Feral/stray

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was feeding one cat regularly as well as an occasional stray that would come by sometimes. Within past few weeks I've noticed the stray has come every might, my regular feral has disappeared and two new feral males come every night now for food. By new I mean I've never seen them before. They all come at different times. One of them has decided to pee right next to the food! How do I stop this?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was feeding one cat regularly as well as an occasional stray that would come by sometimes. Within past few weeks I've noticed the stray has come every might, my regular feral has disappeared and two new feral males come every night now for food. By new I mean I've never seen them before. They all come at different times. One of them has decided to pee right next to the food! How do I stop this?
I think you shall strike two flies at once:   TNR them, which is always a suitable advice. Especielly if you are feeding them regularly.

And also,  my suspicion him peeing next to food - which they usually dont do - is really his marking.  He wants to mark the food place as his territory.

True, also neuters can spray.  And defend their territory.  But the territorial behavior and spraying should lessen, and be much less smelly.

Good luck!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second Stefan's advice.  Getting these guys spayed or neutered is the best course.  They have probably chased your regular cat off by moving into his territory.  The one is marking territory - which is unusual but not unheard of.

TNR is the way to go here.  Depending on where you live, there are probably resources (rescues or shelters) that can help you.  They might be able to lend you traps or even people who can help trap.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I want to TNr especially the girl stray. I'm trying to find a home for her at my job. I don't have a car so TNr is very hard, again, must Find a coworker to help. We did TNr my main feral, he also had an abscess and that was why, he couldn't walk. The girl meows and is pretty friendly, easier to get domeone to take her. I'm also afraid she is pregnant, she's put on a lot of wait since summer and she is begging really bad for food and eating much more. Not that I have ever seen a pregnant cat, it's my guess. I'm new to TNr, since moving to this neighborhood, the cat problem is very obvious and I live at ground level, I see them all. Thanks again

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vibes you get the help you need.  It is amazing to me how irresponsible people are about cats.  I just don't get it.  Blessings on you for stepping up to the plate.

The female may have worms.  It really isn't the season for a pregnancy, although that isn't out of the question.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Discovered the new cat gang are living in a garage used for storage in my alley, not far down from where I live. I've been feeding them there, not sure how they feel about me leaving food in front of their garage, but don't know what else to do. There are 3, a long hair I have seen before in the neighborhood, and I think she (looks like a calico, except she is solid black and orange/red mostly on top, with white paws, belly). In the dark she looked to me like a large male. Pretty sure I've seen her several times but was not sure she was same cat. Kind of think she is a lost pet who hooked up with these other two and now she is scared. I say this because could have sworn  saw her just hanging around looking fearless in summer (couple times on way to work) but now she is all dirty and looks scared. The other is a blonde cat, that is very scared of people, much worse than other two, not sure male or female. I've seen this cat maybe only once out my window, and my looking scared it away. The most important cat seems like the ringleader, the one who was bringing the gang to me. He or she is the tabby in the pic, peeking out at me from the garage. This cat is like my old regular feral (his name is Stu). He even has his own waiting spot, like Stu did, in a different place. All 3 of these cats are always in or around this garage, seen them all go in there. The Tabby in the pic, is almost always hanging around in the alley or my house, always see him now.

The little black stray, not sure what to do with her, now that I got the alley cat gang a little more under control, she is able to eat food I leave out for her. Trouble is I rarely see her. She is also terrified of being inside, got her in my back porch area. She is one of these cats where if you shut them in the freak!!!! She is ravenous when I see her though, eats a ton. She has really filled out all over. I'm still not sure,  know she had kittens in summer, and someone may have taken them, she left them on a porch behind a locked fence. To me, she acts like she is in a huge hurry to eat, like she has kittens somewhere. How do I know though? @Ondine  I don't know anything about worms, that's scary. Makes me worry about letting my cats play outside in my back area (under close supervision). They love it so though, really, I'm fairly certain all cats can use a bit of fresh air, especially when shut up in the winter. Off to look up worms......Thanx

Last edited: