Feral mom with possible newborns

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This past weekend my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] and I decided to see if there were any feral cats in the area. We put some smelly wet food out turned off the outside light and hid in the pool. Sure enough about 20 minutes later a cat jumps the fence. It was an orange tabby as far as I could tell from the moon light. After a bit my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] sneezed and he took off really quick so I know he is skittish of humans. We waited a bit longer and another dark tabby moved in. She let us get pretty close to her and even walked toward us to get a drink. I believe she was female because I heard the faint sound of kittens calling from behind the neighborâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s garage and she took off. I believe with a little coaxing we could trap her but I wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to take her without the kittens as they sounded very young…maybe even too young to walk. Our neighbors arenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t exactly on a talking basis with us and we have a 6ft tall wood fence. Should we wait a few weeks until we see the babies walking to try and trap them then? Any advice?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One possibility I think about is you proceed to give food to the mama. With a little luck you will soon become quite friendly as she already is either a little tame - or desperate for food...
Prepare also a sheltered nice place in your garden.

With a little bit luck the momcat will bring her family to this new nice place with these wellbehaving docile humans, plenty of food and the dogs chased away...

Why, it isnt impossible she will accept to came in to you with her family, or in any case, when you catch her and she cooled down and stressed down, will choose to stay, not even trying to escape.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most important thing is to NOT go looking for the nest - mom WILL move them.

The best thing to do is to continue putting food out regularly. Best to not try to approach any of the cats that come to feed. If they get used to your presence, so much the better. But to earn their trust it is best to do nothing.

If mom comes to trust that food will be there, she will likely bring the kitties there to eat. That's how it worked with us.

If the kitties start showing up and you do plan to trap them, start putting the food out in the trap with the trap NOT set.

You'll find very helpful info in the links here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...threadid=11403

If you want to find an organization that can help, or maybe lend you a trap, you can use this link: http://www.pets911.com/organizations/organizations.php

And if you need to find low-cost spay/neuter services, the link in my signature line can help with that.

The best thing - read as much as you can! www.alleycat.org, www.bestfriends.org, and www.straypetadvocacy.org all have great resources for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, we have stocked up on some kitten wet food. We are going to go with the flow and see what happens. She has been showing up every night so far. *fingers crossed*

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
good luck with your endeavor, but I just had to comment on the mental image i got from your post... you and your hubby in the pool with your noses hanging over the edge, peering into the darkness!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

good luck with your endeavor, but I just had to comment on the mental image i got from your post... you and your hubby in the pool with your noses hanging over the edge, peering into the darkness!

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by Stormysmom

This past weekend my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] and I decided to see if there were any feral cats in the area. We put some smelly wet food out turned off the outside light and hid in the pool. Sure enough about 20 minutes later a cat jumps the fence. It was an orange tabby as far as I could tell from the moon light. After a bit my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] sneezed and he took off really quick so I know he is skittish of humans. We waited a bit longer and another dark tabby moved in. She let us get pretty close to her and even walked toward us to get a drink. I believe she was female because I heard the faint sound of kittens calling from behind the neighborâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s garage and she took off. I believe with a little coaxing we could trap her but I wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to take her without the kittens as they sounded very young…maybe even too young to walk. Our neighbors arenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t exactly on a talking basis with us and we have a 6ft tall wood fence. Should we wait a few weeks until we see the babies walking to try and trap them then? Any advice?
What wonderful people you and your Fiance are to open your hearts to ferals

I didn't go looking for my feral colony,I stumbled across them....literally
.In fact, before they found me,I thought a feral was a 'breed' of cat

I can't offer any more advice than whats already been said,but I wish you all the very best in trying to help these kitties and I know you will succeed in helping them

All I would say though is not to mention anything to your neighbour

Please keep us updated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys

I just wanted to update. The momma cat hasn't shown up in a couple of days now that I have seen. She may be eating when we are not there because the food is always gone. I think she may have moved her nest though because I havent heard any little meows the past few nights.

We did find out that there is a tiny kitten who has been living under the back stairs though. He looks like he may be about two to three months old. Just big enough to be on his own. Such a handsome little fella. He is getting used to us bringing food out and shows up at the same time every night. He apeared before we even backed away from the food yesterday evening so I believe we are starting to win his trust... or at least win over his/her tummy. Jesse said that if I can get him where he trusts us then he will agree to vet him and possibly keep him as an outdoor kittie since he has made a home out of our stairs and all already. I dont know if its a boy or a girl at this point but since we have a male kitten I keep calling it a boy by habit. lol If its a girl ill bet shes upset with me for calling her a handsome little gentlemen.