Need advice!!!

SueJenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I’ve never posted here but I really need to know I’m doing the right thing. I was feeding 2 kitties that were dropped off at a small store near my home for about 2 months. One of them was hit and killed week ago Saturday. Couldn’t stand the thought of the other one ending up the same way so my husband and I trapped the other male and he is in our large ‘cat room’ in our home, equipped with several hiding spots. It’s been a week and he is still hiding. Haven’t seen him but a couple times when we had to get him out from underneath a recliner. He is eating, drinking and is using the litter box. I work at a vet hospital so I know we have to get him checked for FIV, FeLv, vaccines etc. just want some advice on how to get him used to being around us and come out from hiding. Any advice??

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thank you so much for bringing the kitten home. So sorry about his sibling.

Lots of folks here have socialized feral cats, and will likely post with thoughts/advice from their personal experiences. I've no feral experience, myself, however TCS has several articles which may be helpful. Some are specific to ferals, some more general. Here are the links:

A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference | TheCatSite
Adopting A Stray Cat | TheCatSite
Handling Feral Cats – Cat Articles
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside | TheCatSite

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment | TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home | TheCatSite

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? | TheCatSite
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat | TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats | TheCatSite

Good luck with him. Keep us posted on his progress.

And do post a pic of him, when you can.
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He is eating, drinking and is using the litter box.
Thank you for rescuing this kitty :clapcat: but we are sad that the other did not make it:alright:

It is good that he's drinking, eating and using the litter box. It is normal for them to hide as the place he's in now is brand new to him. It's a new surrounding of new sights and sounds.

What you can do is place your clean unwashed, non perfumed garments in the cat room. This way, he'll be familiar with your scent and also if you can, use some clean towels and let him lay on it and after he had done that, place the towels around the room so that his scent is all around and that will boost his confidence.

If you can, plug up all hiding holes if you can and leave a cardboard box in there for him. You can place a towel with his scent in the box. It takes awhile before he knows it is safe to roam around the room.

Also keep speaking to him in a loving soft voice and sit on the floor and use a cat wand to play with him. And don't forget the most important thing is do slow eye blinking with him. Slow blink at him and look away slowly and this show that he is in command. Avoid direct eye contact for the moment.

The other thing is besides having him checked for FIV, FeLv and etc, remember to have him neutered when it is the right time.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and we'll try our best to answer them.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful that you saved him! I also think you need to block off hiding places that you can't get to and provide ones that will allow for a little interaction. This is my favorite guide: How to Socialize Very Shy or Fearful Cats

I don't think the cage is entirely necessary, but you can use the same techniques and adapt them to your environment.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't offer much, since you've already gotten great advice. But, I would add that if he has several hiding spots and one or two are 'safe' and offer even a tiny bit of minimal exposure, leave them be. You don't want to take them all away from him at once. The safer one(s) keep, and then add some places/boxes that you hope he will 'migrate' to - then you can block off all the other undesirable ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SueJenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thank you so much for bringing the kitten home. So sorry about his sibling.

Lots of folks here have socialized feral cats, and will likely post with thoughts/advice from their personal experiences. I've no feral experience, myself, however TCS has several articles which may be helpful. Some are specific to ferals, some more general. Here are the links:

A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference | TheCatSite
Adopting A Stray Cat | TheCatSite
Handling Feral Cats – Cat Articles
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside | TheCatSite

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment | TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home | TheCatSite

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? | TheCatSite
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat | TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats | TheCatSite

Good luck with him. Keep us posted on his progress.

And do post a pic of him, when you can.
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite
Thank you so much for the advice and articles ! Gotten so many ideas that will hopefully help him. We named him ‘Charlie’

SueJenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wonderful that you saved him! I also think you need to block off hiding places that you can't get to and provide ones that will allow for a little interaction. This is my favorite guide: How to Socialize Very Shy or Fearful Cats

I don't think the cage is entirely necessary, but you can use the same techniques and adapt them to your environment.
We’ve already made him a nice hiding spot that is more comfortable and safe than under the recliner!
Appreciate the link so much. Want him to not be so scared. Know it takes time but I hate it for him😢

SueJenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing this kitty :clapcat: but we are sad that the other did not make it:alright:

It is good that he's drinking, eating and using the litter box. It is normal for them to hide as the place he's in now is brand new to him. It's a new surrounding of new sights and sounds.

