Feral kitten foster meowing strangely

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I took a feral kitten in from my yard, it’s about 8 weeks old. It’s been about three days now since I brought it in.

I expected some crying at night but it’s started constantly yelling, it sounds angry and almost like barking? At first it would stop when I was nearby, but now it’s doing it when I’m in the room.

This is my first time socializing a feral kitten, I’m concerned maybe this means I messed up somewhere. I’m keeping the kitten in my bathroom, and when I got it it took a little bit of chasing so I probably scared it more than I was supposed to. (Also I have another cat if that’s relevant, but I’m keeping them separated and my cat is pretty relaxed all things considered.)

I’m concerned it will keep up the noise or that it has some underlying cause I don’t recognize. I haven’t gotten any sleep tonight because of it and I’m worried it’s also bothering my neighbors.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you able to pick it up or pet it? Did you see any other kittens or the mother before you brought him inside? There were kittens born in our yard and I started feeding them and the mother. I’m guessing by the size they were about 8 weeks old. I brought one inside because it looked like he had something wrong with his back legs and took him to the vet. His legs were fine so I decided to keep him inside. When he was at the vet he got his first distemper shot and deworming. He was quiet the first day after but I was really surprised he was very friendly later. I kept him separated from my other indoor cats until he completed all his shots. He is so loving and is buddies with one of my 2 year old cats. Cats like people are all different and have their own personalities so either he misses his siblings/mother or maybe there is a health issue. How did he act toward you when he was outside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you able to pick it up or pet it? Did you see any other kittens or the mother before you brought him inside? There were kittens born in our yard and I started feeding them and the mother. I’m guessing by the size they were about 8 weeks old. I brought one inside because it looked like he had something wrong with his back legs and took him to the vet. His legs were fine so I decided to keep him inside. When he was at the vet he got his first distemper shot and deworming. He was quiet the first day after but I was really surprised he was very friendly later. I kept him separated from my other indoor cats until he completed all his shots. He is so loving and is buddies with one of my 2 year old cats. Cats like people are all different and have their own personalities so either he misses his siblings/mother or maybe there is a health issue. How did he act toward you when he was outside?
So far I’m not able to get closer than about two feet away from it without it running from me. It’s the only kitten, this kitten and the mom have been in my yard since it was born.

I’ve been feeding the mom for maybe a month now, and she keeps her distance but comes right out when it’s food time. The baby had never come out while I was around.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It took a few months of feeding the kittens in our yard before one of them would slowly come to my hand to sniff but wouldn’t let me pet her. It takes time. Their mother cat won’t come within 3+4 feet of me. She started wandering off when the kittens were about 10 weeks old and I wouldn’t see her for days, sometimes weeks unless she was coming back at night.
But she has started showing up again...for food. I see her in the mornings sitting near the door. So I feed her. (Her kittens are on my enclosed porch)
Do you talk to the kitten in a low voice? Keep offering your hand to him and in time he’ll should feel safe enough to take a sniff.

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It took a few months of feeding the kittens in our yard before one of them would slowly come to my hand to sniff but wouldn’t let me pet her. It takes time. Their mother cat won’t come within 3+4 feet of me. She started wandering off when the kittens were about 10 weeks old and I wouldn’t see her for days, sometimes weeks unless she was coming back at night.
But she has started showing up again...for food. I see her in the mornings sitting near the door. So I feed her. (Her kittens are on my enclosed porch)
Do you talk to the kitten in a low voice? Keep offering your hand to him and in time he’ll should feel safe enough to take a sniff.
I’m not surprised it’s still scared, and I’m fine with it taking time to approach me. I just don’t know why it’s making this noise all day and night.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering if he was eating the food when he was outside. Is he eating since he’s been inside? Also wondering if because he was the only kitten could he still be nursing...Maybe he just doesn’t want to be closed in...

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much time do you spend with him?
For the other questions, he didn’t eat the food, but mama ate all of it right away when I put it out so he didn’t get a chance. He’s been eating at night since I brought him inside.

I’ve been spending a few hours a day sitting in there and talking or playing a podcast. Last night he started yelling even while I was talking, but leaving my phone in there to play a podcast has kept him quiet today.

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s still yelling today, and earlier it seemed to be sneaking closer to me while it was yelling, and I think it maybe intended to attack me.

