Feral way too smart for trap again :(

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know there's threads re this but I hate having to try to find a drop trap? He went in to vet late Dec. but yest wouldn't go in trap He circled it smelling food but no way. :( So maybe I need restrict food longer? I fed him Wed. afternoon late & thus on Thur. morn he wasn't hungry enough, I guess.

So, anyone w/ suggestions? I guess really hold back food enough tho he looks up to my 2nd flr balcony nitely. I feel sad as he looks pathetic, if I ignore. Ok, need support & backup as I'm really needing to get him back to vet for his finish of part 2 of his neuter -- that went awry in Dec. :(

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I have had to retrap for a second time, I often use a dog crate or large carrier. You can try feeding just outside of the carrier and move the food back each day. Are you able to get close to him so that you can then just close the door?

Have you tried catnip leading to the trap and inside the trap? What have you lined the trap with? I always liked to use puppy pee pads as they were softer and not as noisy as newspaper. Sometimes I would just use the cats regular food. I had one feral boy that refused all of my yummy treats, but once I put some of his dry food into the back of the trap, inside he went!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good ideas! :)

But I'll restrict food for a day or so prior. It should work as he's used to eating 2-3x/day. He'll be hungry & I think he'll bite, haha, no pun intended. ;)

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well he looks up at me for food am & pm yet but is now really wary even of his kitty Tube. Unsure he is using it nitely but there are 3 females around here & he has 1 pregnant. Unsure tho -- if he did it -- as sperm can't do well inside a recessed body cavity testicle as its too warm. This is an anatomy/physiology lesson for me, all this experience.;)

So, on Wed. will restrict food & if so, Thur. morn will be the next try. If so then 'll get him. But if no, I got til end of Apr. to get him but sooner is best as need time for testosterone hormones to drop & that takes few wks AFTER a neuter in males.

I will update on Wed. if not sooner. It is hard to see him & as he awaits food am & pm, & licks lips but to deny food ALL day Wed. will be MY test of strength. I may try KFC chicken too. I will just try my best. Either way, the Animal Control in AZ here will lend me a larger snare type trap as in gorillas/elephants type trap-- if ALL else fails.

But b4 that, wish me luck I get him the easy way as he was trapped in late Dec. this trap. It is the vets fault that he was NOT finished in completion back in Dec.:( This pains me & him, as we need go thru this madness again -- & pay 2x as she wants charge me yet again -- to complete the surgery. A ripoff as far as i see. But another story.:(

Ok, more as I know folks .:)

Last edited:

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, he's still out there day & nite. its warming at nite so all good. I may delay til nearer our move. i can then have him held & not released yet again. thus why I delay yet. TY tho for asking. lol

Gaba meds only in a pinch. Drop trap 1st, if needed may be the try. This box trap tho may never again work as no way he'll enter it nowadays. So, my choices are to wait it out til a month or 2 or try now. But if caught now, I'd need release again & then afraid he will leave the area as he'll be awful mad. I may need suggestions tho from you all re this yet. This is like cat n mouse only -- I AM THE CAT & he is the mouse, lol.

It is not over til it is finally done. ;)