Feral male kitten 6 weeks old with digestive problems, constant green diarrhea

carmunckm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I honestly just need some mental support on this.
At the back street of my home, there are 3 mother cats that gave birth to a litter of 7 kittens. I have been feeding the mother cats for the past month or so with cat food. Last week and a half, some of the kittens started eating wet food, and I would spoon-feed them. Two days ago, while spoon feeding one of the orange male kittens, I noticed his crotch area was inflamed. So I monitored him, he was eating and getting diarrhea every time he finishes a spoonful of wet food. I got concerned, but figure to continue monitoring him.
This morning, while feeding the feral cats and kittens, I noticed this specific orange male kitten did not come for breakfast. I found it strange as he is usually the first kitten to arrive at my doorstep for food. So I went looking for him, and he was sleeping in a corner and looked really lethargic. So I decided that I am bringing him to the vet.
After bringing him to the vet, the doctor said his stomach has some hard stools and is not moving well. Has no fever, which is good news. He has been prescribed antibiotics and some meds for bloating. I decided that I would foster him for a week until his medication is finished before releasing him back to his mother. at least I thought it was going to be that easy.
After his first dose of antibiotics, he has no appetite, and he looks so lethargic and meows like he is crying at times. I feel so heartbroken. I am having so much mixed feelings, I know he is yearning for his mom, but at the same time, I can't leave him out on the streets and not finish his medication. Can someone advise me on this? Should I just stay patient? and just keep offering him food and water, and leave him to get accustomed? Any tips on what I should do? anyone with similar experiences?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carmunckm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, the doctor gave the kitten deworm. In case anyone wonders.

Naturalgal99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I honestly just need some mental support on this.
At the back street of my home, there are 3 mother cats that gave birth to a litter of 7 kittens. I have been feeding the mother cats for the past month or so with cat food. Last week and a half, some of the kittens started eating wet food, and I would spoon-feed them. Two days ago, while spoon feeding one of the orange male kittens, I noticed his crotch area was inflamed. So I monitored him, he was eating and getting diarrhea every time he finishes a spoonful of wet food. I got concerned, but figure to continue monitoring him.
This morning, while feeding the feral cats and kittens, I noticed this specific orange male kitten did not come for breakfast. I found it strange as he is usually the first kitten to arrive at my doorstep for food. So I went looking for him, and he was sleeping in a corner and looked really lethargic. So I decided that I am bringing him to the vet.
After bringing him to the vet, the doctor said his stomach has some hard stools and is not moving well. Has no fever, which is good news. He has been prescribed antibiotics and some meds for bloating. I decided that I would foster him for a week until his medication is finished before releasing him back to his mother. at least I thought it was going to be that easy.
After his first dose of antibiotics, he has no appetite, and he looks so lethargic and meows like he is crying at times. I feel so heartbroken. I am having so much mixed feelings, I know he is yearning for his mom, but at the same time, I can't leave him out on the streets and not finish his medication. Can someone advise me on this? Should I just stay patient? and just keep offering him food and water, and leave him to get accustomed? Any tips on what I should do? anyone with similar experiences?
Hi, I am a new member here but for what it's worth, I have been an IWRC wildlife rehabilitator for almost 30 yrs and have raised, rehabilitated and released more sick, injured, orphaned baby mammals than I can count. If it were me, I would provide supportive care and follow the protocol of any emergency intake. I would first quarantine the kitten in an area that is away from any other animals in the house, preferably quiet. I would set the baby up in a box of some sort, plastic bins work great, with a heating pad, set on low, placed on the outside, bottom 1/2 of the bin. When baby mammals are ill or stressed, they often have trouble maintaining their own temperature and offering a warm spot with the ability to move off of it if he gets too warm is a very helpful start. My next concern would be maintaining hydration. They can very quickly be dehydrated when they are under stress, especially if they have diarrhea. Try to hydrate with pedialyte because it will provide the proper electrolytes to aid in digestion and balance. You can use a 1 or 2 cc syringe to offer it to the kitten but be careful not to give too much too fast. Take your time and go slow so as not to accidentally aspirated the baby. If he won't drink it, try adding 1/4 kitten milk replacer to 3/4 pedialyte and make sure to warm it. You can draw the mixture up into the syringe and then place the syringe in a small cup.of hot tap water for a min or so and it will be nice and warm. Also, if the kitten is on antibiotics, a product called benebac should be given to the kitten to aid in the diarrhea. The antibiotic will kill not just the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria that is essential for healthy digestion, especially for you sensitive systems like a kitten. You need to replace the gut flora that the medication destroys. Benebac is available at most any drug store, Walgreens, cvs etc. If you cannot get it then you can get some yogurt, preferably Activia with prebiotic or plain Greek full fat yogurt and try to get some into him but benebac is best. Also, if you want to check for dehydration you can pinch the kittens skin on his back or shoulder, if it does not snap back immediately, if it kinda takes a second or two for the skin to unpinch, that baby is dehydrated and needs you to get fluids into him, be patient and don't put him on his back, try to administer with the kitten in as natural a feeding/nursing position as possible. It may take several tries before he gets the hang of the syringe but be diligent, don't be afraid to put the syringe into his mouth and offer just a little taste and build up from there. Keep it up every two hours until he is fully hydrated. Lastly, as much quiet rest as possible and be patient. If you keep fluids in him and replace the gut flora, the diarrhea should go away. Also, keep inind that a dehydrated animal will not eat. You must hydrate first. I hope this helps, I hope I haven't been too long winded for my first day here and I'll say a prayer for you and the little guy. 🙏

