‘Feral’ Momma cat and kitten in backyard

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you cleaned the spot well with an enzyme cleaner? He may be smelling his urine and that's why he's attracted to the spot.

You could try putting some of his poops in the box, maybe?

Charlie is 5 weeks old and knew to use the box right away, even though he had never seen one before so part of me thinks it's instinctive and that scent might be part of the issue here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I triple mopped that corner area he goes in over a two hour period but he still went back there and did his business there again anyway. Picked up his poop with a wipe and put it in the main litterbox to see if that would help. He watched his older sister use the litterbox, and for extra precaution I even made a tiny litter box out of an old small box I had laying around and placed it in the area he was fixating on. Here’s hopes, now I’m finally going to bed. Night.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I triple mopped that corner area he goes in over a two hour period but he still went back there and did his business there again anyway. Picked up his poop with a wipe and put it in the main litterbox to see if that would help. He watched his older sister use the litterbox, and for extra precaution I even made a tiny litter box out of an old small box I had laying around and placed it in the area he was fixating on. Here’s hopes, now I’m finally going to bed. Night.
Cat urine is strong. If you're not cleaning with an enzyme cleaner, he'll still be able to smell it, even if you use bleach. Look for urine begone, etc, or search enzyme cleaners online to spray the spot down with and hopefully that'll help! If it's a scent issue, he'll just go there again once the box is removed.

Good luck!! rest well

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I put a litterbox in that corner. It worked for a bit, but now little Edgelord has managed to pee on the couches three times now. Now I’m just confused for the little guy.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now I’m terrified everytime he’s on the couch.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he's on the couch, every hour or so put him down near the litter box or even just on the floor. He may not understand how to get off the couch yet.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he's on the couch, every hour or so put him down near the litter box or even just on the floor. He may not understand how to get off the couch yet.
He definitely knows how to get off by himself. I’ve seen him jump off from the front and the back of the couch when I put him up there and he doesn’t want to be there. He literally jumps up on the couches just to pee there I think. Also, now It’s four times.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everytime I put him in the litterbox he doesn’t recognize it or anything he just jumps out and runs away. He really doesn’t like me holding him too long either to take him there.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd chime in with a few thoughts based on my experience with cats and litter boxes! I have had two different cats choose to pee elsewhere. For one, it was on the dining room area rug. I cleaned the rug with an enzyme cleaner, but then I also tried a few different deterrents, some of which worked a bit. I put pieces of lemon in small dishes around the area since cats usually don't like the smell of citrus. I put aluminum foil on the rug so it would crinkle when the cat walked on it. I put a few of the double-sided sticky tape things that you use to deter scratching on furniture. What really was the turning point for this cat was when we switched to Cat Attract litter. It was like magic! It is an expensive litter but has been worth every penny! You can also just sprinkle it on top of your regular litter if you want to try it.

The second cat was trickier and was peeing on the bed, even overnight when we were sleeping in it! We got a good waterproof mattress pad and that saved some extra work with laundry. I also put waterproof covers from the SureFit company on the living room couch and chair just to be safe. This cat ended up at the vet and needed some medicine which we were able to get as a transdermal and put on the tip of her ear once a day. It was amitriptyline which is for anxiety and spraying and "inappropriate elimination behaviors." I am sure that your little kitten would NOT need this medicine, but I just thought I'd mention it.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Everytime I put him in the litterbox he doesn’t recognize it or anything he just jumps out and runs away. He really doesn’t like me holding him too long either to take him there.
You have to get rid of the smell or they will return.