Feral Mom and Social Kitten

Casadecats2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!.I have adopted a Momma and Kitten from a rescue here in FL. The Mom was a Feral. The kitten is fine-doing fantastic socially!! Really having a great time with her. I have had them since May 13th. The Momma is having a tough time adjusting. Spends most of her time under the end of my bed, just behind the bed skirt, because everything else is blocking her from actually getting under the bed. I keep the bed skirt lifted so I can see her and she can see me. She comes out every night, once I go to bed, and eats, uses the litter box and roams the house. Literally within 5 minutes of me turning off the light, I can watch her, via a camera in the living room, come out and do her thing. She is not very keen with her kitten-the baby wants nothing more than to get close to her and play with her but anytime she tries, Momma hisses, growls and sometimes lashes out at the baby. For this reason, I don't leave them out together if I am not home. The kitten is still tiny and I don't want any harm to come to her. But when I'm home they are able to interact but Mom isn't interested. My concern is, will she start to warm up to her kitten again? I know I need to be patient in getting her to warm up to me and I feel like I'm doing all the right things. But I'm mostly concerned about the bond between the 2 of them. I did just read something that said I should put her in a room all by herself but I feel separating them like that would make putting them together harder in the long run.

Any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Than you!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I take it that the kitten was weaned before you adopted both of them? I also assume the mama has been spayed? If this cat is truly a feral, or even a semi-feral or stray, it can still take a long time for her to come around. One month is really nothing in terms of how long the adaptation process might take - even for previously well domesticated cats.

Eventually, the mama might adapt to having the kitten around. It is more than likely that the mama doesn't necessarily even acknowledge that the kitten is hers anymore. I guess that this juncture, continue what you are doing with regard to exposing mama and kitten to each other. - as opposed to separating them entirely. In the long run, it might actually help once the mama is more settled in her new home. Maybe there are some helpful tips in these TCS articles?
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited: