Feral Scared, Jumpy

peacesad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
99F1F1E3-8A5A-4A09-9C25-FDBA0EDFF890.jpeg
I wonder if anyone else has seen this behavior or have any ideas what to do for a feral cat.

We’ve had five feral cats for around 4 years and raised them from kittens. They are all outside cats but have been coming in more and more. We also ....... have pesky raccoons that won’t go away (cat food on the porch doesn’t help) which had about 4 babies a month or so ago. I hate these raccoons.

One feral male has always been the “fearless” guy and so content and happy. But about a week ago, he started getting jumpy. He will scamper real fast and he kept going up on the railing outside to lay. One day he was missing all day and came back the next day and had lost weight.

Ever since, he hardly will leave the house. He takes off and runs fast from one room to another. He will sometimes look behind him and then dart. He keeps cleaning his fur constantly. He likes to be up off the ground.

Do you think the raccoons have caused this? This behavior isn’t in the other 4 feral, except for occasionally the friendliest one has started the similar jumping like 3 feet as if something is after it. But her behavior is no where near as bad as the fearless male.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, raccoons were my first thought. A large male might have entered the territory. I have raccoons and several years ago, a large male was attacking a mom and babies (the vet said that the males kill the babies so they can then breed the mom and she will raise his young instead) and when I tried to break it up, he came at me & I had to whack him with a baseball bat. After that, the mom brought the babies out much earlier, while it was still daylight. Since then, I have had 3 cats attacked by raccoons. One cat had wounds that wouldn't heal despite 3 different antibiotics and 2 prescription creams - coconut oil worked,though, with healing starting overnight. My last cat to be attacked had her leg mangled and broken; the vet wanted to remove it but I opted for splinting and confinement for the winter in a back room - the kitty has made a complete recovery and is now an inside/outside cat. Another time, a raccoon mom and babies were attacking one of my blind cats and I drove them off with the broom - not much gratitude for saving her earlier batch from the male (that was their one and only attack).
My best recommendation is night patrols with a spotlight and carry a sturdy weapon. I have heard some people have no trouble with raccoons but in my area, they are large and more brown. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.
As for your cats, I would let him stay inside and try to distract him with treats and play. With my broken-legged cat, Silver, I taught her tricks ("tail whips" and "circles") to rebuild her confidence; it has worked quite well but she did not feel comfortable outside for about 7 months!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peacesad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info. It really helps to hear others experiences. I think you’re right and theses coons have him scared. I’m going to see if there is anyone who can trap and release these coons without catching the cats. And it’s got to be low cost.

Raccoons are the cutest most annoying creatures. I hate their tempers.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just discovered Quiet Moments Cat Treats
I have a fearful Feral and it is helping her.
the ingredients are:
Quiet Moments® Cat Soft Chew is for use in cats over the age of 12 weeks. Our unique blend of thiamine and L-tryptophan help reduce stress and tension. Ginger supports sensitive stomachs which is especially important when traveling. While melatonin helps to promote rest and relaxation.

I'm pretty sure it's helping with her urinary problem that is stress induced also.
The L-tryptopha is suppose to reduce crystals.
I am in the process of trying formulas for her, but thought this would be something you could try.
If anyone knows of any issues with these ingredients I would be interested.
Couldn't find any issues with these online.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add, I put the cat treat in her food, it breaks up really easy.
she wasn't eating the treat by itself.
Oh and I only put 1 treat in her food, but the dose is 2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peacesad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe I’ll try those chews. Thank you for the idea!!!