Feral Mom

carol ryan anthony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
have a feral female in my yard for over a month. I found a group to TNR and that is all done. She was spayed but they said she is "heavily lactating". Now does that mean anything other than just full??? Next question, is, can I somehow find the kittens/? she still comes 2-3 times a day to eat and sits in the yard for a few hours. I will try to trap them and her again, but I don't know how old they are or anything. Also , how far away from here would the be?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did this and discovered the kittens, then about six weeks old, in the woods behind my house. Once you locate the kittens, here's what I did:
I got a large dog crate, tied a length of twine to the door, looped it through the top of the crate and walked some distance away with the other end.

Put a plate of food at the back of the trap and wait, holding the end of the twine. You may not have to hide but it would be best if you do. When the kittens go into the crate to eat, gently pull the door closed. Mine were so engrossed in eating, they didn't even realize they were trapped. Once I got the door secured, I had a friend help me carry the entire crate into our sun room, where I was able to foster them.

Hopefully, you find them soon. Look under sheds, under bushes and in other hiding places.