Feral Male Cat Problem (for My New Feral Friend)

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody!
I'm posting a problem my friend is having, she is the one who TNR'd the cats on my street
and Feeds them too!

She has cats over at her house, and she now has a male cat causing a problem over there.
She is going to TNR him but does anybody have any suggestions on when a cat causes a problem in a colony?

The cat might be running off some of the cats.
I'm wondering if Jcatbird Jcatbird might know any solutions?
or anyone else that deals with colonies too!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan knows what she is talking about! Until he is neutered he is likely to continue doing that. He really needs to get caught and neutered. That is just natural behaviour and will happen with most adult males, especially if a female is in heat. The plus is that once neutered he might protect the others in the colony. I would get it done as quickly as possible. Are any females in heat? If so, they need to get spayed right away too. They could attract other males. He is probably chasing other male kitties because he sees them as competition for the lady cats. Neutering usually stops that as soon as the hormones have left his body. Sometimes it stops immediately after the neutering. Can your friend get him fixed right away?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she can get him as long as he will go in the trap.
She has TNR'd most of the cats, she has a difficult 1 or 2
I found some tips on how to trap difficult cats,
The Male is new, I will let her know about the TNR being urgent!
Thanks everybody!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is new then he is also trying to find a place in the colony. Poor guy. Probably looking for all the things that Feral or abandoned kitties need so desperately. Food, safety, love and shelter. Every living thing needs a place in the world. It’s hard to be the new guy. Getting him fixed is still really important. Keep us posted please. We’ll be wondering about him.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok she traps pretty regular so I'm sure she'll get him as soon as she can!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I trapped a mature and established male from the neighborhood over the summer. Never thought he would walk into a trap but fried chicken did it. He was previously very aggressive, had fathered at least 4 recent kittens, and had fight wounds all over him. He is now calm and plump with a lovely coat. Still very feral but keeps to himself.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like the male is hanging with a couple other cats now that have been spayed, the other kitties are back eating on schedule! They are doing a TNR in my town next Sunday and my friend is helping at the clinic. Hopefully she will get to take him with her!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks I suggested the KFC to her! I was reading about that!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have found it to be the most effective but if you cannot get the true brand KFC I have also had remarkable success with frozen fried chicken from the market, or any frozen version that has a lot of fat and breading on it.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a KFC here! and I read it should be original recipe not the crispy one!
A vet in our town is hosting a Feral Cat day, (not sure what you call it)
but People will bring their Ferals in for neutering this Sunday, she is hoping to bring her new male in and possibly the other hard to trap cats.
She had an issue with some neighbors who wanted to trap and take the cats to humane society, The problem got solved tho, the people called the humane society and they told them what she was doing is the only answer.
She had left letters/flyers to her neighbors and since she has gotten a call about another colony a few streets down, she is going to try and help them, she is amazing, she has such an even keel about her.