I’m getting some Feliway in today that I hope will help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
earlier it seemed to be sneaking closer to me while it was yelling, and I think it maybe intended to attack me.
Maybe not. Do you have a ticking clock? Muffle it with a towel and place it near where he sleeps, or try a heartbeat toy or purr toy.
He might like low volume classical harp music, it is known to help calm kittens :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Where is the mother now? Maybe this kitten is calling for her? If they were still together when you took this kitten in, it is probably in complete shock over the changes of what it was experiencing when it was with mom and what it is experiencing now. Are you giving it a secure and blanketed area in the bathroom - something it can nuzzle in for comfort and security?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi tbk123 and welcome to the forum !

Frankly, from my viewpoint, the most commonsense, practical and, quite frankly humane solution would be to reunite mom and kitten.

Eight weeks is far too early to be separating them, when there's no exceptional cogent reason to do so - and, your wanting a kitten would not qualify in that category, LOL.

I'm not at all surprised at his reaction. His world, as he knew it with the security of being with his mom (and, remember, he was in all probability still nursing on her)....that has been not only turned upside down, but also seemingly traumatically so. You did say:
"when I got it it took a little bit of chasing so I probably scared it more than I was supposed to..."
I wouldn't expect him to behave any differently. And, confining him in the tiny space of a bathroom after and including all of that....well, to me, it's just unacceptable.

Are you able to bring the mom in as well ?

If you are not, I feel the next best resolution would be to capture the mother (with a humane trap) and reunite and surrender both to a rescue organization that could properly care for them until the kitten is ready for adoption while having the mom spayed.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that, even if the kitten 'calms down'.......that will be one very maladjusted feline. I have real doubts that the kitten will ever be able to accept being with you, given the entirety of the situation.

(A rescue group will also be more amenable to taking them from you.......if you are 'in the market' for another kitten/cat.)

I wonder if one of our resident rescue experts will weigh in on all this....maybe shadowsrescue shadowsrescue - ?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, poor baby! Sounds like s/he is yelping for its mother cat. Likely she is outside calling back - you will need to reassure them both that the baby is okay with you. The ticking click, a stuffed toy and even a heated rice-or-cormeal filled sock will provide comfort. You are on the right track regarding the confined space - kitty needs to establish a "base camp" to have as a secure, safe place. I recommend a cave-like facility such as a box or carrier with door propped open. The nest should have a scent-soaker such as a worn T-shirt or sweater that has your scent to help kitty get used to human scent. Remember - his mama has told him his entire life that humans mean danger & possibly eat kittens. To compensate for that, you can calmly & confidently pick the kitten up gently and hold it on a thick towel or blanket on your lap. Place a small hand towel over its body & comfort groom it with small 'J' strokes with a soft toothbrush or plastic comb. When you go to pick it up, never approach it head-on; come from the side and behind instead. If you have to, put a small towel over it and scoop it up with that. Talk soothingly - it may not understand the words but will realize the emotion. Do not feel worry, guilt, fear or other negativity - kittens sense emotions. Instead, tell your kitten and yourself that its days as a feral are over & it is finally home. If you can, get mama cat spayed soon.
Jcatbird Jcatbird and Sarthur2 Sarthur2 likely have excellent suggestions, too. I thank W whiteshadow for the vote of confidence.

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today has been surprising. Kitten has been eating in front of me and came up to sniff me earlier, and right now has been sitting in front of me just nodding off for a while? Oh it just got closer

white shadow white shadow no I didn’t take it in because I wanted a kitten. I took it in because I called hotlines and rescues and no one is able to take them, and from what I researched I thought if I could socialize it then I ought to try. If this was too young, then I’m afraid I was misinformed, but so far it’s improving already.

catsknowme catsknowme thank you for the advice! I do have blankets around, but it’s been avoiding them. I have air conditioning on, but we’re in AZ and I think the blankets are too warm. And yes, mama is outside, though I haven’t heard her meow for a few days.

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that part of the problem has honestly been that I have a very echoey bathroom. It magnifies all the noise in here by a lot.

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go ahead and bring the mom cat inside until she is spayed.
I don’t think I’m able to do that. All I have is my bathroom which isn’t the biggest and she’s fully feral, I’ve been feeding her for over a month and she still won’t get within three feet of me.

tbk123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme about what White Shadow said, is it better to release it back to its mom than keep it inside?

It’s been very confusing because all the resources I find talk about what to do with younger kittens or abandoned kittens, and everything seems to agree socializing is best, but nothing I found talked about what to do when the mom is still there if you can’t bring in the mom