What you can do is place your clean unwashed, non perfumed garments in the cat room. This way, he'll be familiar with your scent and also if you can, use some clean towels and let him lay on it and after he had done that, place the towels around the room so that his scent is all around and that will boost his confidence.

If you can, plug up all hiding holes if you can and leave a cardboard box in there for him. You can place a towel with his scent in the box. It takes awhile before he knows it is safe to roam around the room.

Also keep speaking to him in a loving soft voice and sit on the floor and use a cat wand to play with him. And don't forget the most important thing is do slow eye blinking with him. Slow blink at him and look away slowly and this show that he is in command. Avoid direct eye contact for the moment.

The other thing is besides having him checked for FIV, FeLv and etc, remember to have him neutered when it is the right time.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and we'll try our best to answer them.
I appreciate your advice and encouragement! I will post a picture of ‘Charlie’ once I get one!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you are going trhough is completely normal. I have had several cats that took over a month to show themselves, it is almost sure that he has never been inside a house. Always talk to him when you bring his food, sit and read out loud so he gets used to your voice in his new situation. It WILL happen. You earn a cat's love, but when you do it is well worth the struggle!

SueJenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
First I wanna thank everyone who replied. All the advice was so helpful.
Charlie’ is finally coming out of hiding some 😊 !! He cries at the door when he knows it’s breakfast and this morning, he didn’t run and hide when I knocked on the door telling him I was coming in!! I was amazed! We’ve been going in and talking to him and letting him watch when we clean the litter box and bring his food in. His favorite hiding spot is the cut out hole in the cat tree. I put a blanket draped over the hole so I can uncover it when we’re in there. We try not to give him too much, if any, eye contact. My other kitty, Wally, is very interested in what’s behind the door!!
Thanks again everyone!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

SueJenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats great news, your patience has paid off and Charlie is starting to feel comfortable with you, good job done.
Charlie is still hiding when we go in his room so our next step is to stay in there longer with only one or two hiding spots (that we can still see each other out of) available to him. He’s getting too used to us coming in, talking to him some, and then leaving food. Is this a good idea? Don’t wanna spook him but maybe it’s time to come out of his comfort zone?

SueJenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So happy to hear Charlie is becoming more comfortable in his new home. :redheartpump:

Didn't realize you had another cat, though. Do be prepared for a slow introduction period for them. Here's some more TCS articles for you to read. These ones on cat introductions.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite
Ya we have Wally who is 9 months old. He’s neutered and fully vaccinated. Have to get Charlie tested, etc before the meeting. I’m sure I will need all the articles and advice from you guys once they’re ready to meet! This is Wally!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Charlie is still hiding when we go in his room so our next step is to stay in there longer with only one or two hiding spots (that we can still see each other out of) available to him. He’s getting too used to us coming in, talking to him some, and then leaving food. Is this a good idea? Don’t wanna spook him but maybe it’s time to come out of his comfort zone?
I think spending more time with him is a good plan. Get him used to you being around. Just sit on the floor and read or surf the net. Give him slow eye blinks when you look at him. Maybe scatter some yummy treats on the floor and see if you can entice him to come get them. I agree, you don't want to spook him, and it's still early days yet, so don't rush things.

Ya we have Wally who is 9 months old. He’s neutered and fully vaccinated. Have to get Charlie tested, etc before the meeting. I’m sure I will need all the articles and advice from you guys once they’re ready to meet! This is Wally!
Awww... Wally's a cutie pie. Bet he'll be glad to have a friend. But don't expect them to be best buds right away.