Feral scratched me

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried looking this up here... After 13 years one finally Tried and succeeded.
I bled a few seconds later. Once i got inside i washed with soap and applied Neosporin. It hasn't bled again.
He got all his shots about a month ago..... Do i need to worry?
Im hurt he did that.. Ill have to wear winter gloves in summer.
All i was doing was putting his food in the box!!!! I thought hed be less aggressive after neutering as well!

Jean Howard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think if he's been vaccinated and you washed it should be okay but do keep an eye on it in the next few days. If there are any symptoms, do get it checked out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The linchpin on this is that if the cat has had shots, especially rabies, you are fine with cleaning and observing. If he has not had rabies, you need to find out what the vectors are in your area and check the PHD website.

When you say scratch, I assume that you mean with a claw. If it was with teeth, there is a danger of infection but Neosporin should keep it in check. If it looks bad or hurts, call the dr for some antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yes he got me with his claw and made a tiny hole actually. But it didn't bleed after I washed. It was sore and slightly swollen this morning. Fine now... 8 hours later. What I'm mostly worried about is tetanus.... He got the usual shots for ferals so not sure they would prevent tetanus or not. Thanks again!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Actually they won't, if that is your concern. I was bitten severely by a stray a couple of months ago, my fault entirely, and my dr immediately gave me a tetanus shot since mine was expired. It is not a bad idea to be up on tetanus anyway....not saying you are going to get it.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive been wearing gloves and he got me again today. My concern is... is this our relationship now? He came out of nowhere and was never scared of me - a very friendly feral. Now if I didnt know he had his rabies shot..id think he had rabies. Shouldnt he not be aggressive after neutering?? IS there anything I can do to stop these attacks? thanks
I didnt get shot since dr said it wasnt deep.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The feral cat that I feed daily who lives at some apartments in the area is unpredictable. We have gone from no contact to allowing petting and scratching, but with gloves on at all times. She will turn and try to scratch or lightly bite though. To me, ferals remain unpredictable and we have to factor that into their care. I don't think it means that the cat does not like you.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The feral cat that I feed daily who lives at some apartments in the area is unpredictable. We have gone from no contact to allowing petting and scratching, but with gloves on at all times. She will turn and try to scratch or lightly bite though. To me, ferals remain unpredictable and we have to factor that into their care. I don't think it means that the cat does not like you.
Thanks.. ive been feeding 13 years, 20something cats and this is first time one EVER was aggressive. I suppose Ive been very lucky. :) It's just who he is i guess. Weird, that he'd be the last one to show up. (hopefully)