Feral Socialization School in session!

LoggedOff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well...here we are, locked in the bathroom on day one of socialization school. We grabbed this 4-year old feral girl off the euthanasia list last year and she's been doing an amazing job keeping the rats out of our shop, and the property in check. She no longer hides, isn't aggressive or mean, but still won't get near us. We had to trap her 2 nights ago so we could get her to the vet for an annual visit. For months I've wrestled with the idea of bringing her in to work on some socialization. Part of me didn't want to because she is so happy outside and has gotten very comfortable. But, our big problem is she will only sleep in the shop during the day, and our cameras see her all over the property at night. We definitely have an increase in the bobcat and coyote activity lately and I'm fearful her all-night adventures out are not going to end well eventually.

But, now that the caterwauling and climbing the walls has stopped, we started working on those trust issues. Fourth session today she accepted the feather wand petting her head so my hopes are high!

IMG_20200529_115000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a happy happy story. Thank you for helping this sweet little one. She is precious. Does she have a name?

I have brought quite a few feral cat inside. The last 3 were 8, 6 and 4 years of age. All had lived on my deck and been TNR'd. I moved so I brought them with me and made them all inside only. I have 2 other former ferals and another rescue kitty as well. A few others have crossed over throughout the years.

Welcome to TCS.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LoggedOff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a happy happy story. Thank you for helping this sweet little one. She is precious. Does she have a name?

I have brought quite a few feral cat inside. The last 3 were 8, 6 and 4 years of age. All had lived on my deck and been TNR'd. I moved so I brought them with me and made them all inside only. I have 2 other former ferals and another rescue kitty as well. A few others have crossed over throughout the years.

Welcome to TCS.
Thanks... Her name is Olive. My 12 year old gave her that name as it is the color of her eyes. Well...when her pupils aren't fully dilated
because of her disdain for me right now!

It sounds like you have quite a bit of experience bringing ferals inside! It was never really our plan with her, but it's a safety concern. Plus, the past few months she has started doing some things that made me think she wants a relationship with us. Down the road we're hoping to get to a good balance of her being an in & out cat. I don't want to miss her outside "services" I got before. She cleaned up a rat infestation we had in our shop building, and the rabbits learned quick our garden has security.