need an electrician to come out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just responded to your other thread (Water gun on stray cat -- okay?), but this girl needs to be trapped and treated. Until you can get that accomplished, get a thermal blanket - one that doesn't depend on electricity.
Here is an example, but hopefully you can find one in a nearby pet store.

HDP Thermal Cat Mat, Gray Animal Print - Chewy.com.

If there is a vet willing to work with you, you could ask about getting some meds for a URI to give her in her food. The person that offered to help you trap the neighbor's cat - do they have access to meds for this girl?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!! I don't know who to call on New Years Eve? Can this wait till Jan 2? She's had it a while, I had no idea until today I noticed it went on longer than just "clearing a bit of stuff from her throat" type of cough.

I could try calling my feral cat lady though I've already "bothered" her once today begging for advice on the neighbor cat. If need be I will try, she did give me some traveling vets. My feral has also become a living angel thanks to advice on this board but she has never been inside. I don't know if she can handle inside "anything".... I did set up 3 thermal blankets for her, a hand warmer at night she cuddles with (i can put some out 24/7). Will do that now. Is time urgent or do I have a couple of days. Worried now... She seems fine other than the cough.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely put warmers out for her 24/7. Making sure she stays well hydrated will assist her. If you are not sure if she is drinking water you can put out some canned chicken that is packaged in water. Read the ingredients to make sure there is no garlic or onion in the chicken. Dollar stores sell chicken breast in the can. Tuna in water would work too. Often the cats just drink the liquid and leave the meat! It must taste really good.
I really can’t advise on the urgency of her cough since I am not a vet. My vet does have someone on during holidays. You could try just calling, texting or emailing for advice. I would call. They would be the best ones to ask about a time frame. If you can “bother” the cat lady again, that would be an option.
Just for informational purposes, I work almost entirely with ferals. I bring them in and socialize them to whatever degree I can. Although not every cat has become a lap cat, most have. It takes time, patience and effort but there is a process you can follow to do that if you desire to bring her inside. Being outside is a risk due to many factors. The great thing about teaching the kitty to be inside is that you have easy access to them if you need to do something with them. Some people provide a catio to cats if they cannot bring them inside. If you decide to pursue this, there are lots of people here who can help you to go through the process. She sounds like a wonderful kitty! Thanks go out to you for being there for her and helping her! Please do keep us updated!