Feral stray or abandoned kitten?

sjbuggs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A quick trip to a grocery store yesterday turned several hour effort to rescue a kitten hiding and crying underneath an Amazon storage locker outside the store. Based on how low the lip around it was (2-2.5" high) and how very open/busy that area is otherwise, it clearly was not left there by a mother. The kitten had to squeeze to get out. I wasn't planning on adding a third but wifey vetoed otherwise which I figured would happen when I recruited her to go back with me to help save her.

The ER Vet has put her at around 4 weeks old (and other than a bit of dehydration/underweight seemingly healthy). This is by far the youngest cat we've had. Already was weaned and has figured out how litterboxes work.

Once the immediate shock of the days events wore off, she's super relaxed around humans. Falling asleep in your lap 4 hours after being extracted chill, receptive the affection, etc.

tl;dr version - Would a 4 wk old stray kitten be so mentally flexible to be relaxed around humans naturally, or is this a sign of an animal that was socialized already and thus likely was dumped in a shopping center by some poor excuse for a human?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think 4 week olds are so tightly tethered to their mom that they dont have well developed danger reflexes yet. Fight or flight is pretty meaningless when your a true baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sjbuggs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think 4 week olds are so tightly tethered to their mom that they dont have well developed danger reflexes yet. Fight or flight is pretty meaningless when your a true baby.
Alright, that's a good point. The last time we had anything kitten like was almost 20 years ago, and even those were 3 month olds that were certainly adept at hiding initially.

When she was under the locker she did try to scurry away from our efforts but the towels we brought to fill the gaps kept her contained. She was showing some flight instinct there but looking back (especially after seeing how fast she can move) I'd call it half-hearted then and quickly ignored once the cans of food came into play. Like object permanence went out the window at the first wiff of Mariners Feast.

Once she got loose at home she initially was quite determined to find a place to hide but didn't have much time there before we opted to get her checked out at the vet. Since then, completely relaxed and loudly purring at the drop of a hat.

I still suspect she was dumped as the area around the store would've had much better options for a nest than the store itself and it'd be a long trek for a kitten to get from any of those to where she was but doesn't sound like personality would be evidence of that.

sjbuggs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with ArtNJ that at four weeks the kitten probably doesn't have the fear reflexes and older kitten would have if they weren't socialized. Thank goodness you came along. Thank you for saving this baby.
Indeed, I normally don't even go to that particular store but I had another stop that made it make sense. So since kitten got Lucky, my wife picked that name. It fits even if it was a Safeway.

Thanks both to you and ArtNJ for your thoughts on this.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, thank you for saving Lucky's life.

There are so many possibilities for how she ended up there. If you're like me, you'll spend the rest of your life thinking about it. I find myself enraged when I think about my guys being abandoned. (All of mine were found outside.)

I have one, now five, that I'm pretty sure was put out by his feral mom. I found him near the colony, and he was very sick. Mother animals will sometimes abandon sick babies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And feral life being what it is, sometimes Mama just...doesn't come home. But Lucky is lucky, and has you. At her age, I'd consider mixing a bit of KMR powder in with her food. The extra nutrition can't do her a bit of harm, and may keep her growing well. My girl came to me in an emergency situation at 5 weeks, and I bottle-fed as I weaned her. Your baby probably won't want a bottle, so just mix the powder in.

sjbuggs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We need a picture :) Sounds like all three of you are Lucky. Enjoy
Just got back from the vet after they called with an opening. FeLV and FIV tests both negative and no issues (phew) aside from the expected parasites.

They're pegging her more as an underweight 5-6 wk old than 4 if that changes the behavioral math any.

Either way, I'll upload a pic or two probably tomorrow.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think it does as her story mirrors Jamie's exactly. With the exception of he was not under an Amazon container, but in my neighbor's wood pile (having nothing to do with her at all), his reactions were all the same and he ended up being about 4-6 weeks old when I got him to the vet. He was sick and tiny, but terrified of me when I first heard his tiny meow and made a valiant dart across the yard to my neighbor's vine on her wall where he hid. No trap needed, I grabbed him and within a few minutes he was sleeping on my chest. My guess is that he was dumped as I know who is around here (cat wise) since I do TNR. Pic is a few weeks after his rescue.
babyjamie2.JPG

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, Lordy. If Jamie were any cuter, he'd be illegal in several states!

Good to hear that Lucky has come through with no major issues! Can't wait to see pictures of her!