Naturalgal99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am a new member here but for what it's worth, I have been an IWRC wildlife rehabilitator for almost 30 yrs and have raised, rehabilitated and released more sick, injured, orphaned baby mammals than I can count. If it were me, I would provide supportive care and follow the protocol of any emergency intake. I would first quarantine the kitten in an area that is away from any other animals in the house, preferably quiet. I would set the baby up in a box of some sort, plastic bins work great, with a heating pad, set on low, placed on the outside, bottom 1/2 of the bin. When baby mammals are ill or stressed, they often have trouble maintaining their own temperature and offering a warm spot with the ability to move off of it if he gets too warm is a very helpful start. My next concern would be maintaining hydration. They can very quickly be dehydrated when they are under stress, especially if they have diarrhea. Try to hydrate with pedialyte because it will provide the proper electrolytes to aid in digestion and balance. You can use a 1 or 2 cc syringe to offer it to the kitten but be careful not to give too much too fast. Take your time and go slow so as not to accidentally aspirated the baby. If he won't drink it, try adding 1/4 kitten milk replacer to 3/4 pedialyte and make sure to warm it. You can draw the mixture up into the syringe and then place the syringe in a small cup.of hot tap water for a min or so and it will be nice and warm. Also, if the kitten is on antibiotics, a product called benebac should be given to the kitten to aid in the diarrhea. The antibiotic will kill not just the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria that is essential for healthy digestion, especially for you sensitive systems like a kitten. You need to replace the gut flora that the medication destroys. Benebac is available at most any drug store, Walgreens, cvs etc. If you cannot get it then you can get some yogurt, preferably Activia with prebiotic or plain Greek full fat yogurt and try to get some into him but benebac is best. Also, if you want to check for dehydration you can pinch the kittens skin on his back or shoulder, if it does not snap back immediately, if it kinda takes a second or two for the skin to unpinch, that baby is dehydrated and needs you to get fluids into him, be patient and don't put him on his back, try to administer with the kitten in as natural a feeding/nursing position as possible. It may take several tries before he gets the hang of the syringe but be diligent, don't be afraid to put the syringe into his mouth and offer just a little taste and build up from there. Keep it up every two hours until he is fully hydrated. Lastly, as much quiet rest as possible and be patient. If you keep fluids in him and replace the gut flora, the diarrhea should go away. Also, keep inind that a dehydrated animal will not eat. You must hydrate first. I hope this helps, I hope I haven't been too long winded for my first day here and I'll say a prayer for you and the little guy. 🙏
And next time I will proof read before posting...
Please pardon the plethora of typos. Ugh...

carmunckm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you are amazing 🙏🏼 Thank you so so much for taking the time to reply me. You’re a kind soul and I am so grateful. I will do my best to follow your instructions.

carmunckm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you are amazing 🙏🏼 Thank you so so much for taking the time to reply me. You’re a kind soul and I am so grateful. I will do my best to follow your instructions.