Feral kitten foster meowing strangely

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good decision, well thought out with respect to the totality of your what you're dealing with - which includes the huge change in the kitten's behaviour (so suprisingly soon) and its warming up to you. FWIW, adult cats accept kittens very readily compared to other older cats, so chances of a smooth integration are likely good.

My wish and hope for the mom cat is that she wouldn't be deemed "feral" - meaning incorrigibly wild - without the benefit of an assessment by an experienced rescuer. Many - probably most - animal sheltering organizations today use experienced foster homes to assess and prepare these animals for adoption. Yes, there are "overwhelmed" shelters, just not all of them (and, consider Covid effects). Jcatbird Jcatbird spoke about persistence in pursuing those folks - that is what it takes/the reality these days. It can pay off, and it has. Do, please consider this.

There are hundreds of stories on this site from people who have taken in seemingly "feral" cats, provided a safe, caring environment and watched them blossom into lap cats........all they needed: the opportunity.

Updates will be looked forward to - and, you know, pictures are never be refused here :lol:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW....just WOW !

And..........he's a redhead...........no blessed wonder he gave you such a rough time!

I know all about that..........there's one of them here!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The plan that is best for you is the plan you should follow. I have visited animal shelters in many states and have seen the vast disparity in resources, protocols and basic attitudes, laws and regulations. Unfortunately the one thing that they have in common is that dogs get priority over cats and cats are more quickly vilified. In time, perhaps during inclement weather, you can consider bringing in mama kitty. I would try naming her now with a respectful name that ends in a long vowel sound or "x" ( avoid names like "stinky" "buttface" "fatso",etc) and call her by her name when you feed. That will establish a connection early on and make her realize that your yard is home now and you can also tell her that, so she can settle down and feel secure. I have an unfixed Tom in my yard who is trap-savvy after breaking out of my traps - my place was just a stop on his rounds until I named him Mike - now he stays here 24/7 and quit beating up my cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The plan that is best for you is the plan you should follow. I have visited animal shelters in many states and have seen the vast disparity in resources, protocols and basic attitudes, laws and regulations. Unfortunately the one thing that they have in common is that dogs get priority over cats and cats are more quickly vilified. In time, perhaps during inclement weather, you can consider bringing in mama kitty. I would try naming her now with a respectful name that ends in a long vowel sound or "x" ( avoid names like "stinky" "buttface" "fatso",etc) and call her by her name when you feed. That will establish a connection early on and make her realize that your yard is home now and you can also tell her that, so she can settle down and feel secure. I have an unfixed Tom in my yard who is trap-savvy after breaking out of my traps - my place was just a stop on his rounds until I named him Mike - now he stays here 24/7 and quit beating up my cats.
Thank you! And I do greet her with Mama, she seems to recognize it.

though this isn’t a realistic time for me to bring her in, I plan to continue feeding her and I’ll work to earn her trust.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boggy is adorable! He is already showing happy, curious, confident body language - clearly thriving in your care. Amazing results for a first-timer, especially with a kitten over 3 weeks old. Congratulations on excellent instincts ... My fellow TCS family -- we have a natural :clapcat: :clap::dance::beerchug:

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi all, some updates.

due to a cancellation, I was able to move mama’s appointment to tomorrow (Monday). I caught her and right now she’s in my bedroom so she can get out of the heat for the night.

Boggy is still doing really well. He started seeking out pets today, and yesterday I was out and some family had to take care of him, and he came out to spend time with them immediately!

I’m not sure yet what my plan is with mama since it suddenly came up. Even if I just do TNR, I’ll continue feeding her and trying to get her socialized from my backyard (I know that it would be easier if she was inside, but I still don’t know if that’s realistic for me right now.)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazing news about Boggy - it bodes well for the way forward.

Remember now, moma needs to be kept in a safe (preferably quiet and darkened) recovery space for about 24 hours - and observed for possible complications....which means whoever the observer, they need to be briefed on what to be on the lookout for. You'll want to ensure her release is as stress-free as possible too, as ideally, you'll want her to stay around. (that is, of course, if you end up following the original plan).

Wish you the best!

I'm presuming you know she shouldn't be fed overnight - water is fine, though.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap: :clapcat:
Amazing news about Boggy - it bodes well for the way forward.

Remember now, moma needs to be kept in a safe (preferably quiet and darkened) recovery space for about 24 hours - and observed for possible complications....which means whoever the observer, they need to be briefed on what to be on the lookout for. You'll want to ensure her release is as stress-free as possible too, as ideally, you'll want her to stay around. (that is, of course, if you end up following the original plan).

Wish you the best!

I'm presuming you know she shouldn't be fed overnight - water is fine, though.
Yay!! Boggy is doing great and mama is getting the surgery that will be a game changer for her...she will become more kittenish again. She will probably recover more quickly in her normal surroundings but if you decide she can stay indoors, that is alright. As previously mentioned, quiet & dark are key. It takes about 3 days for a cat to figure out the sounds, scents and schedules of those in its new area.

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama’s surgery went fine, and I released her just now back into my backyard. I’m going to keep feeding her in the evenings.

I had planned to keep her indoors just a few more days, but she wasn’t eating or drinking anything In the crate, and the vet recommended against letting her loose inside because she’s “truly feral.”

I’ll check on her when I can. Hopefully she sticks around.

In Boggy updates, he’s started climbing up on my shoulder (his own idea) and he’s becoming a quick cuddlebug. And also he jumps around on my legs like Tarzan, which is less cute, but he at least knows the difference between clothes and skin and doesn’t intentionally scratch me. I think the only problem he’s still having is he’s scared of me when I’m standing at my full height, but he’s slowly getting better about it.

I asked the vet to let me know if there are any cancellations so I can move up, otherwise he’ll get his first checkup and shots on the 2nd, and Kiki (my adult cat) will get hers up-to-date that day too. Between work and the cats it’s been hard to have time for chores, but I’ll try to kitten-proof the house before I start letting him wander.

Not sure what else there will be to update here, thanks for the feedback as always though.

A1D7A38A-AE66-4BE0-98F5-69E0A6966986.jpeg

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more update, Boggy is now allowed to roam. He’s picking fights with my other cat Kiki, but I think he’s starting to calm down, and it hasn’t gotten beyond quiet hissing and some warning swats.
0536E5EF-F7E4-4702-834F-0A8CAC754F92.jpeg

7A91B254-F85B-42EF-B199-1671E5170EBE.jpeg

(And yes I know Kiki is overweight, she has been since I got her and we’re working on it)

hope everyone’s good, and thanks again
F3438E62-5752-4897-B3ED-1FA2A6034441.jpeg

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! What a difference a month can make !

There's likely to be more than hissing in their future. Without Boggy having had the benefit of mama and littermates to teach him the usual social skills, he'll learn from Kiki - whose patience may not be what a mom's might have been.

What about Mama.....has she made your house her home base ?

FWIW......if it's doable, a very, very slow and gradual transition to an all-wet diet is the best weight management strategy.