Feral Kitten loudly crying. What should we do?

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night, my husband heard a cat crying outside. We went outside to see what was going on and saw a small kitten (between 6-8 weeks) outside by our air conditioning unit. He/she was crying very loudly and wouldn't stop. I also noticed a larger cat in our driveway that wouldn't come to us or respond to our calls - we thought that was maybe the mama. We went inside to grab some wet food for them, and by the time we got back out there, the larger cat was nowhere to be seen (we looked for it) and the kitten was still frantically crying. We have snakes, owls, and coyotes out where we live, so we didn't want to leave it outside with no shelter if the mama had left it. So we managed to catch the kitten and set it up in our shed for the night with blankets, wet food, hard food, and water. It's summertime, so it's pretty warm, and I don't think the kitten was cold. We left the garage door to the shed cracked open at the bottom so that if the mama wanted to find it, she could, or if the kitten wanted to leave, it could. But at least it would be protected from predators for the night. This morning at 5:00 am, the kitten was back in the same spot by the A/C unit crying again. Only one of the cans of wet food was eaten a little when we looked in the shed. We still couldn't find mama kitty anywhere this morning. We set the kitten back up in the shed before I had to leave for work, but we're concerned that the mama abandoned it.

What should we do? I can't tell how old the baby is, but it's at least 5 weeks old, no older than 8 weeks, and even that's generous. It won't let you near it. It's been crying loudly and non-stop this morning. Do you think the mama cat will come back for it? Did we do something wrong? Do we need to bring it in the house? We're at a loss, any advice would be greatly appreciated. We just didn't want it to get eaten by common predators and wanted to help.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is missing its mama and is most likely hungry and lonely. Keep it warm and fed and it should be fine, some kitten replacement milk or goat's milk would be good (found at Walmart), keep an eye out for mama. NO cows milk. If mama does not come back, then you will have to decide what to do. Bring it inside if you can to keep it safe. If it starts eating well, a local shelter may be able to take it, but this is kitten season and they are most likely swamped. Bless you, for helping, it would have died if not for your help.....

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the mom may have left it. They do that sometimes if the kitten has something wrong like an URI. I just rescued one that the mom had left and got it to the animal shelter in time to save it. It was very dehydrated and had some sort of infection that was cleared up with antibiotics. She is doing well now. If the kitten is still there when you return, you should bring it in if you can.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping this kitten. In my experience with ferals, (does not mean I have to be right though) it is an abandoned kitten. Mother cats who are able or willing usually return by this time. You did not do anything wrong; if you can get it, bring it inside for safety. It does not have much of a chance out in the open. You can get more help here if you need it.

Kitten Lady

This is a very helpful site. Read what you can for now; you don't need to read the whole thing, so don't be overwhelmed.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Seconding the information fionasmom fionasmom wrote above. The website is super helpful.

Check for fleas as well when you bring the kitten in. You might need to do a quick bath which I believe Hannah has posted a how to on the website fionasmom posted.

A vet visit should be had. Kitten formula is easily accessible through online resources such as a petstore or Amazon delivery if the kitten won't eat too much wet food. Royal Canin's mother and babycat is rehydratable but also available in wet cans at most places.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, you say the kitten is feral. He or she will tame very easily at that age. Definitely check for fleas as these can cause a little kitten to become dangerously anaemic very quickly. Kitten Lady is good. I watch quite a lot of her videos. So informative. Thank you for helping this little one.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems cruel, but I'd separate kittens from their feral mother as soon as I can safely do so. As far as placement in a home goes, bringing them in sooner is better. Those domestic bits of the cat brain need human contact, or else you'll just end up with another unmanageable feral that will live out its life in fear until it's eaten by a coyote. Mama might miss it for a couple days, but she's probably already in her next heat cycle tbh.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems cruel, but I'd separate kittens from their feral mother as soon as I can safely do so. As far as placement in a home goes, bringing them in sooner is better. Those domestic bits of the cat brain need human contact, or else you'll just end up with another unmanageable feral that will live out its life in fear until it's eaten by a coyote. Mama might miss it for a couple days, but she's probably already in her next heat cycle tbh.
Can you trap her and get tnr done?

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten was 4 weeks old and very ill when we took him in + had fleas and was anemic & ringworm. If you bring it in, I’d recommend quarantining the little guy from other pets and household members and washing hand throughly after handling until it’s had a vet check up. Definitely want to bring him in as soon as possible if he’s been abandoned, any health issues, hunger and dehydration will be extra tough on a baby!
At four weeks the vet told us our boy was ok with wet food instead of milk. He gave us “hill’s science a/d” wet food. You can order it from Amazon or major pet stores but your vet will probably have some he could give you as well. It’s a “urgent care” food that will make sure he’s getting everything he needs at that young age (especially if there any kind of sickness or anemia)! Hopefully all goes well! If you have any questions let me know! I’m no expert on cats, but I did go through a similar thing recently! And keep us updated either way 😊😊

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hills a/d is prescription food so only your vet can order it though he should have some on hand. Better than buying a 24 pk unless you can get samples. Only to be used temporary. It's like kitty crack so wait and see if she needs it. It is an excellent option if she needs it!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take this baby inside… thank you ❤ She was abandoned by the mom or a person. She will tame in time, not too long, you can do purritos to get her used to human touch.

It sounds like she is old enough to eat solid food so canned kitten food and or dry food and freshwater, TLC, play and interaction is what she needs. If you have other cats isolate her in the room for two weeks and take her to DVM to get any treatments and testing she needs. Clearly she wants to come in your house or she would not be screaming outside by the air conditioner.