Feral kittens & mama - foster/socializing advice needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sandra-08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Black: Nala
Spotted white: Samson
Gray striped: Salomon (these boys are inseparable)
IMG_2380.jpeg
IMG_2562.jpeg
IMG_2579.jpeg
IMG_2582.jpeg
IMG_2622.png
IMG_4016.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, wonderful news! You've done so well with them. I'm sorry you had to go through spay-aborting the mother cat, but it was the best thing for her in the long term. I've been forced to do the same thing several times and it's always upsetting, but much easier than dealing with what can happen to kittens born outdoors.

:hugs:

All of my cats are feral rescues and there are a couple that I can't pick up, even after caring for them for more than 10 years. I took them to the vet for their spays/neuters and original vaccines by trapping them with a humane trap. Then when they've needed vet attention since then I've had to either trap them or corner them with a carrier and a thick blanket and shove them into the carrier that way. Not ideal, but if you need to get the boys fixed soon I suggest using a trap and then going back to socializing them after the surgery is done. It won't make them less trustful of you, cats forget about being trapped pretty quickly.

It seems like they're happy being petted already. Try this: Sit on the ground with a blanket over your legs. Encourage them to come to you with either treats or toys and let them sit on the blanket while you pet them or play with them. Pick up one corner of the blanket to pet them with (Do this from behind so they don't think you're going to cover their face with the blanket) Get them used to being petted with and partially covered with the blanket. From there get them used to being picked up in the blanket, just for a moment at first. I've always found that wrapping a cat in a blanket helps to get them into a carrier and it's a good way to immobilize them if ever you have to give them medicine or eye drops or anything like that.

Check YouTube for videos on how to purrito a cat. It's a useful trick.

Love the photos, they look very happy.

:heartshape: