Feral kitten.. how long does it take her to adjust to her new home?

kittygirl587

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I found a very tiny kitten crying in my garage. Approximately 8 weeks old. I finally got her in a crate and brought her inside about 4-5 days ago. She has been very scared and liked to hide under things. I can get her to come out and play, she comes out to use the litter box and eat. Occasionally i pet her while she’s under the sink and she purrs and lets me pet her belly. We have been making some progress; however, when nighttime comes around she cries incessantly. I’m currently writing this at 5 in the morning after being woken up several times. She has everything she needs at night and isn’t meowing for my attention as she runs away when i look at her. I just need some reassurance that she will adjust to her new home. How long does it take a fur baby to stop crying and do you have any tips for me? TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi she will adjust :) but how long it might take is different for every cat.
Try a warming bed, and a purr toy and a heartbeat toy, and also intermittent low volume classical harp music for overnight.

Weighing her will be a challenge at the moment, I realize that, but just be sure she's eating lots. Even some kitten glop could be helpful to make up for her time outside alone.

Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines.

Will you be taking her in for a checkup?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would she be allowed to sleep with you? She mau be crying because of lonliness. Stray/feral cats are nocturnal, so she is most likely used to staying up at night. Even if she is with you at night, itvwould take a few days for her to get used to YOUR schedule. Try keeping her up a little more during the day with play. Play longer before bed and make sure she has a good meal. This will all straighten out in time, just like with a newborn baby!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pick the kitten up and put her on your chest and pet her (I did my best fake puurrr.) That and feed the kitten meals. At 8 weeks you may want to offer her whole goats milk or some KMR mixed into her wet food (at that age I fed the kittens 6 meals a day plus a little kitten dry food. My adult cat eats mostly wet and he prefers 4 mini meals a day, cats ate grazers that eat small snacks all day.) Having the kitten see you give them food will help socialize them.

Play is a great way to bond with the new baby kitten. If you don’t have any other cats I strongly suggest adopting a second kitten. A second kitten will entertain your kitten & best of all teach your kittens how to be gentle.

When we got the 4 week old kittens I put them on my chest under a blanket & puuurrrred at them. I later learned that cats feel safer in a hide hole, burrow or in a box 📦 on it’s side with a towel draped over it or under a blanket. So it may help.

Take tons of pictures and videos; they grow up so fast!!!!! 😻

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I slept with the baby kittens (on the couch)until they were 3 months old. The kitten I adopted slept in my bed...., it helps give them comfort. Though he did try to wake me to play for a couple of weeks at 3 months old when he no longer had his siblings to play with (I played dead.)

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Food,food is your savior. Hand feed the kitty, do not leave food in the bowl. The best way to bond with skittish cat is food. Use a spoon or if you can your hand, the point is for kitten to connect food with you. Sorry for repeating this but its the best fastest and maybe , sometimes only way.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I found a very tiny kitten crying in my garage. Approximately 8 weeks old. I finally got her in a crate and brought her inside about 4-5 days ago. She has been very scared and liked to hide under things. I can get her to come out and play, she comes out to use the litter box and eat. Occasionally i pet her while she’s under the sink and she purrs and lets me pet her belly. We have been making some progress; however, when nighttime comes around she cries incessantly. I’m currently writing this at 5 in the morning after being woken up several times. She has everything she needs at night and isn’t meowing for my attention as she runs away when i look at her. I just need some reassurance that she will adjust to her new home. How long does it take a fur baby to stop crying and do you have any tips for me? TIA!
Peaches was found in a hole 5 weeks old. I let her loose and she immediately ran around playing! Huge eater. No potty training needed though I admit,first couple days she would shoot her poo to the handle bars and play in it her crying will eventually stop it helped that she had my cat josie to socialize with her.
20170418_070141-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a former female cat that i found in very bad shape 12 years ago. It took 18 months before she decided (note she decided) to completely accept me. Rescue workers told me to let her loose into a feral colony after I had her a year and that I did all I could do. They said once in a while a kitten won't be tamed, and a feral colony because she is probably an alpha female and I did all I could do! After old woman I met one day gave me the best advice! Leave her alone take care of her , but let her decide to accept me. One day after eighteen months (of biting me) she climbed into my lap as I was watching tv and we have been friends since. I have two big males much bigger then her, but she rules. Feed your cat take care of all her needs, but let her come to you! Cats pick who they want to be friends with especially that she is feral. Have patience! Good luck! Remember CATS Rule! .....haha

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is prolly lonely so let her sleep next to you. Give her lots of attention. Feed her several x a day, spoon feed her, leave dry food out.

Play music, purrli, toys, heart beat etc. play with her to tire her out before bed. Get some self interacting toys she can use if she wakes up when you’re asleep so hopefully she won’t wake you.

They are all different, Angie kept me up while Tess slept all night. In time she will adjust. A kitten companion if possible is great.